Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2019, 12:36 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corascant View Post
That's easier said than done when "updating oneself" requires tens of thousands of dollars in student loans. It's one thing to gain extra training and brush up on skills, quite another when a whole class of jobs in a country is effectively off limits to its own citizens because they can't underbid far enough on salaries without going broke. Why, out of curiosity, is India's job market so poor that it keeps needing to send millions of its people abroad to take critical jobs in other countries? Isn't a government's main responsibility to provide jobs and support for its own citizens?
If the job market is so poor, IBM or HP or Oracle or Accenture wouldnt have more employees there than they have in the US.

Indians travelling all over the world isnt a new thing. YOu can find them from Trinidad to PNG working for others.

Old 06-29-2019, 02:11 PM

932 posts, read 543,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corascant View Post
That's easier said than done when "updating oneself" requires tens of thousands of dollars in student loans. It's one thing to gain extra training and brush up on skills, quite another when a whole class of jobs in a country is effectively off limits to its own citizens because they can't underbid far enough on salaries without going broke. Why, out of curiosity, is India's job market so poor that it keeps needing to send millions of its people abroad to take critical jobs in other countries? Isn't a government's main responsibility to provide jobs and support for its own citizens?
I have updated my skills for free.
Anyone can do that. Not sure what the problem is?

The status of Indian job market is immaterial.
We shouldn't think with Nationalistic bias. We are citizens of the world.
Nations are man made.

Nationalism is valid only for underdeveloped countries.
Once you have developed, you should think beyond the limits of Nationalism.

Old 06-29-2019, 08:54 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
If the job market is so poor, IBM or HP or Oracle or Accenture wouldnt have more employees there than they have in the US.

Indians travelling all over the world isnt a new thing. YOu can find them from Trinidad to PNG working for others.
So...why aren't Indians staying at home and working to improve their own country instead of cutting and running? What if things get really bad in the US? Where will they run to next? How about back home

Old 06-30-2019, 10:16 PM

Here is an interesting article about H1-B abuse --- another article that exposes the lie that there aren't enough Americans in IT:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump...b0522c7d3d84af

Old 06-30-2019, 10:59 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
So...why aren't Indians staying at home and working to improve their own country instead of cutting and running? What if things get really bad in the US? Where will they run to next? How about back home
You should ask the lawmakers and corporations that question as to why they thought there was and is a shortage of talent and why they wont hire locally

I see your point .
Indian visa holders are the most patriotic people to such an extent they dont want to live in the country they love so much . People are even trying to get into Mexico these days.

Just the human urge for betterment and the demand for the $$.

Old 07-01-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
You should ask the lawmakers and corporations that question as to why they thought there was and is a shortage of talent and why they wont hire locally

I see your point .
Indian visa holders are the most patriotic people to such an extent they dont want to live in the country they love so much . People are even trying to get into Mexico these days.

Just the human urge for betterment and the demand for the $$.
You keep telling me to talk to my "lawmakers" and I keep telling you that I have done so.

Maybe if Indians worked on improving their own country, they would earn more money.

There's no denying that there are Americans who are expats. However, one thing one learns growing up in America is that one doesn't run away. Instead, we push for change --- even if it is on a micro level, meaning we start with our own communities. That's something newcomers need to learn.

Old 07-01-2019, 01:09 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,689,623 times
India ends up benefiting from their citizens living and working in USA. Around 70 Billion Dollars are sent from their citizens abroad back to India. I think that it is about 4 % of their GDP.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remittances_to_India

It is not about running away from the country. It is actually enriching the country.

Old 07-01-2019, 02:09 PM

932 posts, read 543,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
India ends up benefiting from their citizens living and working in USA. Around 70 Billion Dollars are sent from their citizens abroad back to India. I think that it is about 4 % of their GDP.

It is not about running away from the country. It is actually enriching the country.

Majority of them have already become American citizens.

So, when they buy real estate in India, its American citizens who are making investments abroad.

Old 07-01-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:

Per the bolded --- My husband says that's income from parasites. To which I will add---it's no better than what illegal aliens do.

This is all money that isn't put back into the US economy---and that's not a good thing.

How would India like it if foreigners showed up in droves to take jobs and send a good portion of their income out of the country? How would it make them feel to know that that is money that doesn't get put back into the Indian economy?

Old 07-02-2019, 12:57 PM

1,094 posts, read 499,394 times
Quote:

I'm not even sure that's true though, there are a lot of research studies that show despite the remittances, India is harming its economy by sending out so many of its educated people instead of keeping them at home to build India's economy and create jobs there at home. I don't know the literature all that well but they talked about it in a conference among several of the Texas tech companies, including the one I was working for at the time. Apparently the remittances are a net positive only early on, when a country is in a very underdeveloped state, and/or when a country is close by and people in the richer country can make easy and low-cost work and travel links with their home country. This means that for Africa, Mexico and Latin America, yes it does make economic sense for them to send their young people abroad to make more money to send home. Especially for African countries, who are such a fast-growing part of the US immigrant population.

But not so much for Asia. It may have been at least slightly to the advantage of the Philippines to send its young workers abroad a decade ago, but now probably not so much. Even though the Philippines is still somewhat underdeveloped, it 's not that far behind the West, and it has the infrastructure to support a modern tech economy. So even the Philippines is hurting itself by sending so many of its young workers abroad, despite the remittances. India even more so. Yes, development has been uneven, but clearly India has the capacity to build a tech based jobs infrastructure, which it's failing to do by taking the lazy way out and depending on remittances from abroad. It's really the worst of both worlds now, in sending its workers overseas and undercutting :US wages, India is inciting anger and pushback from the US, hurting the US tech industry and shortchanging India's own workers, while also failing to build up its own industries and create jobs, which in turn makes the problem worse. What India needs is not access to the US and Canadian jobs market, but a more concerted effort to build solid companies and industries back home to employ their own people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies