Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did the police act appropriately?
Yes 23 20.54%
No 89 79.46%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 05:24 AM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times

Advertisements

an adult with a gun who won't cooperate? cops need to do whatever they have to for their safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2018, 06:17 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Well, according to the cop he couldn't take a step back because he could have fallen and accidentally shot her. Yep, he actually said that. What a stupid, pathetic excuse. Probably worse that what a three-year-old could have come up with.

I'd also like to add... there is a steak knife in the ground in my back yard that I use for weeding. It is absolutely the best tool for gardening. Way better than those dumb forked things that are supposed to be for getting roots out of the ground.
My mom did it that way, too. I can still picture the knife. You probably couldn't have cut butter with it, but it was great for digging weeds.

Old 08-18-2018, 06:25 AM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Granny isn't exempt from following the law. Quite frankly, in this day and age, as a cop I'm not taking any chances that someone is a danger. And even an 87 year old can still be strong enough to cause damage with a blade; she could have also been very frail, but the officer had no way of knowing for sure. In the end, this was non-lethal force being used to get a citizen to comply with a lawful order.

Old 08-18-2018, 07:32 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,476,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
You may be right. It is inconceivable here in Japan at least. Even in a situation where an elderly person was acting crazy and threatening people, police would be gentle. They would follow the person around and keep them from hurting anyone while trying to talk them down. Failing that, when back-up had arrived, they would surround the person. Cops in the front would distract them while those to the side and back disarmed them harmlessly.

Oh, please. That works perfectly in comic books and with superheros...sometimes.

In China it isn't open season on cops. China doesn't have rap music that urges idiots to "F**K the police!" China doesn't have congresswomen like Maxine Waters telling her supporters to push against your opposing force. In fact, it isn't fair to hold China up as an example for Americans to follow.

We don't always need brute force from our police force. Cops have tazers. They are trained to use them. Physically wrestling an old woman to the ground is not smart. I have no doubt she would have fought the cops no matter how many there were. A knife easily opens an artery, blinds and slices off pieces of flesh. It could have been her artery, her flesh, her eye.

Had the old woman dropped the knife as instructed (and I believe she understand perfectly what the cops wanted her to do with that knife), none of this would have happened.

She came away unscathed. So did the cops. Yahoo!

Old 08-18-2018, 08:24 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Oh, please. That works perfectly in comic books and with superheros...sometimes.

In China it isn't open season on cops. China doesn't have rap music that urges idiots to "F**K the police!" China doesn't have congresswomen like Maxine Waters telling her supporters to push against your opposing force. In fact, it isn't fair to hold China up as an example for Americans to follow.
Who did that?

Old 08-18-2018, 09:36 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Quote:

We don't always need brute force from our police force. Cops have tazers. They are trained to use them. Physically wrestling an old woman to the ground is not smart. I have no doubt she would have fought the cops no matter how many there were. A knife easily opens an artery, blinds and slices off pieces of flesh. It could have been her artery, her flesh, her eye.

Had the old woman dropped the knife as instructed (and I believe she understand perfectly what the cops wanted her to do with that knife), none of this would have happened.

She came away unscathed. So did the cops. Yahoo!
The woman did not threaten or try to fight anyone, nor did she resist arrest. She was confused and simply didn't understand the situation. You ought to be able to relate to that.

Old 08-18-2018, 10:34 AM

59,086 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Member1 View Post

" saying she refused to comply with numerous commands to put down a kitchen knife she was using to cut dandelions. But relatives of the octogenarian, Martha al-Bishara, say police failed to use good common sense to prevent the incident from quickly escalating to a use-of-force confrontation in Chatsworth that landed their diminutive matriarch in handcuffs.
"We have nothing but love for this county, but within that context, we think that what happened is absolutely ridiculous," al-Bishara's grandson, Timothy Douhne, a 24-year-old medical student, told ABC News on Wednesday. "If they had calmed down, deescalated the situation, listened a little bit, we wouldn't be having this issue right now. Unfortunately, that's not what happened.
"She told us she was smiling at them to tell them that she wasn't a threat ... and she was trying to get closer to them to communicate with them, and that's when they tased her," he said.

Murray County Jail via AP
A photo released by the Murray County Jail, in Ga. showing Martha Al-Bishara, 87, who was charged with criminal trespass and obstructing an officer, August 10, 2018. more +
"My grandmother is a human being who they didn't have any patience with. What happened to Mayberry?" he said, referring to the fictional small North Carolina town from the old "The Andy Griffith Show." "Would you ever see Andy Griffith tase an 87-year-old woman? It points to a bigger problem with the lack of human interaction."

(MORE: Dashcam footage shows Mississippi police officer firing stun gun at handcuffed suspect)

But Chatsworth Police Chief Josh Etheridge said the officer had little choice but to use a Taser on al-Bishara when she failed to obey numerous orders to put down the knife as the 5-foot-2 woman stepped toward him."

She is luck she wasn't shot!

Being ABLE to SPEAK AND UNDERSTAND English is MANDATORY to becoming a citizen.

Old 08-18-2018, 12:18 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,166,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Granny isn't exempt from following the law. Quite frankly, in this day and age, as a cop I'm not taking any chances that someone is a danger. And even an 87 year old can still be strong enough to cause damage with a blade; she could have also been very frail, but the officer had no way of knowing for sure. In the end, this was non-lethal force being used to get a citizen to comply with a lawful order.
What's so special about "this day and age" compared to older days when cops faced just as many or more threats, yet most never upholstered their guns?

Old 08-18-2018, 01:38 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,476,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
What's so special about "this day and age" compared to older days when cops faced just as many or more threats, yet most never upholstered their guns?
Most cops don't unholster their guns today. You only hear about the ones that do. And you hear it over and over and over ... until you believe nothing else ever happens.

Old 08-18-2018, 02:06 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,166,453 times
Quote:
Most cops don't unholster their guns today. You only hear about the ones that do. And you hear it over and over and over ... until you believe nothing else ever happens.
So, again, with cop on-duty deaths near all time lows, what is so dangerous about "these times?" (I know this wasn't your claim.) Seems to me it is much more dangerous these days to be a citizen - who encounters a cop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies