Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 09:41 PM

37,963 posts, read 17,946,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Exactly!!

The guy should’ve done what he was told. If you comply, you don’t have to worry about getting shot.
How do you know he didn't? Granted he's white so you don't really care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 09:42 PM

18,567 posts, read 7,425,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Yeah--that was jacked up. I mean--who wouldn't know Ving Rhames?
95% of Americans, I would guess, but that really isn't the point.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:47 PM

725 posts, read 808,957 times
The biggest error conservatives make is their unwavering support for the police. Conservatives say they don’t like big government and don’t trust government bureaucrats but guess who enforces big government laws of politicians: cops. Who hires the cops: the incompetent bureaucrats.

If a cop enforces a law which violates fundamental freedoms (whether speech, association, property, self defense, worship, right to privacy, right of safe passage, right to do with your own body as you wish) he is not being the good guy or a hero.

Very often cops are the people who least should have guns because they instigate situations instead of deescalate them and seek to “get” people instead of to provide security and serve peace keepers.

Conservatives need to wake up and realize we want security against rape, murder, theft, vandalism and battery. We don’t want cops who act aggressive, have no impulse control and who violate our freedoms by pulling people over by threat of force for not wearing a seat belt (voluntary and consensual decision), for having “drugs”, for not wanting to bake a cake or selling a plastic bag.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:38 PM

21,272 posts, read 19,892,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john620 View Post
The biggest error conservatives make is their unwavering support for the police. Conservatives say they don’t like big government and don’t trust government bureaucrats but guess who enforces big government laws of politicians: cops. Who hires the cops: the incompetent bureaucrats.

If a cop enforces a law which violates fundamental freedoms (whether speech, association, property, self defense, worship, right to privacy, right of safe passage, right to do with your own body as you wish) he is not being the good guy or a hero.

Very often cops are the people who least should have guns because they instigate situations instead of deescalate them and seek to “get” people instead of to provide security and serve peace keepers.

Conservatives need to wake up and realize we want security against rape, murder, theft, vandalism and battery. We don’t want cops who act aggressive, have no impulse control and who violate our freedoms by pulling people over by threat of force for not wearing a seat belt (voluntary and consensual decision), for having “drugs”, for not wanting to bake a cake or selling a plastic bag.
This conservative (me) wants the smallest government possible. I consider a police force a necessity. I also realize that cops are real people not automatons. They have to make split-second decisions in life-or-death situations and sometimes make mistakes in hindsight. If I don’t like the laws that cops are enforcing, I should try to change the law, not blame the cops.

And people should be forced to wear seatbelts for as long as taxpayers are required to contribute to the health care costs of those injured in car crashes.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:49 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,694,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
This conservative (me) wants the smallest government possible. I consider a police force a necessity. I also realize that cops are real people not automatons. They have to make split-second decisions in life-or-death situations and sometimes make mistakes in hindsight. If I don’t like the laws that cops are enforcing, I should try to change the law, not blame the cops.

And people should be forced to wear seatbelts for as long as taxpayers are required to contribute to the health care costs of those injured in car crashes.
Its the other motorists who have insurance that are paying for the people who do not have it and end up involved in a crash, Look on your full coverage insurance, uninsured motorist coverage is in there and there is a charge for it.

Hospitals also go after people for money they owe, I knew a couple people that were having their wages garnished due to hospital bills.

The cops are part of the problem when it comes to laws the public disagree with too, the old excuse of 'just doing their job' has never been an acceptable excuse.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:53 PM

21,272 posts, read 19,892,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Its the other motorists who have insurance that are paying for the people who do not have it and end up involved in a crash, Look on your full coverage insurance, uninsured motorist coverage is in there and there is a charge for it.

Hospitals also go after people for money they owe, I knew a couple people that were having their wages garnished due to hospital bills.

The cops are part of the problem when it comes to laws the public disagree with too, the old excuse of 'just doing their job' has never been an acceptable excuse.
What about two uninsured drivers that crash into each other and get injured?

So you think we should leave it up to cops to decise which laws they want to enforce. In that case, why not turn off the radio and hang out in the donut ahop all day?

Old 07-31-2018, 10:56 PM

13,476 posts, read 7,463,664 times
Not all police react to stress the same officers who stay calm are able to control their reactions better while some are so full of fear of getting shot they shoot at the least indication of a gun. I think it's a gray area police shootings will always have some percentage of mistake. One can't react fast enough to only shoot bad guys and never shoot a good guy. It's a tragic accident here, but my guess that is what it will end up being. The only thing we can do is learn from this and try to use this incident for learn from it so this never happens again.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:30 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,436,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
95% of Americans, I would guess, but that really isn't the point.
An SM officer on the scene recognized him as both their boys play basketball on a local team. That's when they gave the all clear.

Had that not recognized him from the b-ball team things could have gone in another direction...a very scary direction.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:36 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,159,467 times
Now imagine that the exact same story, but with a black home owner. The propaganda networks would have been shedding fake tears for a week, talking non-stop about how they know 100% for sure that it was an act of racism.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:47 PM

1,289 posts, read 942,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Exactly!!

The guy should’ve done what he was told. If you comply, you don’t have to worry about getting shot.
1) Can you tell us what the guy was told to do? I can't find it in the reports.

2) It is not true that if you comply you don't have to worry about getting shot; that is a myth:

Oscar Grant was killed while he was under police control. Amadou Diallo was killed while he was complying with police orders. Philando Castile was killed while he was complying with police orders. Tamir Rice, a 12 year old boy with a toy had no time to comply. He was killed within seconds of receiving police orders. Eric Garner was killed while he was in a banned police chokehold. Akai Gurley, not under arrest in any way, was killed when he unknowingly walked up a stairwell that was occupied by an armed police officer who was on an unrelated investigation. Yvette Smith was killed immediately after opening her door to police responding to a domestic disturbance call. Charles Kinsey was shot when he was on his back on the ground with his hands up. Alton Sterling was killed while he was on his back on the ground being held down by police. Eric Harris, similar situation. Victor White III somehow shot himself to death while handcuffed in the back seat of a police car. Chavis Carter, similar situation. Kenneth Chamberlain was killed when his Life Alert alarm went off accidentally and police responded and he explained and they shot him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies