Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2018, 09:04 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
And exactly HOW do y'all know that the other jurors weren't TDS infected Hillary/Bernie/CNN/MSNBC supporters?

Answer: YOU DON'T.

The verdict is the verdict is the verdict. Let the Manafort attorneys take it up on appeal if they so wish...
Actually we do know something. A Trump supporter juror gave an interview.

"....One of the jurors from Paul Manafort's trial said on Wednesday that although she "did not want Paul Manafort to be guilty," the evidence was "overwhelming."

"I thought that the public, America, needed to know how close this was, and that the evidence was overwhelming," Paula Duncan said in an interview on Fox News. "I did not want Paul Manafort to be guilty, but he was, and no one's above the law. So it was our obligation to look through all the evidence."...

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/23/polit...can/index.html

Manafort juror reveals lone holdout prevented Mueller team from winning conviction on all counts | Fox News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2018, 09:06 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,536,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Mueller runs a tight ship.
Exactly, and that is how it should be.

Old 08-23-2018, 09:14 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
First of all, I don't think Manafort has any dirt on Trump. Nothing. You guys talking about him flipping, but provide WHAT kind of information exactly to prosecutors?

Second, Trump will let the second trial and probably the Mueller investigation play out (assuming late 2018/early 2019) and then commute the sentence of Manafort.
Then why does trump obviously have his bowels in a uproar over the Manafort case? And why did trump improperly insert himself into an ongoing criminal trial? Was he sending a signal to Paulie "the Ostrich" to "always keep your mouth shut and never rat on your friends" and you'll get a pardon? No, Paulie knows a lot. The question is how long can he hold out before he breaks.

Old 08-23-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Paul Manafort still has a NIGHTMARE trial ahead of him in 27 days.

https://twitter.com/KenDilanianNBC/s...92406971428865

Old 08-23-2018, 09:21 AM
exm

3,723 posts, read 1,781,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Then why does trump obviously have his bowels in a uproar over the Manafort case? And why did trump improperly insert himself into an ongoing criminal trial? Was he sending a signal to Paulie "the Ostrich" to "always keep your mouth shut and never rat on your friends" and you'll get a pardon? No, Paulie knows a lot. The question is how long can he hold out before he breaks.

Trump is (or should be) concerned about Cohen, but not about Manafort. You don't think his uproar is about the Mueller probe itself? The original probe was Russian Collusion during the election. It morphed into 'obstruction of justice' to 'campaign violations'. Give the Mueller team 1 day to dig into your background, and you'll be indicted in a heartbeat. Yes, this IS a witch hunt by the deep state. Manafort never should have been charged and convicted.

Old 08-23-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
How do you know this juror was a "MAGA Trump supporter?" Don't they try to eliminate those biased one way or the other during the jury selection process? Would a juror admit to being a Trump supporter?

Why is getting 8 guilty verdicts "a win?" Aren't we supposed to earnestly seek the truth, and if one is not guilty, to return that verdict? Or, is a conviction the objective ...regardless of truth? Probably in the case of someone associated with the President, a conviction is the objective ...right?

But Hillary was never even charged with her crimes, even though James Comey said she was guilty of "extreme carelessness" (which is the same as "gross negligence," the term used in the statute).

We do have a "two tiered" justice system, it would seem.
“Every day when I drove, I had my Make America Great Again hat in the backseat,” said Duncan, who said she plans to vote for Trump again in 2020. “Just as a reminder.”
Manafort juror reveals lone holdout prevented Mueller team from winning conviction on all counts | Fox News

Old 08-23-2018, 09:27 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
Trump is (or should be) concerned about Cohen, but not about Manafort. You don't think his uproar is about the Mueller probe itself? The original probe was Russian Collusion during the election. It morphed into 'obstruction of justice' to 'campaign violations'. Give the Mueller team 1 day to dig into your background, and you'll be indicted in a heartbeat. Yes, this IS a witch hunt by the deep state. Manafort never should have been charged and convicted.
What a bunch of baloney.

I can guarantee you that team Mueller can dig into my background all they want and I would not be indicted.

Republicans dug into the Clinton's background for decades. Left no stone unturned. No allegations too delusional or too petty. Try though they might, all they could ever come up with is Bill lying about a consensual blow job.

Manafort was charged for crimes in which there was overwhelming evidence he committed. He was convicted on 8 of them.

He now faces some more serious charges and more overwhelming evidence. He better hope he gets another Trump minion on this jury as well.

Old 08-23-2018, 09:29 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Don't discount for jury members to take their responsibility seriously, no matter what their bias.

I served on a rape trial jury. My attitude towards rapists is "throw away the key". All the people involved were scummy, the accused rapist, the "victim", and the witnesses.

I was the last hold out during the deliberations. Because I am Canadian, I can't go into any details of the deliberations (it's illegal here), but I can say that, in the end, due to considering ALL the evidence, we found the accused not guilty.

It was obvious with all the guilty decisions, that the Trumpters set their biases aside, and did their proper duty. Some elements of the American justice system is still working.
And as an American who was going throught the OJ Simpson trial at a distance but read much of what was written about the evidence and the evidence gathering. And the witnesses......
Did I think Simpson killed Ron and Nicole--without a doubt..
Did I think the prosecution did an adequate job of PROVING that guilt under "reasonable" doubt---no
Did I think OJ got off?
Yes--but put that down to the LA police, crime forensic team, the prosecution who made some MAJOR errors in their trial presentation and preparation and to Simpson's legal team that not only knew how to get maximum effect from their own evidence but from the prosecution's mistakes...
Lance Ito was a horrible jurist--and the prosecution should have been hammering away at his lack of credibility prior to the start of trial but that was ineffective as well...

So the system worked even if the defendant who was guilty as Eichmann was given a "not guilty" verdict
Not guilty as I have heard and read over decades is not the same call as "innocent"...

Old 08-23-2018, 09:35 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
“Every day when I drove, I had my Make America Great Again hat in the backseat,” said Duncan, who said she plans to vote for Trump again in 2020. “Just as a reminder.”
Yes--I think she proves that the jury system in America is our best protection in some ways since in countries like Russia there is no comparison

And credit to that woman---I respect her diligence and honesty and the fact that she said in spite of all she saw with Manafort she is still going to vote Trump in 2020
To her way of thinking the motivation behind the trial was to pressure Manafort to turn on Trump
And she isn't the only person to think that
But she was able to set aside that perception and just vote the evidence--
And she did vote guilty for Manafort on EVERY COUNT-
She was not the original holdout who was only persuaded to concede evidence showed guilt in 8 counts...

I just wonder if the juror who came forward earlier in the trial and tried to say at least one juror had already decided on Manafort's guilt (not supposed to do that before all evidence is in) WAS the lone holdout--
And she was trying to skew the trial to "mistrial" before the case concluded...

Old 08-23-2018, 09:36 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
What a bunch of baloney.

I can guarantee you that team Mueller can dig into my background all they want and I would not be indicted.

Republicans dug into the Clinton's background for decades. Left no stone unturned. No allegations too delusional or too petty. Try though they might, all they could ever come up with is Bill lying about a consensual blow job.

Manafort was charged for crimes in which there was overwhelming evidence he committed. He was convicted on 8 of them.

He now faces some more serious charges and more overwhelming evidence. He better hope he gets another Trump minion on this jury as well.
Thanks for saving me the trouble of responding to that nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies