Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2018, 08:56 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,231,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motterpaul View Post
What does any of this have to do with finding collusion between Trump and the Russian government?

I watch Hannity - and you if you don't, you should at least once (that's all you need, he tells the same story every day). That should be enough to show you the many holes in this investigation that seems to tilting at windmills.

This is a COMPLETELY different case. Doesn't Hannity tell you that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 09:07 AM

57,317 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Well may be to you however unlike others I can take the risk. I'm hearing 70/30 for mistrial.
What would be the basis for a mistrial, this judge has been very strict and fair going so far as to ban certain phrases.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:08 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
I don't pretend to know how this trial will turn out, but the turning point of it is going to be the defense's cross examination of Gates. They are going to go after him as aggressively as any of us have probably ever seen in a trial like this.

Will that be enough? I do not know. But it should be kept in mind that the prosecution has to prove INTENT to defraud in order for Manafort to be convicted. Which is a pretty high bar, especially when these fraudulent actions were apparently all carried out by Rick Gates, and not Paul Manafort

I am getting the impression that the September case against Manafort is more likely to result in a conviction than this one is, but we will see soon enough.
My understanding of the testimony/evidence so far is that Manafort is the one who signed his tax returns showing no foreign accounts
And Manafort is the one who paid for his lux clothing and other items with wires from off-shore accounts
And Manafort was the one who told his tax accountant about the loan

Are you saying that Gates was the one doing all that???

PLUS--why do you (or anyone) think that Manafort DIDN"T disclose those foreign accounts on his tax returns after his accountants ASKED about any?
There is no way that Manafort can claim ignorance of the laws
The fact the accounts were carried in Bank of Cyprus--known for it's shielding of illegal accounts--is just one proof that there was intent to defraud the government

Old 08-07-2018, 09:09 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times
Quote:
What does any of this have to do with finding collusion between Trump and the Russian government?

I watch Hannity - and you if you don't, you should at least once (that's all you need, he tells the same story every day). That should be enough to show you the many holes in this investigation that seems to tilting at windmills.
Newish poster--
Same old story

Old 08-07-2018, 09:17 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,813,090 times
Quote:
Upthread someone posted about testimony linking Trump's abrupt change in platform towards Russia to a Russian operative who had been paying off Manafort.

I expected the trial to just be about tax evasion too, but not so much anymore.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:17 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,524,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
My understanding of the testimony/evidence so far is that Manafort is the one who signed his tax returns showing no foreign accounts
And Manafort is the one who paid for his lux clothing and other items with wires from off-shore accounts
And Manafort was the one who told his tax accountant about the loan

Are you saying that Gates was the one doing all that???
I am saying there is more to this than what you have apparently been misled to believe. I will not defer to any representation about the detailed facts of this case from you. It will be up to the judge and jury to decide. If Manafort is in fact guilty, I hope he is convicted. But just because the Democrat left lynch mob is calling for his head - that is not a good enough reason for anyone to be convicted

Old 08-07-2018, 09:27 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,914,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Incredible.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:30 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,539,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
She certainly did...

https://youtu.be/FRV5HdfMZMM
The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:31 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,100,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
I am saying there is more to this than what you have apparently been misled to believe. I will not defer to any representation about the detailed facts of this case from you. It will be up to the judge and jury to decide. If Manafort is in fact guilty, I hope he is convicted. But just because the Democrat left lynch mob is calling for his head - that is not a good enough reason for anyone to be convicted
Manafort will be convicted on the basis of a veritable mountain of evidence. The "Democrat left lynch mob" as you put it will have nothing to do with it.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:31 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Quote:

Surprise. Surprise.

For those who are trying to keep up with things by watching Hannity, good luck.

BTW, this trial is about bank fraud and tax fraud. Documents and testimony support a guilty verdict. We'll have to see.

Next up: Manafort's trial on money laundering and failing to register as a foreign agent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies