Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 12:19 AM

725 posts, read 807,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
This conservative (me) wants the smallest government possible. I consider a police force a necessity. I also realize that cops are real people not automatons. They have to make split-second decisions in life-or-death situations and sometimes make mistakes in hindsight. If I don’t like the laws that cops are enforcing, I should try to change the law, not blame the cops.

And people should be forced to wear seatbelts for as long as taxpayers are required to contribute to the health care costs of those injured in car crashes.

Laws have no meaning if cops decide not to enforce them. You say change the law but in a democracy it is tyranny of the majority. Everything the romans did to Jesus Christ was legal. We will never escape slavery if we are content with the system that keeps us slaves.

We don’t need a police force who enforce other people’s laws. We need security in a society that will deter crime just by their presence and respond to situations in a calm and deescalating manner. Cops should be treated no different than a regular member of the public. If a cop enters someone’s home and kills an innocent home owner it is murder. If a cop pulls someone over by threat of force on the side of the road because he is unhappy with you not wearing a seat belt, that is kidnapping and terrorism. If a regular member of the public stops a theft, rape or murder that is justified and so would a cop be. But both better be sure a crime was going on. Too often cops assume citizens are criminals when in fact it is the other way around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 01:50 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,313,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
This conservative (me) wants the smallest government possible. I consider a police force a necessity. I also realize that cops are real people not automatons. They have to make split-second decisions in life-or-death situations and sometimes make mistakes in hindsight. If I don’t like the laws that cops are enforcing, I should try to change the law, not blame the cops.

And people should be forced to wear seatbelts for as long as taxpayers are required to contribute to the health care costs of those injured in car crashes.
Obviously you don't.

Old 08-01-2018, 01:52 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,313,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post
1) Can you tell us what the guy was told to do? I can't find it in the reports.

2) It is not true that if you comply you don't have to worry about getting shot; that is a myth:

Oscar Grant was killed while he was under police control. Amadou Diallo was killed while he was complying with police orders. Philando Castile was killed while he was complying with police orders. Tamir Rice, a 12 year old boy with a toy had no time to comply. He was killed within seconds of receiving police orders. Eric Garner was killed while he was in a banned police chokehold. Akai Gurley, not under arrest in any way, was killed when he unknowingly walked up a stairwell that was occupied by an armed police officer who was on an unrelated investigation. Yvette Smith was killed immediately after opening her door to police responding to a domestic disturbance call. Charles Kinsey was shot when he was on his back on the ground with his hands up. Alton Sterling was killed while he was on his back on the ground being held down by police. Eric Harris, similar situation. Victor White III somehow shot himself to death while handcuffed in the back seat of a police car. Chavis Carter, similar situation. Kenneth Chamberlain was killed when his Life Alert alarm went off accidentally and police responded and he explained and they shot him.
What you replied to was sarcasm because that is the argument made here all the time by a lot of people.

Old 08-01-2018, 02:18 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,310,940 times
Quote:
Black's wife had called the police and ran outside.
Dispatch: "A disturbance has been reported at the Black home."

What could possibly go wrong?

Old 08-01-2018, 04:03 AM

1,289 posts, read 940,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
What you replied to was sarcasm because that is the argument made here all the time by a lot of people.
Relief. I thought something had happened to desertdetroiter.

Old 08-01-2018, 06:13 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,464,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Late at night, it's even better if you bury them in your neighbor's backyard.
hahahaha

Old 08-01-2018, 09:21 AM

24,449 posts, read 23,129,712 times
I've said this many times before. If a police officer acts stupidly or criminally and is the cause of a financial settlement to a plaintiff in a lawsuit, here's what should happen.
The money awarded should come directly from the police pension fund. Not from insurance, not from the police budget, not from the community through taxes. Take it from the police pension fund. When current retired officers see their benefits and pensions reduced and current officers see that their future benefits will be reduced to cover this bad officer's conduct, they will police their own ranks and weed out problem or unfit officers. No covering for them.

Old 08-02-2018, 01:23 AM

15,552 posts, read 10,541,353 times
uh oh. Officer who shot Aurora homeowner involved in deadly shooting in - KOAA.com | Continuous News | Colorado Springs and Pueblo

Old 08-02-2018, 01:33 AM

5,127 posts, read 2,604,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post

Is that the advice given in the black community?
oh look we have a race baiter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Late at night, it's even better if you bury them in your neighbor's backyard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Now imagine that the exact same story, but with a black home owner. The propaganda networks would have been shedding fake tears for a week, talking non-stop about how they know 100% for sure that it was an act of racism.
Sadly, this is accurate.

Old 08-02-2018, 02:32 AM

37,971 posts, read 17,919,261 times
How else is that fine officer going to grow and learn if he isn't allowed to make mistakes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies