Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2018, 05:14 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,748,882 times

Advertisements

Oh great some idiot in the state education department made a dumb comment so now we'll have to ship in a bunch of refugees to prove we're not racist. I bet someone's on the phone with the Lutherans right now.

https://apnews.com/9f3796a2a292427fb186dbff192f7fb1

https://patch.com/new-hampshire/conc...esspool-remark

Thanks a lot, idiot. Now we're going to have to virtue signal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .
"Diversity for diversity's sake doesn't bring us anything," Schinella wrote. "An extreme example? 1,300 illegal alien Dominican drug dealers moving from Lawrence (Massachusetts) to, say, Concord (New Hampshire) will make the state 1% more diverse ... but it would also bring more crime, higher taxes for public safety."

Schinella added, "We don't want or need New Hampshire to become any kind of cesspool. We have enough problems and many of us don't want or need to pay more taxes because the new people moving in."

Most of his comments actually make sense but then he adds in that little tidbit at the end and screws us all.

Last edited by Fifty Seven; 08-03-2018 at 05:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 07:33 AM

20,327 posts, read 19,914,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Adobes? .
Mud huts with thatched roofs?

Pagoda style dwellings?

Huge concrete apartment blocks in the Soviet style?

Old 08-03-2018, 06:13 PM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Ok, well, I lived there long enough to know that no one would care. The NYSlimes calling Maine "too white" doesn't mean that the NYSlimes even understands Maine or the people who live there.

Maine is the "live and let live" state, and the people actually believe that to their very core. They don't bother you, they leave you alone, and that's how they like it.

So would you be treated poorly there? NO! And no, no one is going to treat you like a trinket or pepper you with questions because you're not a white person. They. Don't. Care.

What Mainers care about is WHO you are, not what you look like. I know a lot of people say that all over this country, but in Maine, that's actually how it is: WHO you are is ALL that matters. (Meaning your behaviors, your attitudes, etc.)
I haven't been to Maine. Actually, I've never been New England. This is where I'm coming from. I'm not saying that New England as a whole is racist. I'm not saying that Maine is racist. I'm not really talking specifically about New England. I was merely speaking about things to consider when one moves to a new place and they know they will stand out. That is all. Not saying anything bad about Maine or New England. Just talking in general terms about a situation. It does relate to northern New England in a way.

Old 08-03-2018, 06:28 PM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
Speaking as a black person who has spent quite a bit of time in Vermont and parts of NH and Maine, I can almost entirely assure you that you’ll be fine. I’m not saying that the area is void of racists (is there any place that is?), but people are right in that it’s a “live and let live” type of mentality. I would move to VT (specifically Montpelier) I’m a heart beat except: 1) I never learned how to drive; 2) poor employment opportunities; 3) surprisingly higher-than-expected cost of living (especially in Burlington, which I suppose is due to the college). The ungodly cold, I can handle (I’ve been chuckling nonstop at all these “Black people don’t like the cold” responses when nearly all of my relatives immigrated to either Boston or Montreal from the Caribbean. Many of them are out heee complaining about this hot and humid summer the East has been having). I’d much rather live in Maine/VT/NH than in Georgia/Florida/Texas—I don’t function well when the temps go above 85 and I refuse to spend an entire season stuck indoors in front of an AC. Having said that, I’m not a “typical” black person in that I love the outdoors (I’m the rare one who loves camping and hiking) and enjoy hobbies that typically don’t feature many POC (I’ve only met two other POC LARPers who were not Asian). I’m used to be “the only” and it doesn’t bother me so long as it doesn’t bother anyone else.

Anyways, POCs do exist and live in these states without issue. If anyone has ever given me a curious stare, it’s most likely because I have crazy hair (last time I was in VT, I had purple and neon green fake locs).
And I'm not saying Maine and Vermont won't be like that.

I can handle cold weather too. If I move anywhere with very cold winters, I will just get warm clothes and on the upside, more sledding and beautiful snow for me. I'll take a cold winter day or a hot, humid summer afternoon.

In addition to Caribbean immigrants settling in Boston and Montreal (Haitians especially), there are some Somalian refugees living in Maine. Anyone who says "Blacks can't take the cold" is talking crazy in my opinion.

My point was this. And it was not directed at New England specifically. This thread was mainly about northern New England being 95%+ White. What I was talking about is that going to a place where a person stands out demographically, one might consider the reception said person could get. It was not directed specifically at New England or even talking bad about New England. This is more a general situation, and not limited to areas that are predominantly White.

Old 08-03-2018, 06:37 PM

30,254 posts, read 23,725,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And I'm not saying Maine and Vermont won't be like that.

I can handle cold weather too. If I move anywhere with very cold winters, I will just get warm clothes and on the upside, more sledding and beautiful snow for me. I'll take a cold winter day or a hot, humid summer afternoon.

In addition to Caribbean immigrants settling in Boston and Montreal (Haitians especially), there are some Somalian refugees living in Maine. Anyone who says "Blacks can't take the cold" is talking crazy in my opinion.

My point was this. And it was not directed at New England specifically. This thread was mainly about northern New England being 95%+ White. What I was talking about is that going to a place where a person stands out demographically, one might consider the reception said person could get. It was not directed specifically at New England or even talking bad about New England. This is more a general situation, and not limited to areas that are predominantly White.
I understood what you were saying, but what I was saying is that in New England, and I can say only what I observed in Maine, is that you don't even have to ask that question about moving to Maine. No one cares what you look like. They genuinely do not care.

You will get the ribbing for being an "outsider" or "from away", regardless of race. You will get a whole lot of very dry humor. And as long as you (general "you") are not a whiner, don't demand that people help you or give you things, as long as you try, as long as you make a concerted effort to get your own self through life, you'll find out that you'll make a LOT of friends there.

If you like the cold and you ever move to New England, trust me on this brand: Carhart.

You will be very glad that you bought it. Takes forever! to break in, but it is worth every bit of that breaking in.

Old 08-04-2018, 06:29 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,768,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I understood what you were saying, but what I was saying is that in New England, and I can say only what I observed in Maine, is that you don't even have to ask that question about moving to Maine. No one cares what you look like. They genuinely do not care.

You will get the ribbing for being an "outsider" or "from away", regardless of race. You will get a whole lot of very dry humor. And as long as you (general "you") are not a whiner, don't demand that people help you or give you things, as long as you try, as long as you make a concerted effort to get your own self through life, you'll find out that you'll make a LOT of friends there.

If you like the cold and you ever move to New England, trust me on this brand: Carhart.

You will be very glad that you bought it. Takes forever! to break in, but it is worth every bit of that breaking in.
Yes, Carhartt is your friend up here for cold weather and rugged wear clothes.

And you are absolutely right on the reception any newcomer would get. Be a good neighbor and community member and you'll be embraced by the community in return. I often say accept the people and community as they are and they'll accept you in return.

Old 08-04-2018, 08:00 AM

30,350 posts, read 19,138,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Diversity, in its current form, has pretty much been dumbed down to melanin and genital differences. That's it.

Nothing whatsoever to do with cultures.
That northern New England "whiteness" can be cured with vacations to Florida, Arizona with sunscreen....there now, "whiteness" cure.

Old 08-11-2018, 07:56 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,453,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
That was a movie. Not real life.
.... a movie.... based off real events in Philadelphia, MS in the early 1960s... so yea....

Old 08-11-2018, 08:12 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,453,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Good God, please tell me you're not so ignorant as to think the film was a documentary using footage from that time. It was a piece of propaganda, and to say it was "based on" those killings falsely lends it credence it doesn't deserve. It's dishonest to say it was based on those killings. It was based on the moviemakers' political agenda.
The political agenda that racism and segregation is wrong? That's an agenda I can get behind.

Old 08-11-2018, 08:52 PM

21,463 posts, read 10,566,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Northern New England is wicked white. The NYT wants you to know that this is a huge, HUGE problem.

All those white people braving the snowy white Northern New England winters, then enjoying themselves doing white people stuff at their summer camps and cottages by the lake. ... not even thinking about the lack of basic services like salons that specialize in ironing nappy hair? I tell you, something must be done!

NYT: "New Hampshire, 94 Percent White, Asks: How Do You Diversify a Whole State?", by Steve Sailer - The Unz Review
Did you really need to put that nappy hair line in there? Ruined a good thread topic.

I’ve lived in Texas my whole life, most of it in Houston. I can’t even begin to imagine what 94% white is like. It doesn’t sound that great to me. But I don’t understand why lack of basic services would be a draw back to Black people. Sounds like an excellent business opportunity if more people move there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies