Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 63 13.55%
58-60 32 6.88%
55-57 61 13.12%
50-54 198 42.58%
49 or less 111 23.87%
Voters: 465. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 10:29 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,075,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Why would you assume that only men have questions about due process and facts, or that someone who holds this position is of a particular political party? This strikes me as more of an ethics question than a political one. Ethically, given that this woman claims there was an assault and there is a witness, why didn't she report the incident? Why would she think that she would be more believable 36 years later?
You really don't understand how sexual assault reporting works, do you?

Old 09-17-2018, 10:33 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,957,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
You really don't understand how sexual assault reporting works, do you?
I have a vague idea.
Would you explain to me how sexual assault reporting has changed between 1982 and today?

Old 09-17-2018, 10:35 PM

32,071 posts, read 15,072,790 times
Quote:
It's similar to how women treat women who have been in abusive relationships. The first question they ask is : why didn't you leave? There's an ignorance in people about rape in the same way there is ignorance about people in abusive relationships.

This is a "date rape" situation, date rape victims live to tell. If the victim was reluctant to go to police, as a student, there were many institutional options for reporting. Why were none of these options accessed?
I know from personal experience why women don’t tell anyone and I will just leave it at that. Men will never understand because they’ve never been through it and can’t possibly understand the emotional turmoil women go through. And this is ignorance

Old 09-17-2018, 10:39 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,524,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
And I hate the men who don’t believe women when they finally come forward. You have no idea how hard it is to finally tell he truth. It takes a lot of courage. I’m sure most women here have experienced this kind of behavior or worse from men. But you don’t care about women at all. You just care about the Supreme Court nominee
Some women are mentally unwell and others lie through their teeth. That is a fact, whether you like it or not. Women lie and sometimes their memories from long ago are not accurate or reliable.

Anyone who thinks that women always tell the truth and always remember accurately, even when memories are "recovered" using the notoriously unreliable "recovered memory therapy," is herself a candidate for being mentally unwell. That is just not very sound thinking at all.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I know from personal experience why women don’t tell anyone and I will just leave it at that. Men will never understand because they’ve never been through it and can’t possibly understand the emotional turmoil women go through. And this is ignorance
This isn't a gender issue. People of all genders experience rape, and people of all genders can grasp the concept.

The question is why this victim believed that she and her witness would be more believable 36 years after the fact, and why she reported it to a politician rather than police. Is she a bit off?

Guess: her story wasn't credible at the time, and the reason for reporting is political rather than criminal.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:47 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,460,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Truth......what is the truth. Many accusers are proven to be wrong. Men’s lives get ruined, no proof needed. You just don’t get it. Me Too to me as a man is nothing more than a witch hunt against my gender. Your right I feel NO SYMPATHY toward accusers with decades old stories to tell. They always seem to have the convenient effect of earning the accuser money OR promoting the accusers liberal ideals. Oh and I Simply don’t care if liberals hate me, of course I expect that.
Moderate and conservative women and girls have also been harassed, attacked, and raped.

Men and boys of all political stripes have also been harassed, attacked, and raped.

The one thing they all have in common is that nearly all of the physical attackers and rapists have been men or teenage boys.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:48 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,080,699 times
Quote:
This isn't a gender issue. People of all genders experience rape, and people of all genders can grasp the concept.

The question is why this victim believed that she and her witness would be more believable 36 years after the fact, and why she reported it to a politician rather than police. Is she a bit off?
Yes, it is a gender issue. And no, you continue to not get it, no matter how many times it's been explained to you.

I'm not sure if you are being willfully ignorant or you really are unable to comprehend what the women in this thread have been trying to get you to understand, but either way, it's a waste of time repeating the same thing to you over and over again. If you don't get it by now, you never will.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:50 PM

435 posts, read 176,265 times
Why not wait to hear them both testify before you make a conclusion? I don't see how anyone can even make up their mind at this point.

Its just like this Russiar thing. It is pointless to form a conclusion either way until you have all of the evidence.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Moderate and conservative women and girls have also been harassed, attacked, and raped.

Men and boys of all political stripes have also been harassed, attacked, and raped.

The one thing they all have in common is that nearly all of the physical attackers and rapists have been men or teenage boys.
Those are random rapes.
This is an alleged date rape that went unreported for 36 years, and was then reported to the wrong office.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Yes, it is a gender issue. And no, you continue to not get it, no matter how many times it's been explained to you.

I'm not sure if you are being willfully ignorant or you really are unable to comprehend what the women in this thread have been trying to get you to understand, but either way, it's a waste of time repeating the same thing to you over and over again. If you don't get it by now, you never will.
What, only women can fear that they will not be believed when reporting rape? I don't think so.

Date rape 40 years ago was not something that required the intervention of a political party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies