Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2018, 11:55 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times

Advertisements

The cold is what keeps me from relocating to New Hampshire.

Brrrrrr .....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 12:34 PM

592 posts, read 502,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
It has kept their murder, violent crime, robbery, burglary and theft to the lowest levels in the USA.
Love NH especially because of the beautiful roads and landscape that is very enjoyable on 2 wheels. Only major problem for NH is the drug epidemic, most families have or know someone affected.

Old 07-31-2018, 12:42 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Truth is, Blacks generally faced resistance in most places they went to. New England as a region is not 100% White. States like Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine come very close though. The three states I mentioned were never industrially inclined states. This is why few Blacks went to states like Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire. Few people moved to those areas in general. It isn't like Blacks were banned from moving to such states. Few jobs meant few people moving to those areas.

Slaves were trying to go to Canada.

Blacks went to many place whether they were wanted there or not. Blacks faced alot of discrimination when they want to cities like Chicago and Detroit. Blacks were not treated well in the South at all. The South had a difference. Jim Crow was the law of the land EVERYWHERE in the South. Blacks started leaving between 1910 and 1970.

Oh, read this: https://www.vermontvacation.com/afri...nheritagetrail

The reason there were a large number of Blacks in Tennessee is because of the legacy of slavery. And for a while, many Blacks were leaving Tennessee. Nashville is attracting alot of people because it's a cheaper place to live with a milder climate, as well as an important river port. It is a major city. It is attracting alot of people, Black, White, and Hispanic. The country music industry helps too. Now, Mississippi is in the South and it isn't attracting many people. Many people don't want to be in Mississippi. southern New England isn't losing population. Rural northern New England, however, is losing population.
Good post--one reason for the lack of migration to northern NE was doubtless the lack of industry. I have a book I can recommend called The Warmth of Other Suns from about 10 years ago. I'm going to post about it soon. It's about the 'great migration' of blacks from South to North, which the author delineates as 1915 to 1970. A big factor was the labor shortage due to WWI. (The US army went from 200,000 to 4 million troops in 1917 alone.)

Industrial companies would send scouts posing as salesmen to the South. Author Isabel Wilkerson relates how the 'salesmen' would go to a black area, walk through a crowd, and whisper to them, 'Anybody interested in going to [say] Chicago, see me.' There was often not much persuasion needed due to Jim Crow practices. From 1910-1920 more blacks left the South than in the previous 5 decades. The book is very beautifully written, btw.

Old 07-31-2018, 12:52 PM

19,603 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Northern NE had textile and paper mills, but those jobs were already taken by European and Canadian immigrants. There was plenty of diversity among those groups.

Old 07-31-2018, 01:09 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,768,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
On this not sure where you are getting your info in regards to there being a "debate on how to bring blacks out of the south." There was no debate - the Great Migration of black people to northern/western states occurred because employers had shortages of workers in their industries so they went out and advertised for workers in the south and didn't exclude black workers. They lured a decent amount of black people to their areas. Once those black people were there - they were the ones who lured the rest to these regions by bringing their family, then encouraging their friends to join them.

I wouldn't say that New England was more racist or unwelcoming than the rest of the country - only that they didn't have the labor shortages then that other areas had because they were not areas where a lot of large scale manufacturing occurred - auto manufacturers and their equipment/supplier factories were huge draws for black people and even whites from Appalachia in the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic states.

Contrary to what you may believe, historically, black Americans have never really been wanted anywhere just because people liked us lol. Our ancestors moved to where the jobs were at.

The "Reverse Great Migration" occurring right now of black people moving to the south (including myself as I was in this as well) is occurring for the same reason - access to jobs in particular industries/fields. Once one of us moves there and it is true - there are a lot of jobs - we will encourage other black people to move there. I did the same thing and some of my aunts and cousins moved to metro Atlanta because I moved there and they came and visited, liked it, found a job easily so stayed. FWIW many of them are also looking to move to other areas because job opportunities aren't as plentiful in the metro. Many of my family members who moved to Atlanta have subsequently moved to the Dallas or Houston metro areas in Texas, to Phoenix AZ, to Charlotte NC, and some even have recently moved back to the Midwest, especially Detroit and Columbus OH.

If they seriously are having a job shortage in New England and there are a lot of jobs - they can advertise on minority media outlets/job boards and see about getting some people to move there and if it is a nice area - then the minorities will bring their friends/families. My cousin who moved to New England, she liked it there okay, but there wasn't a ton of jobs there that she could tell other friends/families about.

I'll also note that Boston actually did receive a large amount of black workers come to that area during The Great Migration (1910-1990).

Historically there actually have been black people in New England for many centuries. Most of the New England states had a system of slavery through the Revolutionary period (many beyond that - NY didn't abolish slavery until 1827). There were and are long standing free black communities there and cities like Boston in particular were bastions of where black American culture began to be formed in regards to the cultural tenet of activism in particular. Black activism began as a result of black people in New England, the Midwest (in smaller numbers), and the Mid-Atlantic (in larger numbers) being highly active in "community uplift," advocating for educational opportunities for free black children, and the total abolition of slavery - they actually started the underground rail road. So there is a long legacy of black history in New England that could and can be used to solidify the fact that black people "belong" and had a hand in the formation of those areas as well. I agree thought that there shouldn't be a "push" for blacks to move there just because - but if employers want to advertise to a more diverse population, I see no reason for them not to.
Well said. On the bolded part however, NY is not part of New England. LOL, but you'd be run out of New England for suggesting such a thing.

Old 07-31-2018, 01:33 PM

1 posts, read 376 times
Anyone who digs in will find NE was not interested in having blacks, or even Hispanics up there. Was said before and needs to be said so NE can know many people see through what they did - the Southern people, the leadership, always believed the NE was just as racist as people in the south. Up there it was hidden.

You cannot maintain a 100% white population in this country without taking measures to actively curb inbound movement. Either the Hispanics or the blacks or the asians or the Middle East comes in. Or in some cases all groups. There is just no way around it.

Now, those isolationist policies have come back to bite, and it's not going to be good for them. That also goes for places out west. However the west coast was open to many people and so it will be ok as the country changes. Many places out there are also heavy Hispanic.

Old 07-31-2018, 01:37 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times
Upper income liberals escaped the 'diversity' of NYC and Philadelphia and Boston. They won't be happy if the same people they shunned move in next door. Will this be like forced busing in the civil rights days?

Old 07-31-2018, 01:43 PM

19,603 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iololio View Post
Anyone who digs in will find NE was not interested in having blacks, or even Hispanics up there. Was said before and needs to be said so NE can know many people see through what they did - the Southern people, the leadership, always believed the NE was just as racist as people in the south. Up there it was hidden.

You cannot maintain a 100% white population in this country without taking measures to actively curb inbound movement. Either the Hispanics or the blacks or the asians or the Middle East comes in. Or in some cases all groups. There is just no way around it.

Now, those isolationist policies have come back to bite, and it's not going to be good for them. That also goes for places out west. However the west coast was open to many people and so it will be ok as the country changes. Many places out there are also heavy Hispanic.
Tell us specifically the measures these states took to keep out minorities. If you don't know, then you simply made it up.

Old 07-31-2018, 01:46 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
You must have never been to Detroit or any Great Lakes state lol. Again, my family has lived in the Great Lakes region since the 19th century. We have always had a need to shovel lol. We have long driveways, we have suburbs that many black people stay in (there are pockets of black people in nearly every rural-esque suburban community where I live) and they have snow blowers and tractors just like our whit neighbors to get rid of snow. I personally love the look of snow and don't get cold at all. As green_mariner mentioned, it depends on the person - not the race. I'm black. I lived in the southeast for nearly 20 years. I'd never move back because it is too hot there for me. I know many people who plan to move out of the south (or already have) because they are from the Midwest or just think it is too hot. Summers down south IMO are worse than winters. I'd rather shovel than feel like I'm sweating to death or not be able to go outside. The current summer we're in - we've had about 2 weeks of "hot" weather (over 90 degrees). Down south that would have started in April lol. I get to enjoy the outdoors now. When I get older though, I do plan on being a "snow bird" and living somewhere else during the winter - I'd like to live somewhere different every year while I can but we are also looking at buying a condo somewhere cheap right now for this purpose and using VRBO or AirBnB or a real estate company to rent it out for us since we're not retired yet.

You don't seem to have any idea what it is like in the Midwest. We don't have great public transportation - where I live it is horrible. In Ohio only Cleveland has commuter trains - Detroit doesn't and they don't have good public transportation either. We shovel. We walk in the cold. We shovel. They have "lake effect snow" in Cleveland - which is a majority black city (over 50% black). Cleveland has some wealthier majority black suburbs as well. People who grow up in the Midwest are used to to dealing with snow regardless of race.

It is silly to think it is the snow/cold that is stopping black people from moving to New England. Snow and cold really isn't that big of a deal and it is fun to play in/sled on.
Or how about Minnesota. Minnesota has seen its Black population quadruple over the last 35 years. American and foreign-born Blacks. And not only in Minneapolis and St. Paul. Smaller cities and towns like Rochester,MN, St. Cloud,MN, and Faribault,MN have seen rapid increases of its Black populations.

Anyone who lives in the Midwest will adjust to shoveling snow, regardless of race. I agree with you on that. My father is from Wisconsin, he knows a thing or two about that.

As someone who once lived in the Pacific Northwest and currently lives in the Atlanta area, I'd rather deal with winter over summer any day of the week. Winters in the Seattle are chilly, but they are not Midwestern cold. I will take a cold, damp foggy winter day over a hot, humid Atlanta area afternoon. I will take the snow and cold over hot, humid summers.

Old 07-31-2018, 01:52 PM

20,097 posts, read 8,998,912 times
Image result for top 10 whitest states in america
States with the highest percentages of non-Hispanic Whites, as of 2007:

Vermont 95.4%
Maine 94.8%

West Virginia 93.7%
New Hampshire 93.4%
Iowa 90.9%
North Dakota 90.2%
Montana 88.3%
Kentucky 88.1%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies