Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 01:30 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Others will probably come forward now, for sure, and the payouts will be significant. But then it will die down, or people will excuse it away as a few bad priests, etc.

I think the closing of parishes has more to do with fewer parents sending their kids to Catholic schools due to the cost, and younger generations who just don't go to church.

It's a trend that's been going on for a decade or more.
Its the opposite around here, all the catholic schools are enrolled to the maximum number of kids they can have. Some even have waiting lists. Although many parents that are sending their kids here, they do not attend church, they are just sending their kids there for the much better education.

Even today, a catholic/ christian education is considered MUCH better than public schools, I dont see that changing anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2018, 01:33 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Its the opposite around here, all the catholic schools are enrolled to the maximum number of kids they can have. Some even have waiting lists. Although many parents that are sending their kids here, they do not attend church, they are just sending their kids there for the much better education.

Even today, a catholic/ christian education is considered MUCH better than public schools, I dont see that changing anytime soon.
Unusual area you live in.

Most of our RCC grade schools stunk-unqualified nuns would "teach", and mediocre lay teachers.

The public school near me had more kids pass rigorous private high school tests than the RCC did.

Of 31 in my class (RCC), I was only boy to pass one, and one girl passed one. By my graduation (high school), 3 boys had passed from that school in 4 years. Public school near me had 3 kids pass year I passed (at my one high school), and they had 10 members of our graduating class of 227.

Old 08-19-2018, 01:43 PM

19,722 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I know the feeling all too well. All my childhood life, my family was constantly at war with professional demons. I was physically abused, non sexually, as a kindergartner by my teacher. School did nothing, so my parents moved out of the district to place me in another school. The new school, I was summoned twice in my first year for two separate incidents. One was about the principle, and guidance councilors asking me questions if I have ever been alone with him, and I was. I remember being in line to go back to class from lunch when he was walking down the isle, and he stopped me and told the teacher I looked ill. He had me come back to the nurse and she had me take some medicine, and then the next thing I remember, I'm being waken by the nurse because it was time for me to go home. I would be questioned about the incident about a year later, but to this day, I have no idea if he did anything to me or not. The other incident involved a music teacher, and I was asked if I was ever given lessons alone by him. I honestly was never bothered by him, but later on I heard he had something going on with a third grade girl. But, this was just the beginning. This place went through 3 coaches because of something going on with the coaches and female students, and then there was a big incident with the local DARE cop where he was arrested for selling drugs to minors, and eventually getting a 13 year old girl pregnant.

I finally get into junior high at 6th grade, and the teacher that controlled both the math and english classes would offer some type of tutoring at her home. Kids that would sign up were passing her class with flying colors, but the kids were different. They were like zombies. The kids that didn't participate in her after school projects were often failed, or given such low grades that it would mess up our chances at getting into a good college. She gave me an F grading on an English paper when I knew it was an A rated project. My parents even went to a friend who was a teacher at a nearby college to come in as a witness to protest the grade, and the board wouldn't budge. After that, my dad took me out of school and had me home schooled. Fast forward 20 years, and I run into former students of this woman, and they tell me she was having horrible things done to the kids by her husband, who was also a minister at a local church. But, the woman was such an outstanding Black woman that fought cancer twice, nobody would investigate this woman. And she is always being praised by politicians, police, school boards, media and the whole nine yards, but the students know better.

Now I got little cousins going through the same crap. One of them was only 7 years old when she was gang raped on the bus by three 12 year old boys. Nothing happened to the boys, but my little cousin now has to be on ADD meds, and if her mother doesn't stick to the regimen, then social services threaten to take her child away. After all of what is going on, people ask me why I don't have kids, and I'm just like, why bring children into this world to be tortured and destroyed by the system?
There was a local "city father" when I was a teen, even has a park named after him. He was gay and the biggest drug dealer in the area. He traded drugs for sex with some of the high school boys. One kid OD and died at his house. Nothing was done. Police covered it up.

Old 08-19-2018, 01:50 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,270,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
https://www.lehighvalleylive.com/new...se_report.html

301 'predator priests,' more than 1,000 victims in Pa. Catholic church sex abuse report
Lock them up - I'm embarrassed to live in this state right now

Old 08-19-2018, 02:02 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Criteria? Again how about the Boy Scouts? The YMCA? The Baptists?

In general this is a historic record of what happened a while ago. The RCC tried to handle its own bad guys...and that was mostly acceptable to society when it occurred.
You are saying that "society" was good with pedophile priests being relocated to a new group of unsuspecting children and parishioners? I don't know what crowd you hang around but I suspect it is catholic.

Old 08-19-2018, 02:10 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
What this shows you is that the Roman Catholic church - in fact all organized religion - is just another human political / business entity, with similar motivations and failings as we've witnessed in other scenarios. If they were serious about changing this risk, they would at least finally allow female and married priests. The fact that they don't shows you that the operating model is to blindly follow established dogma, like a herd of cattle. With such a primitive mentality, it will not be possible to structurally evolve past this.

Old 08-19-2018, 02:16 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
This question calls to mind the three children in Fatima, Portugal, who say they saw the Virgin Mary, and she gave them a few revelations.

If I'm not mistaken, she said that Benedict would be the last pope.

This could be the downfall of the RC church.
Too bad your "lady" didn't forewarn about all the priests who would be raping our children.

Besides, Benedict is not the last pope.

Old 08-19-2018, 02:34 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Wrong. Civil cases btw are usually decided via a simple majority, and there is no "innocent until proven guilty", but its more like "probably guilty" in real life.

That is why RCC likes to settle. Also because when they do not settle, judgments end up many times greater.

Plus the press will cover every detail, every lawsuit, and the publicity will harm trying to keep sheep in the pews.

The RCC is exposed. With or w/o your consent.

My region has a small % of the RCC churches and schools it had just 30 years ago. And the parking lots of those open-far less full at fewer masses than ever. 10 miles from the Bridgepot, Ct pedophile epicenter first disclosed in the early 1980s.
I presume it will virtually all be civil of course. But you need to establish a sufficient case not to get dismissed. That a priest did wrong does not automatically involve the RCC.

Every body does a risk assessment and settles if it is the rational thing.

Old 08-19-2018, 03:42 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,071,203 times
https://www.click2houston.com/news/n...ling-the-truth

Old 08-19-2018, 04:50 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Pew emptying started in my region right around the time Bridgeport, Ct pedophile ring was exposed.

I think RCC school cost played a role-but not huge. I have several nieces and nephews and am happy to say 0 are around RCC staff daily. Attend Public schools-and one dad of 3 makes several hundred thousand a year. Goes to church, but refuses to let his kids attend those schools. Good parenting. Keep the kids safe.

Good for them for not buying the bull. Most are in denial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post

If you're in a large city where the public school system is lacking, that would explain it. If not, what do you attribute this to?

In Chicago there are waiting lists, and it's exactly as you describe where the parents aren't really religious necessarily, they just don't want to send their kids to the public schools because the public school system stinks. But there are also waiting lists because so many Catholic schools have closed there are limited places to go.

I'm in a Chicago suburb where the school system gets high marks, so no waiting lists for the Catholic grade school, which has dropped to only a couple of hundred students for grades K-8. I honestly don't know how they're even staying open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies