Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2018, 10:57 AM

20,121 posts, read 9,032,117 times

Advertisements

move 50 miles away from any major metropolitan area and you'll find the majority of people are rednecks. Even the northeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 11:47 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
And where are all those blacks in Alaska living? Are they living in Anchorage or in little log cabins out in the Alaskan wilderness? And Alaska is a vastly bigger state than NH. There are probably more people living in Alaska than in NH... so it makes perfect sense that there would be more blacks living in Alaska than in NH. There are also more whites living in Alaska than in NH also.

Logic people!! Get some and use it.
Actually, miu,

There are more people in New Hampshire alone than in Alaska. New Hampshire has a population of 1,342,795 while Alaska has a population of 739,795.

And Anchorage is not the only place Blacks in Alaska live. They are living in Fairbanks, markedly colder than Anchorage. There are Blacks living in North Pole, Alaska.

Something else. Alaska might be big, but outside of the Anchorage area, the only other heavily population area is around Fairbanks North Star Borough area. Most of Alaska is sparsely populated, even the milder areas of the state such as Juneau and Sitka.

Old 08-13-2018, 12:45 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,188,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Actually, miu,

There are more people in New Hampshire alone than in Alaska. New Hampshire has a population of 1,342,795 while Alaska has a population of 739,795.

And Anchorage is not the only place Blacks in Alaska live. They are living in Fairbanks, markedly colder than Anchorage. There are Blacks living in North Pole, Alaska.

Something else. Alaska might be big, but outside of the Anchorage area, the only other heavily population area is around Fairbanks North Star Borough area. Most of Alaska is sparsely populated, even the milder areas of the state such as Juneau and Sitka.
It seems like you should consider moving to Alaska. Again, Fairbanks is a city and heavily populated, not a rural area in the wilderness.

A lot of the population of NH is in southern NH, which has basically become a suburban of Boston, MA. Mostly single family homes and owner-occupied. NH doesn't have much in rental housing, so it's another reason that NH is not attractive for blacks and Hispanics to live here. Of the blacks and Hispanics that live in the Boston area, the majority of them are renters, not owners of the places they live in.

Manchester is our biggest city and according to Yelp, there are only two dance clubs, and they don't have good reviews. It doesn't matter to me, but Manchester would not be any city that any of my younger Boston friends would want to live in, especially my black and minority 20-year old friends. They want to go out on the weekends, get dressed up and go out dancing.

Old 08-13-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
It seems like you should consider moving to Alaska. Again, Fairbanks is a city and heavily populated, not a rural area in the wilderness.

A lot of the population of NH is in southern NH, which has basically become a suburban of Boston, MA. Mostly single family homes and owner-occupied. NH doesn't have much in rental housing, so it's another reason that NH is not attractive for blacks and Hispanics to live here. Of the blacks and Hispanics that live in the Boston area, the majority of them are renters, not owners of the places they live in.

Manchester is our biggest city and according to Yelp, there are only two dance clubs, and they don't have good reviews. It doesn't matter to me, but Manchester would not be any city that any of my younger Boston friends would want to live in, especially my black and minority 20-year old friends. They want to go out on the weekends, get dressed up and go out dancing.
I have considered moving to Alaska. I've also considered moving to Minnesota, Colorado, Idaho, Washington state, Iowa, and parts of Canada (namely Montreal, Calgary, Edmonton, and Vancouver).

I know that most of New Hampshire's population is concentrated towards the southern portion of the Merrimack Valley. I know about New England. New England in general is an expensive region, so alot of people regardless of race are going to be renting. And if it is so expensive to rent and buy a home in Boston, shouldn't said persons move further into New Hampshire to buy homes? That would actually make sense.

Alot of young people regardless of race want to go out and have fun on the weekends. You ever think about the amount of people from Manchester who might drive to Boston to go to the dance clubs there? As for Manchester, it has seen an increase in its Black and Hispanic populations. Nashua too. Minorities are moving to New Hampshire, just not up past Concord.

Old 08-13-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
move 50 miles away from any major metropolitan area and you'll find the majority of people are rednecks. Even the northeast.
Where I live your don't even have to go that far in some places.

Old 08-13-2018, 04:09 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,771,580 times
Dance clubs is a great example of cultural differences. It more speaks to urban culture than it does rural culture. Our young people are more apt to spend their weekends pursuing outdoor recreation than getting dressed up to go clubbing. Skiing, snowmobiling, snowshoeing, camping, swimming, hiking, biking, hunting, fishing etc. That said, I imagine urban young people of any color may not see differences like that as appealing. I can't see how it is a black vs white thing though.

Old 08-13-2018, 04:13 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
This is true even in California.

Old 08-13-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
Dance clubs is a great example of cultural differences. It more speaks to urban culture than it does rural culture. Our young people are more apt to spend their weekends pursuing outdoor recreation than getting dressed up to go clubbing. Skiing, snowmobiling, snowshoeing, camping, swimming, hiking, biking, hunting, fishing etc. That said, I imagine urban young people of any color may not see differences like that as appealing. I can't see how it is a black vs white thing though.
It depends on where you live. Denver has plenty of nightclubs, as well as some of the suburbs. There are plenty of people living in Denver who will go camping, skiing, hiking,etc. People will go to the clubs too. Colorado has large metropolitan population that will also engage in the great outdoors.

I live in the Atlanta area (the far off outskirts though). I went to a nightclub and then biking on the same weekend.

Old 08-13-2018, 04:40 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,771,580 times
Quote:
It depends on where you live. Denver has plenty of nightclubs, as well as some of the suburbs. There are plenty of people living in Denver who will go camping, skiing, hiking,etc. People will go to the clubs too. Colorado has large metropolitan population that will also engage in the great outdoors.

I live in the Atlanta area (the far off outskirts though). I went to a nightclub and then biking on the same weekend.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. You aren't going to find dance clubs in rural Northern New England, and per the other post our cities don't have much in that regard either. The young urban folks who also like the outdoor stuff may transition OK if they don't mind not much in the way of the urban night life they enjoyed in the city.

Old 08-13-2018, 04:56 PM

10,031 posts, read 15,683,188 times
Quote:

I know that most of New Hampshire's population is concentrated towards the southern portion of the Merrimack Valley. I know about New England. New England in general is an expensive region, so alot of people regardless of race are going to be renting. And if it is so expensive to rent and buy a home in Boston, shouldn't said persons move further into New Hampshire to buy homes? That would actually make sense.

Alot of young people regardless of race want to go out and have fun on the weekends. You ever think about the amount of people from Manchester who might drive to Boston to go to the dance clubs there? As for Manchester, it has seen an increase in its Black and Hispanic populations. Nashua too. Minorities are moving to New Hampshire, just not up past Concord.
You're absolutely right about the cost of real estate in Massachusetts, many people have done that. If you are in commuting distance at all, it makes sense to buy in New Hampshire. Prices are lower, there is no state income tax and no sales tax

The schools are generally very good. It makes sense for a lot of families.

Refugees have been resettled in Manchester, that's the increase in the minority population you are probably seeing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies