Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2018, 06:20 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
on the bold...

I'm black. I live in Ohio and it gets just as cold here in the winter as New England. My family has lived here since the 1840s. I have family who moved from OH and MI and IN in the 19th century to Canada and still have family there.

The bold is really silly.
For some people, it is easier to stereotype. And it is sad.

If cold weather was such a problem, my grandparents would not have moved to Wisconsin from Mississippi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
My husband and I lived in Atlanta in "the bluff" and we made over 6 figures at that time (prior to him starting his business). You'd be surprised that there are many black people who stay in "slummy" areas for various reasons.

ETA: I remember reading an article on this very forum about Milwaukee that featured a black couple who made over $100k who also lived in the hood. Also, I added quotes around "slummy" because that depends on the person. Even though I lived in English Avenue in Atlanta, to me it was a close knit neighborhood. Often the way outsiders view these neighborhoods is not how they actually are. Unless one is involved in a criminal lifestyle or likes to flaunt - they won't have much if any issues with living in a poor, urban, black neighborhood. We never had any issues at all there and actually got to know a lot of people and helped to improve the neighborhood and surrounding communities.
There are some Blacks that would do that. However, alot of Blacks try to live in other places. The way I see it, most people of any race/ethnicity will live where their money allows them to. There are middle upper class people who do stay in rougher, poorer areas. However, there are many more who avoid living in such areas when they have the money to do so. I've seen alot of middle upper class Blacks in Cascade Heights. Alot of nice homes, homes I can't afford. In Adamsville, not that far away, is a very rough area. I commuted through there via the bus many times. I never saw any middle or middle upper class people. It just looked scary to me. Stores with bars on the window, the area just looked very run down. I never felt any of that fear in Cascade Heights.

Old 07-30-2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
If they need more younger people because of an aging population just say that. We need more younger workers. It's odd they feel they have to attract people by race.
That would help if they just mentioned young people.

Old 07-30-2018, 06:46 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,766,886 times
Quote:
Not asburd - see my post earlier. I know I wouldn't move to a 98% white town. Not because I think anything negative (or suprerior/inferior) of white people - but just because I like living around black people in general. My cousin moved away not because she hated or disliked white people but because she missed black people and our cultural activities, businesses, and in person relationships.
Yes, as a foreigner in Japan I understand that it is natural to feel out of place sometimes when you are an extreme racial minority. I meant that, from the point of view of Northern New England residents, it is an absurd strategy to try to lure talented minorities by bringing in lots of ordinary minorities. The drawbacks would far outweigh the benefits. New Hampshire businesses might do well adding a few hundred back professionals from the New York area. But if that requires bringing thousands of ordinary Newark residents to the state to build up the black culture infrastructure, the net effect on New Hampshire will likely not be positive.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:01 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,150,706 times
I wonder what the NYTimes would consider the correct and acceptable mix for New England, or for that matter, anywhere in the states. Should the percentages be precisely the same throughout the nation?

Should cities like Detroit be lambasted for being too black?

This is absurd.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:10 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,382,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And in my experience, the persons who complain the most about Blacks, Hispanics, and "foreigners" have been conservatives. Some persons also try to insulate themselves from said persons. You have bigots on both sides.
I have no idea how complaining about "Blacks, Hispanics, and foreigners"would make someone a bigot. Can you fill me in? Thanks in advance.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:00 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,022,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I worked in a place where Hispanics were a majority of the staff. I got bullied by some of my co-workers in a racially motivated way. I got called racial slurs by some of my co-workers. I eventually quit. The place I worked at is no longer standing. As for times Asian individuals, alot of what I dealt with was harassment, particularly at convenience stores. Basically, being hassled alot in stores, being treated like a criminal. I've also met a few Asians who said some racially charged things about Blacks, to my face, making racist jokes to my face.

Question. Are you asking these questions out of curiosity, or do you think I'm lying about all of this?
I'm intellectually curious. Thanks for the response. I don't doubt you at all. In fact, I'm under the impression that there is a lot of racism emanating from non-white populations towards others. In the US, we primarily (often only) hear about about white racism towards blacks and others.

Oh, and by the way, I believe there are black racists too. Some very prominent ones.

Old 07-30-2018, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
I have no idea how complaining about "Blacks, Hispanics, and foreigners"would make someone a bigot. Can you fill me in? Thanks in advance.
I don't know, let's start with the bigoted comments and just the general ill-spirited mentality that comes with it. I can't think of any reason for constantly making nasty remarks about minorities and foreigners other than to be bigoted.

Do not play dumb with me.

Old 07-30-2018, 11:51 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,037,455 times
Why, lately is an area that's 90% or more white seen as a terrible place that must immediately be made more diverse?
When people say that an area that's 90% or more black is a bad place, it's seen as a racist comment.
There are some states in America that have been settled by mostly whites; now if blacks choose to want o move there, they should be welcome to, but if they choose not to, why should the SJW push for it?
I don't get why an area, state, country that was initially settled by mostly whites, cause the SJW to insist it flooded with non whites immediately, like it's so horrible

Old 07-30-2018, 11:57 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,037,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Wherever Whitey goes...problems follow.

Absolutely!
It used to be SUCH a nice place to live, until all these Damn white people moved in, said no one, EVER
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies