Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 12:04 PM

36,606 posts, read 30,939,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
I wouldn't mind it so much if these Christian conservative would just go about their lives without them getting in everyone's face all the time. They want everyone to accept their way of life even though some find much of it repulsive.
I'm not sure posting on their own FB page or even commenting on an internet article is getting in everyone's face all the time.
I live in TN, rural, right on the belt buckle and although the majority of people are conservative and religious I have never had them in my face. The majority of people keep their religious beliefs to themselves other than to invite someone to church or volunteer in the community. Whether I believe in there beliefs or way of life doesn't matter, they, like everyone else has the freedom to post their opinions on social media.
Funny thing about social media, it has an off switch. And I think of that little bit of advice; if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out. Of course I dont take it literally.

Old 08-09-2018, 12:08 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,952,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
The Bible = Tanakh.

Where is Romans in Tanakh? The only Romans I'm familiar with is from the New Testament, which does not represent G-d's word. Please clarify.
If you don't hear Moses' teachings, then how could you possibility understand anything about God.

Old 08-09-2018, 12:32 PM

15,877 posts, read 21,475,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I'm not sure posting on their own FB page or even commenting on an internet article is getting in everyone's face all the time.
I live in TN, rural, right on the belt buckle and although the majority of people are conservative and religious I have never had them in my face. The majority of people keep their religious beliefs to themselves other than to invite someone to church or volunteer in the community. Whether I believe in there beliefs or way of life doesn't matter, they, like everyone else has the freedom to post their opinions on social media.
Funny thing about social media, it has an off switch. And I think of that little bit of advice; if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out. Of course I dont take it literally.
Funny enough, that was not my experience living in a similar area, but just south of the border in Georgia as a liberal person from a Jewish family. Social media simply mirrors how many of these people acted in person. Maybe you just don't see it if you're not from a group that gets their ire?

I remember the phone calls my parents got when I *dared* start a Gay-Straight Alliance in my high school after being horrified because I had a handful of friends kicked out of their religious homes because of their sexuality. That wasn't limited to social media, though there was only MySpace then.

My version of "turning off" social media involved moving across the country. I still keep these people on my social media because otherwise I might forget what some of these people are really like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
If you don't hear Moses' teachings, then how could you possibility understand anything about God.
Aseret HaDibrot were the first of 613 commandments given by G-d. The second of which said, and I paraphrase, "You shall have no other gods beside Me."

Promoting a text from a series of texts that promote a false messiah that some traditions refer to as a form of G-d seems to fly in the face of the commandment.

I just ask that if you expect others to follow your faith's rules that you at least get the faith right.

Old 08-09-2018, 12:44 PM

1,073 posts, read 624,279 times
Quote:
Acceptance of homosexuality is one of the last stages of a depraved society that's ready for God's wrath.
Where are you getting this from biblically? I would like to read and understand the passage.
Thanks

Old 08-09-2018, 01:15 PM

35,121 posts, read 31,396,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
The people getting incredibly hateful on social media, at least the ones I know personally, are generally not like that in real life.

Old 08-09-2018, 01:44 PM

25,461 posts, read 9,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
It is the place to bash God, however.

One is ok, the other is not.
Who bashed God on here?

Old 08-09-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
God Word.

Romans 1

24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.
26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

Adultery will be judged too.
Jesus was pretty tough on religious people too.

Old 08-09-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
So is mixing different materials and eating shellfish.
Shoot, can't rep you again.

Old 08-09-2018, 01:56 PM

78,567 posts, read 60,762,573 times
OP, all you can control is yourself.

People are entitled to their views even if we disagree with them and even if we find them bigoted.

For people like your friends you can't change their minds with direct confrontation. Don't get preachy, don't cite the bible, just see if a little exposure might get them to see the people they're hating as opposed to the abstract concept.

You know, if I had a friend that anti-gay, I'd invite them to go to the pride event and just check it out.
If they balk then I'd mention that they're missing an opportunity to actually learn more instead of hating a faceless enemy.

Old 08-09-2018, 02:16 PM

36,606 posts, read 30,939,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Funny enough, that was not my experience living in a similar area, but just south of the border in Georgia as a liberal person from a Jewish family. Social media simply mirrors how many of these people acted in person. Maybe you just don't see it if you're not from a group that gets their ire?

I remember the phone calls my parents got when I *dared* start a Gay-Straight Alliance in my high school after being horrified because I had a handful of friends kicked out of their religious homes because of their sexuality. That wasn't limited to social media, though there was only MySpace then.

My version of "turning off" social media involved moving across the country. I still keep these people on my social media because otherwise I might forget what some of these people are really like.

Perhaps you are right in that I have not personally experienced intolerance and hatred aimed at me so I do not see it as someone who has. I have a friend who confided in me years later how miserable his youth was being gay and in denial in this area. He too had to move to find happiness. Not that he was harassed but that he could not be or even accept who he was. Things have changed a lot since then, not enough, but a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.