Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2018, 08:56 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
The political agenda that racism and segregation is wrong? That's an agenda I can get behind.
You have to remember this. It is only propaganda/political agenda to the person you replied to. Said person disagrees with integration. Said person obviously disagrees with the "agenda" that you can get behind. For me and you, it isn't an agenda. It is just simple matter of right and wrong. We can get behind that. The person you replied to obviously likes the days when Jim Crow reigned. For that reason, of course he is going to call Mississippi Burning movie "propaganda".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2018, 09:02 PM

10,491 posts, read 4,051,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adopsler View Post
Black people don't do cold weather. This is well known.

If you ask me, it's well past time to move up to Canada. What's the difference? It's the same cold up there but you don't get the hand basket speeding to hell that the USA is.
I don't buy that. Detroit and Chicago are some of the coldest places in the US, and the Black people there have no problem with the weather. The human race period, is the most adaptable species on the planet, regardless of the race or nationality.

Old 08-11-2018, 09:04 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,588,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Whatever immigration bill is passed has to include making English the official language of America. During working hours, English should be the only language spoken at any workplace. And any immigrant who wants to move and work here, has to become fluent in English before getting any sort of permanent status.

It's not about not being inclusive enough, it's about keeping all the diverse elements together by using English as the common bond. Right now, today I heard that the Vietnamese in Boston want to remain an area in the city "Little Saigon". It will be interesting to see if their wish is granted. IMO it's one thing for an ethnic enclave area to have a nickname like that, but in this day and age, I am against any ethnicity making an official claim to any area.
It’s mostly a marketing tool. They have Little Italy in New York, China Town in many cities. I bet there are a lot of good pho places there. It would be the first place I’d go to if I was in the mood for Vietnamese food.

Old 08-11-2018, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I don't buy that. Detroit and Chicago are some of the coldest places in the US, and the Black people there have no problem with the weather. The human race period, is the most adaptable species on the planet, regardless of the race or nationality.
This is true. Human beings can adapt to any climate. Consider this. There are more Blacks living in Alaska than in Vermont and New Hampshire combined.

Old 08-12-2018, 09:13 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,364,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Tell us specifically the measures these states took to keep out minorities. If you don't know, then you simply made it up.
While states might not have actively kept out people of color, plenty of local municipalities had measures, both informal and formal, to do so. There is a book by James Loewen called "Sundown Towns" which describes communities in various states that took up actions to exclude African Americans and other groups.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sundown_town

Old 08-12-2018, 11:22 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,772,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
While states might not have actively kept out people of color, plenty of local municipalities had measures, both informal and formal, to do so. There is a book by James Loewen called "Sundown Towns" which describes communities in various states that took up actions to exclude African Americans and other groups.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sundown_town
Have you ever lived in Northern New England (NNE)? We never had a slave economy and as such it was never home to many blacks. My guess is most people coming up from Mexico and points south couldn't find us on a map if you asked them to. We don't have any large cities and never had much industry. What we had was on a small scale. The terrain doesn't lend itself to large corporate farms. The economy was traditionally small family farms, forestry, and along the coast, fishing. Now tourism plays a major role. Farming was never easy given a short growing season, little in the way of flat land, and rocky soil. All those stone walls came about from clearing fields. My land was farmed starting in the 1770's and there are still stones surfacing that I add to the stone wall. When lands opened up in OH, and points west, thousands of farms were abandoned and the people moved west. The forests reclaimed the land. NNE was no longer a destiny for many whites either. After the Rev. War people in my community began heading for better lands in NY State. Even today all of NNE only has 3.3 million people. There was nothing here to attract blacks or anyone else.

NNE still carries the remnants of the old Puritan egalitarianism. If you've ever been to Town Meeting you'd know what I was talking about. Note I said "to Town Meeting", not "to a town meeting". Town Meeting is an event and the manner in which we govern ourselves. We lost the harshness of Puritan society and retained a culture of personal accountability and community responsibility. It is who you are as a person that most matters in our culture.
It is totally understandable that in an environment that is 95% white that minorities might not feel that they belong and will struggle to find cultural amenities that they might have had elsewhere. I get it. To suggest that NNE has worked to exclude minorities is totally wrong however.

Old 08-12-2018, 02:15 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,373,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is true. Human beings can adapt to any climate. Consider this. There are more Blacks living in Alaska than in Vermont and New Hampshire combined.
And millions of northern Europeans and Americans of northern European descent live in hot desert and tropical lands and p1ss and moan when the temp goes below 65F.

Old 08-12-2018, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
And millions of northern Europeans and Americans of northern European descent live in hot desert and tropical lands and p1ss and moan when the temp goes below 65F.
Yep!! I live in Georgia and I've met White people from Minnesota and Wisconsin who have moved here to get away from Upper Midwest winters. Millions of White people travel to places like Florida, Arizona, and Texas each winter to get away from the cold. The ability to withstand cold weather or hot weather has far less to do with race and more to do with adaptability and attitude. I'm Black and Georgia summers make me very miserable. I prefer walking around on a chilly January day than a muggy summer day in July. I was walking around today. It's in the low 80s and it's still miserable. I can take 90 F and very low humidity over what I'm experiencing.

Old 08-12-2018, 07:28 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,472,464 times
Heres the thing with this thread. I see some people who think racial minorities moving to upper New England=crimes and problems which is a very racist assumption. But then I also see people saying that upper New England has acted out on preventive measures to prevent minorities, especially black people, from moving up there. Dont buy that.

The fact of the matter is; Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine are beautiful and rugged states with a great quality of life... however they come with a caveat. Its isolated, mountainous and very rural. Places like that have a hard time attracting ANYONE. Not many people, white or black, are looking to live in such environments. The white people in those areas arent a bunch of recent transplants or descendants of mid to late 19th century settlers like in Colorado or California. They're people whose ancestors settled there over a century and a half ago.

These places dont need to attract anyone. Part of their appeal is the untouched natural landscapes. I would love to visit these states and explore their natural beauty. No one who wants to go to Vermont, wants to go for an urban cosmopolitan experience. They want the opposite. My aunt and her nuclear family made a road trip to Vermont from Miami in February. Why? Because they wanted to stay in a log cabin for a week, out in the mountains. A peaceful getaway. Those that want to LIVE in those states want that as a livelihood, not a vacation. Theres not many people wanting that life let alone non-white people.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:56 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,188,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Detroit and Chicago are major urban cities. The states of VT, NH and ME are extremely rural aka full of undeveloped land with forests on mountains. Being cold in a city is not at all like cold in the boonies. Buildings in cities are closer together, and there is public transportation of trains and buses. In the country, if one can't afford a car, then one might have to walk long distances in the cold to get from point A to point B. In a major city, the exposure to cold is less because of the numerous transportation options and all the buildings being so close together.

There is also more employment opportunities living in a major city than in a rural area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And where are all those blacks in Alaska living? Are they living in Anchorage or in little log cabins out in the Alaskan wilderness? And Alaska is a vastly bigger state than NH. There are probably more people living in Alaska than in NH... so it makes perfect sense that there would be more blacks living in Alaska than in NH. There are also more whites living in Alaska than in NH also.

Logic people!! Get some and use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies