Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 01:42 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times

Advertisements

I live in a conservative, religious area of Tennessee. Two major local employers, Eastman Chemical Company and a Citigroup campus, have sponsored a local Pride rally this year.

While I knew some elements of the religious community would grumble, I'm truly shocked at the level of the social media outrage. There are hundreds of comments on virtually all of the local media articles. Most articles will get less than a dozen. This is the most social media outrage I've ever seen over a local issue. The event's website has nothing objectionable and is pretty plain. A large number of my personal friends are posting extremely mean things that you'd never hear them see unless it was about a "damn *****."

The comments range from cruel - "God's going to spill his wrath on the gays" to the threatening "this event's gonna turn ugly!" to the plainly bizarre "God's no longer going to bless Eastman or East Tennessee"

I'd say the comments are 2-3/1 against the event.

I'm conservative and voted for Trump, but I'm fairly open-minded. I'm tolerant. I'm not religious. I had no interest in this event before. Whatever happened to if you're not interested, simply don't participate? I'm shocked at the level of religious bigots and cultural Neanderthals.

Old 08-08-2018, 02:12 PM

18,491 posts, read 9,155,884 times
Just another day in rural Tennessee.

Old 08-08-2018, 02:17 PM

463 posts, read 189,163 times
God's going to 'spill his wrath' on all the unsaved, not just unsaved gays - hear the good news of Jesus Christ and repent, as there are no excuses

Old 08-08-2018, 02:24 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,732,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I live in a conservative, religious area of Tennessee. Two major local employers, Eastman Chemical Company and a Citigroup campus, have sponsored a local Pride rally this year.

While I knew some elements of the religious community would grumble, I'm truly shocked at the level of the social media outrage. There are hundreds of comments on virtually all of the local media articles. Most articles will get less than a dozen. This is the most social media outrage I've ever seen over a local issue. The event's website has nothing objectionable and is pretty plain. A large number of my personal friends are posting extremely mean things that you'd never hear them see unless it was about a "damn *****."

The comments range from cruel - "God's going to spill his wrath on the gays" to the threatening "this event's gonna turn ugly!" to the plainly bizarre "God's no longer going to bless Eastman or East Tennessee"

I'd say the comments are 2-3/1 against the event.

I'm conservative and voted for Trump, but I'm fairly open-minded. I'm tolerant. I'm not religious. I had no interest in this event before. Whatever happened to if you're not interested, simply don't participate? I'm shocked at the level of religious bigots and cultural Neanderthals.
What happened to the good old days when companies did things that really had a positive effect on all employees like a company picnic or bonus checks? A pride rally only serves as a PR stunt for them. Anyone would be foolish to think that these corporate execs passionately care about gay pride and rights.
For Christians who believe in the Bible where it is clearly taught that homosexuality is a sin, this stunt is no different than these companies sponsoring a swingers convention.

Old 08-08-2018, 03:00 PM

25,441 posts, read 9,800,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCHouseHunter View Post
God's going to 'spill his wrath' on all the unsaved, not just unsaved gays - hear the good news of Jesus Christ and repent, as there are no excuses
Seriously? This is not the place to preach. Gawd.

Old 08-08-2018, 04:13 PM

45,573 posts, read 27,172,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Seriously? This is not the place to preach. Gawd.
It is the place to bash God, however.

One is ok, the other is not.

Old 08-08-2018, 04:18 PM

639 posts, read 248,739 times
Kingsport,Tn I am assuming? That's where Eastman is I think....not the kind of place you find a lot of LGBT....whatever their company,they can lose money from customers if they want.

Old 08-08-2018, 04:28 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,843,068 times
If one man were to stand on their street corner and preach the gospel from the Bible the left would want him shut down and wouldn't give up until they caused that to happen.

How is a gay parade ok but someone wearing Trump hat or NRA tee etc is accused of trying to be a bad a*s, or is an instigator or is looking for trouble?

Old 08-08-2018, 04:29 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,843,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
It is the place to bash God, however.

One is ok, the other is not.

Can't rep you but

Old 08-08-2018, 04:34 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,327,541 times
BFD...how long has the gay community been ginning up hatred against Christians?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies