Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 06:49 PM

29,522 posts, read 22,674,035 times

Advertisements

I'm sure these types of workers work in some unsafe conditions.

Nice to see her own GoFundMe account halfway to its goal.

https://www.businessinsider.com/amaz...-injury-2018-7

Quote:
Vickie Shannon Allen, a 49-year-old former Amazon warehouse employee in Texas, says she is now homeless after being injured at work last year.

Allen has been documenting her eviction from a Texas caravan park on YouTube , and her story was reported by The Guardian . She has also set up a GoFundMe page to try to raise money after losing her home.

Allen still works at the Amazon fulfillment center in Haslet, Texas, where she was injured and is living in her car in the parking lot of the warehouse. In an update to her GoFundMe page, Allen said she had found somewhere to live more permanently but needed money to pay the first month's rent and deposit.

She posted an update to YouTube on Tuesday in which she called out Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos. "I can't believe this is my life now ... I work for the world's richest man and I live in my car," she said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbQDHlR2RRQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 06:53 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,589,004 times
I can't believe so many people support Amazon. It's worse than WalMart.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:43 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,145,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
I can't believe so many people support Amazon. It's worse than WalMart.
Yep. I've boycotted it as much as possible, which means no more Whole Foods either.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:54 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,770,190 times
If she gave up smoking maybe she could afford the lot rent for her trailer.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:55 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,471,721 times
How are Amazon and Walmart worse than other fulfillment centers or retailers that you are not boycotting. Do your alternatives pay more?
All fulfillment centers and retailers pay low wages with warehouse clubs (Costco, Sams..) paying a bit more.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:57 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,915,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
How are Amazon and Walmart worse than other fulfillment centers or retailers that you are not boycotting. Do your alternatives pay more?
Likely not. Which is equally sad and depressing.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:58 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Ok, I watched her first video, and I don't understand how she didn't have any money left over.

She said she made $13.25/hr at 40 hrs/week. That's $2120. Even if I were to tax higher than she should be, at 20%, she should have $1700 left. She showed her bills:

475 rent (when she lived in a lot in an RV)
45 for propane
28 car insurance
40 cell phone bill

That comes out to $588 total. EVEN IF I was being extremely generous on the food at $500/month, (which is a ridiculous amount of food where she lives), she should still have over $600 left after paying rent, propane, insurance, phone bill, and food.

So, what, exactly, did she spend her money on that she had nothing saved up? I understand Workman's Comp pays only half or something like that, but how did she plow through over $600/month AFTER her bills were paid? And I was being harsh on the tax and giving her a ton of money for food each month. How did she not have a thing saved up when she herself said that she had no other bills besides the ones listed?

If she worked for 5 months, and she spent even half of that $600 left over on gas for her car, she should have had $1500 saved up. Which would have meant that she wouldn't have been late on her rent thus causing her to lose her place to live and end up living in her car in their parking lot.

What is she not telling everyone?

I understand that things like this can wipe people out, but if that's all she was paying each month in bills with me being very generous on her food bill, then she's been spending money on other things and not saving.

Is this really Amazon's fault?

Old 07-31-2018, 08:12 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,471,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Ok, I watched her first video, and I don't understand how she didn't have any money left over.

She said she made $13.25/hr at 40 hrs/week. That's $2120.
She is on Workman's Comp @ $246/week and not working full time. She says Amazon takes her back for short periods then puts her back on leave again.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:20 PM

6 posts, read 5,527 times
This story encapsulates why there is no future in America. We're headed for massive social upheaval and soon. All those immigrants and scientists skipping the US are making the right calls. This thing has ended and will be starting a new soon. How messy that will be is anyones guess.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:25 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,037,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
If she gave up smoking maybe she could afford the lot rent for her trailer.
Beacause that's the REAL issue here, not people working for the world's richest dude, who need to wear diapers to work, since bathroom breaks cut into productivity and could lead to disciplinary action. Have you EVER worked in an Amazon fulfilment center???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies