Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 08:26 PM

6 posts, read 5,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Likely not. Which is equally sad and depressing.
Remember the guy in school who always did the wrong thing? Got away with it for a long time.. But There comes a day when the piper gets paid. We better get ready and serious because severe violence is a real possibility as the outcome.

Look at the Koch fools. They bought in for years and now they don't like what they see with their purchase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 08:29 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
She is on Workman's Comp @ $246/week and not working full time. She says Amazon takes her back for short periods then puts her back on leave again.
I understand that. Again, if she worked for 5 months before the accident, with my harsh taxes and beyond reasonable food amount each month, she should have had at least $1500 saved. AT least. Where she lives, the food doesn't cost that much, and for a single person, she could have easily survived on $200/month in food. In that case, she would have had an extra $1500 saved up for a total of $3000. Consider that I was also harsher on tax than she would have been charged, she'd have a bit more.

And then we have Workman's Comp. That pays 50% from my understanding. She's still getting about a grand per month while on Workman's Comp. Then they had her return to work a few times, so she was back to getting full time pay.

She said this started November 11, 2017. Okay, from December to July is 8 months. Just on savings alone she could have paid her rent for 6 months. Even if she was on Workman's Comp for that entire 6 months, she would still be able to afford her rent and her other bills and still have $400 left each month, not even touching her savings.

So, again I ask, how did she not have any money to pay the rent?

Old 07-31-2018, 09:50 PM

6 posts, read 5,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

Is this really Amazon's fault?
Nope, it's the US Gov fault. Amazon would love to pay her 2 an hour. But 13 is close to the min wage and since she took the job, they don't care.

We've seen this many times before. Nothing new here. When that social upheaval comes, they'll sort it out. Selfishly I hope to be outside America with a cold drink by the time it happens as sometimes these things have been violent.

It's also not Amazons fault Jeff has created so much wealth for so few. It's the Gov yet again.

The current American Gov screwed over the relationship and the nature of the transaction between Jeff and this woman and Jeff and his capital returns. It'll have to adjust accordingly eventually. The longer it goes the harder it could be to do, I suppose.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:59 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,145,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Beacause that's the REAL issue here, not people working for the world's richest dude, who need to wear diapers to work, since bathroom breaks cut into productivity and could lead to disciplinary action. Have you EVER worked in an Amazon fulfilment center???
Honestly if I worked at a place like that, I'd need to smoke too...

Old 07-31-2018, 11:02 PM

15,534 posts, read 10,510,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Yep. I've boycotted it as much as possible, which means no more Whole Foods either.
Amazon has ruined Whole Foods, I hate them.

Old 08-01-2018, 02:38 AM

27,194 posts, read 13,482,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6doorsdown View Post
Nope, it's the US Gov fault. Amazon would love to pay her 2 an hour. But 13 is close to the min wage and since she took the job, they don't care.

We've seen this many times before. Nothing new here. When that social upheaval comes, they'll sort it out. Selfishly I hope to be outside America with a cold drink by the time it happens as sometimes these things have been violent.

It's also not Amazons fault Jeff has created so much wealth for so few. It's the Gov yet again.

The current American Gov screwed over the relationship and the nature of the transaction between Jeff and this woman and Jeff and his capital returns. It'll have to adjust accordingly eventually. The longer it goes the harder it could be to do, I suppose.

It's time to clamp down on the whole gig economy and zero hour countracts, as well as alleged tax evasion by major corportations.

The days of Amazon paying £15 million tax on nearly £20 Billion revenues in Europe have to stop.

Bill to ban zero-hours contract a step closer | - BP Collins

Memo to bosses: expect zero loyalty from your zero-hours workers - Guardian

Amazon paid just £15m in tax on European revenues of £19.5bn - Guardian

Tech giants face new UK tax clampdown - BBC News

Even Uber is on probation in London, having hiden behind it's lawyers for years, it realised the authorities actually meant business, and has had to massively reform. No more illegal greyball software or not working with TfL or reorting offences to the police and workers now have full rights in the so called UK gig economy.

Uber wins 15-month probationary licence to work in London - Guardian

London's black-cab drivers consider suing Uber for £1bn | Guardian

Gig economy: Workers' rights to be strictly enforced - BBC News

The EU is also planning to take action in relation to both tax and workers rights.

EU to find ways to make Google, Facebook and Amazon pay more tax - Guardian

Amazon and Apple caught in latest EU tax crackdown - BBC News

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-01-2018 at 02:56 AM..

Old 08-01-2018, 03:10 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,281,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I'm sure these types of workers work in some unsafe conditions.

Nice to see her own GoFundMe account halfway to its goal.

https://www.businessinsider.com/amaz...-injury-2018-7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbQDHlR2RRQ
That does about sum it up - Bezos is an idiot

Old 08-01-2018, 03:27 AM

27,194 posts, read 13,482,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
That does about sum it up - Bezos is an idiot
Amazon has quickly become the unacceptable face of capitalism, and many people are becoming tired of it.

There is no excuse for the way it treats it's workers and stories such as those below are just upsetting.

It's clearly time for better workers rights and conditions, coupled with a clamp down on corportate tax evasion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian

The article illustrated the alleged poor welfare with anecdotes from employees. One female employee with breast cancer was allegedly put on a “performance improvement plan” while another was sent on a business trip the day after suffering a miscarriage. A thyroid cancer sufferer was also allegedly marked with low performance on returning to work and told that Amazon was more productive without her.

Jeff Bezos defends Amazon after NYT exposé of working practices - Guardian

Old 08-01-2018, 03:31 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,281,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Amazon has quickly become the unacceptable face of capitalism, and many people are becoming tired of it.

There is no excuse for the way it treats it's workers and stories such as those below are just upsetting.

It's clearly time for better workers rights and conditions, coupled with a clamp down on corportate tax evasion.
Here's the thing -- the only way to combat capitalism run wild (and this is coming from a believer in capitalism) - is to vote with your wallet -- Don't use Amazon for anything. I don't. Trump was right on the money when he said that Amazon is getting a free ride from taxpayers.

Old 08-01-2018, 03:31 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,495,737 times
Looks like Amazon is becoming the new Walmart when it comes to the well-being of its employees!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies