Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 08:19 AM

11,233 posts, read 8,329,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
"true conservative" funny, Reagan jacked the debt up to unprecedented levels by expanding the welfare and warfare state. But he was very good at convincing folks he was doing the opposite all the while.
I dont support Trump but at least his madness is transparent, unlike those who talk small govt while growing the ever loving sh** out of it.

Sounds like every "True Conservative" I've ever observed (in the USA) for the last 30+ years. I think he was spot-on.

Where you are missing, is that the definition of "conservative" changed as a result of the Helms/Reagan era of US Politics. That in itself is somewhat ironic. The GOP of the last few decades is so blinded that they "changed" conservatism. It's a contradiction of the highest order, just like everything that the GOP has put forth since.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:25 AM

11,233 posts, read 8,329,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
His daughter does not know how her father would re act since the media has changed since the 80's. How would Reagan re act to today's cut throat partisan media of today? Would he roll over and just become a punching bag for the media?

Being a (R) punching bag is what is Bush,McCain,Romney all did. Trump has decided to turn the tables the media is the punching bag. Which method shows leadership?
Look at how Obama acted. With very similar levels of class as Reagan (I did not like Reagan policy, but he at least acted with class, dignity and the dequarem that is expected of a POTUS). Obama was attacked by Fox much more than Trump has been by the so-called liberal media, and unlike the attacks on Obama, those on Trump are just reporting his own tweets, in their full context. Not the lies they made up about Obama.

So, we may not know how Reagan would have acted, but you only need to go back less than two years to see how a POTUS with some dignity would react. The answer is that he did not stoop to the levels. If Trump truly believes that the media is acting without integrity, then his response should be to remain above it. He has done anything but.

in fact, most would say that Trump has more culpability for the current discourse of our nation than anyone. #losing

Old 08-17-2018, 08:26 AM

18,743 posts, read 7,643,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
the reporters who were there doing their jobs.
"Reporters" who tell lies, deliberately mislead their dwindling listeners, and carefully leave out any accounts of the frequent positive results from their targets, are not "doing their jobs".

Or perhaps their jobs are not "reporting", but putting out propaganda instead.

How would Ronald Reagan feel about people showing their disdain and contempt for them?

Old 08-17-2018, 08:31 AM

18,743 posts, read 7,643,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Look at how Obama acted.

So, we may not know how Reagan would have acted, but you only need to go back less than two years to see how a POTUS with some dignity would react. The answer is that he did not stoop to the levels.
Obama couldn't, since outlets like Fox were telling the truth about him. He couldn't "refute" them. In fact,he dared not reply at all.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:42 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,455,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Oh stop, now you are mad because I called you on your discussion of conservatism versus the topic at hand. You did nothing to place them on a more level playing field. Conservatism has nothing to do with the conversation at all.

It is an article about how one revered republican handled the media versus another "revered" republican. Reagan's daughter is trying to make a point to cult supporters who once loved everything about her father.
There is nothing honorable about Reagan, he is a worse human being than Trump.

The media was more subservient to his policies back then (acting as state media) so there was not much conflict to be had. He invaded Panama, butchered Nicaraguans (in complete opposition to international law), armed Saddam with Chemical weapons, created al Qaeda, and that is not even the tip of the iceberg.

The man was a terrorist, not some classy president. His domestic policies empowered private corporations to take more control over the American working class, while his foreign policy pushed for radical imperialism through war crimes and terrorism.

Get a grip.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:52 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,687,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
There is nothing honorable about Reagan, he is a worse human being than Trump.

The media was more subservient to his policies back then (acting as state media) so there was not much conflict to be had. He invaded Panama, butchered Nicaraguans (in complete opposition to international law), armed Saddam with Chemical weapons, created al Qaeda, and that is not even the tip of the iceberg.

The man was a terrorist, not some classy president. His domestic policies empowered private corporations to take more control over the American working class, while his foreign policy pushed for radical imperialism through war crimes and terrorism.

Get a grip.
Get a grip on WHAT? Did I come here touting Reagan. Absolutely not. I know the damage he did and I am no Reagan supporter, although when my husband and I were in the military under his tenure, he did a lot of improvements to bases/housing, etc which all military people loved.

I am simply agreeing with how Reagan handled the media as opposed to what is going on today.

I'm not sure what your beef is.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:22 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,699,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
Trump vs. Reagan. Get me some popcorn. How low will the Trump cult go?
Trump is New Presidential.
The outsider we wanted who has exceeded all expectations.
Tired of the spineless dishrag GOP. Trump is pouring metal into their backbone and helping them to their feet. The GOP was on the canvas taking the ten count. Trump is the fighter, for the people, doing what he campaign on. Reagan's kids, are just Reagan's kids, living off name recognition with no political victories of their own.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:25 AM

30,562 posts, read 19,302,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
The verbal sparring between my father and Sam Donaldson of ABC, or Helen Thomas of UPI, is well documented. But there was never vitriol, there was never name-calling, and if anyone had attacked a journalist, my father would have been the first to stand in the way.

I’ve tried to imagine what my father would have done if people attending a political speech of his had turned to the press and raised their middle fingers, hurled obscenities or physically menaced the reporters who were there doing their jobs. I found it difficult to conjure the image, and then I realized why. It simply wouldn’t have happened. The person on the podium, the person everyone has gathered to see, sets the tone.

Those of us who are horrified by the vilification of the news media, those of us who cringe at the sight of angry mobs jeering at the cordoned-off journalists at Trump rallies, far outnumber those who are swept up by this ugly passion. We are still in the majority. But if we are silent, if we don’t speak up, if we don’t raise our voices and say, “This is not America,” it won’t matter that we are in the majority. Silence didn’t create this country; brazen, unwavering commitment did. And one of those commitments was to a free press — one not controlled or hampered by a demagogue who has a good day only when he’s being flattered.
My father, Ronald Reagan, would never have stood for this

Well said!
True, Reagan just pretty much ignored the liberal hyena's but we've reached a stage when they have to be confronted and defeated and Trump is the man to do it. Reagan couldn't have done it so we need Trump now. It's a fight to the death between the lying super biased press versus Trump and America.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:49 AM

39,897 posts, read 26,582,680 times
Reagan never had to deal with a media anywhere near as vile, petty, ignorant or hate-filled as Trump. Back in the 80s there was at least some attempt at professionalism and civility on the part of the press. The hate filled monkeys they employ now? Not so much.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:54 AM

25,634 posts, read 17,373,200 times
Quote:
My father, Ronald Reagan, would never have stood for this
Yeah, well neither would Truman, Carter, Kennedy or Nixon.
Clinton would have, though.

So if your point is, "Let's impeach Trump!" you are wasting your time.

MAGA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies