Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did the police act appropriately?
Yes 23 20.54%
No 89 79.46%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 12:41 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,945,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
This is what happens from statist indoctrination. Run and tell daddy on someone not committing aggression.
With so many people using the bike trails where I ride, seeing someone walking around with a knife out (which is completely unnecessary behavior) would make me nervous too. You don't know if they actually plan to use it on someone by making a pretense of innocently walking up to, or past. If she wants to cut dandelions she can do that on her own property.

Last edited by ContraPagan; 08-17-2018 at 01:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2018, 12:49 PM

1,991 posts, read 899,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
With so many people using the bike trails where I ride, seeing someone walking around with a knife out (which is completely unnecessary behavior) would make me nervous too. You don't know if they actually plan to use it on someone they make a pretense of innocently walking up to, or past. If she wants to cut dandelions she can do that on her own property.
C'mon. Upstate NY in the Autumn, you will commonly see a deerhunter walking down a country road with a rifle or shotgun coming or going to their tree stand. Does that bother you as well? Try to assume good intent and you feel better about the people you meet.

Old 08-17-2018, 01:11 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
  • 87 years old
  • using a knife to cut flowers
  • Having trouble walking
  • not able to understand English
  • smiling

A real threat. If cops were so concerned that she was "charging" them with her knife, they could have taken a step backwards and been out of harm's way.

This is simply another case of cowards and/or sadists with badges.

""That was the whole goal, to try to avoid using any type of force, but if we have to use force, use the minimum force," he said. "No one wants to tase anyone, much less an 87-year-old woman.

"But then again what do we do? Do we try to go hands-on? She could have been hurt just as easily, or even fell on the knife itself," he said. "Lord help us if she had tried to stop the officer and held the knife in an aggressive manner, and then deadly force would have been used.""

So, this genius police chief thinks that when someone is tased, and they have a knife in their hands, there is no chance they will fall on that knife.

Old 08-17-2018, 01:13 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
This is why immigrants should learn English. My immigrant grandparents went to night school to learn English and encouraged my parents (born here) to speak English instead of their native language.
My grandfather watched the Lawrence Welk Show to learn English

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlLR_bFryAo

Old 08-17-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Particularly adult immigrant women whose role in the family was to care for the children and home. Learning a new language as an adult isn't easy and many of those women's circle are not English speakers. Add that to the effect that many elderly are hard of hearing.
That's why they should do what my Norwegian grandparents did 6 years after they came here in 1929 - they moved out of the heavily Scandinavian neighborhood in the Bronx where they were living, and moved 150 upstate to a farm in Rennselaer County.

My grandfather's reasoning was that if they stayed enclaved with their own kind, what was the point of them coming here? If you stay with your own, speaking your native language, you are never going to learn to assimilate. My grandfather drove taxi in NYC; Mom still has photos of him in the taxi cab. My mom says my grandmother practiced her English by reading stories like about the Lindburgh baby kidnapping in the newspaper, and I imagine they had a radio too. She became completely fluent, just never lost her accent. When my grandfather died in 1942, she gained a lot of English speakers in her social circle when the families in the church and the neighborhood all rallied around her, a widow with two children, including my 4 year old mom.

Old 08-17-2018, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
C'mon. Upstate NY in the Autumn, you will commonly see a deerhunter walking down a country road with a rifle or shotgun coming or going to their tree stand. Does that bother you as well? Try to assume good intent and you feel better about the people you meet.
Excuse you???? The trails I ride on are part of the Canalways Bike Trail, the sections along both the Hudson and Mohawk Rivers. Paved trails that see a lot of cyclists, walkers, roller bladers, and runners. Most of these trail sections are rather close to residences as well, or else to the highways I-787 and I-890, so you won't see any hunters around.

Old 08-17-2018, 02:18 PM

36,498 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
(I have pictures I took if need be).

I was in a shopping plaza yesterday where there is a Plasma donation center. I was with my son (who says it's easy money). He texts me that there was a guy inside going nuts. Yelling "Help me, help me". An ambulance was there when we got there. I guess the guy punched one of the EMS guys.

Anyway, the police show up. The officer quickly determined this was a person having a mental health issue. He did not go into defensive mode taking the guy down (though this officer was a big lad and could have easily). He talked to him calmly and asked him to come outside. The guy did.......he paced around while the officer talked him down. In a few the officer asked him if he wanted to go to the hospital where the guy walked back and and laid down on the transport gurney.

It's really not that difficult for a police officer to do the right thing and most times they do. When they do not, and they did not here we need to not brush it off. She was no threat.
I guess it helps when everyone speaks at least some English. Perhaps if there were not a language barrier in this case the woman might have just put the knife down.

Old 08-17-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
This was just over the top ridiculous. That policeman needs some serious re-training before he should be around the public again.
Really. He followed protocol. Maybe they should rewrite protocol.

Old 08-17-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Of course the details are relevant. Her age: She may not hear well; she may not be terribly strong; she may not be able to move easily. The dandelions: provide the reason she has a knife.

Seriously, only the most dimwitted idiot cop on the planet would think this woman was a threat. The hiring threshold in this particular department must have been dangerously low.
Why would anyone need a knife to pick dandelions?

Old 08-17-2018, 02:38 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Why would anyone need a knife to pick dandelions?
You pick the "greens". Not the yellow part you see but the green part at the ground. She would dig it out of the ground with her knife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies