Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 63 13.55%
58-60 32 6.88%
55-57 61 13.12%
50-54 198 42.58%
49 or less 111 23.87%
Voters: 465. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 07:33 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,089,994 times

Advertisements

The FBI agents that would conduct a Kavanaugh investigation are unbiased, non-partisan, and are trained professionals who investigate and interrogate people for a living. Their jobs are to literally get to the bottom of controversial issues.

The GOP-led senate committee is made up of......a majority of republican senators. They're biased, they're partisan, and they are NOT trained to conduct investigations. Senators purpose/employment is to pass legislation.

The point of no return has been reached. If the republicans confirm Kavanaugh without a formal FBI investigation, the house is gone for Republicans in November. And if the Democrats take back the house, Donald Trump is in big, big trouble.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:34 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,043,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Donald Trump just tweeted this 7 minutes ago.

Little Donald himself says he wants a date, time, and place....so that means he wants an FBI investigation so all parties involved can testify, right?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...26336473055235
The dumbest people in this country believe that the FBI investigates 36 year old allegations of abuse where a date, time and location aren't known and the accuser refuses to give details of the accusation.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:34 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,903,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yes, and because the stupidity on display is SO strong... The Merrick Garland nomination occurred in a PRESIDENTIAL election year, NOT a midterm election year, as is currently the case.
It was a fallacy for Biden to propose it
It was a fallacy for McConnell to go through with doing it
And frankly I agree it is a fallacy for this sham of an approval process

McConnell wants to have his cake and eat it too
He wants to decide how to best improve the GOP's chances for winning elections
He did it by withholding Garland's advise and consent process to give leverage for voting Trump in as president, to motivate the GOP rabidly conservative base with the lure of putting a conservative Justice on the court...
He is trying to do the same thing with reverse agenda by rushing through THIS nominee before the midterms and the possible loss of the house--
Why that matters when the SENATE does advise and concent I don't quite get except it is bragging rights for the GOP...
But he is perhaps having the exactly opposite effect--
This GOP strong arm tactic on top of the Garland squeeze job and filling that space with Gorshuch just makes some people more adverse to voting GOP...just because of this...

Trump'''s history of self--proclaimed harassment makes him the least reputable person to be giving advice on Ford/Kavanaugh's situation
He should keep his Twitter shut...because he is his own worst enemy
But he won't...
So looking forward to more self-destructive behavior...

Old 09-21-2018, 07:35 AM

14,489 posts, read 6,105,346 times
Quote:
The FBI agents that would conduct a Kavanaugh investigation are unbiased, non-partisan, and are trained professionals who investigate and interrogate people for a living. Their jobs are to literally get to the bottom of controversial issues.

The GOP-led senate committee is made up of......a majority of republican senators. They're biased, they're partisan, and they are NOT trained to conduct investigations. Senators purpose/employment is to pass legislation.

The point of no return has been reached. If the republicans confirm Kavanaugh without a formal FBI investigation, the house is gone for Republicans in November. And if the Democrats take back the house, Donald Trump is in big, big trouble.

We can have an FBI investigation after she testifies so they can work off her testimony. That’s how it works

Old 09-21-2018, 07:37 AM

988 posts, read 683,415 times
I believe her story has a kernel of truth.

That said, this whole thing will be terrible.

They are both experts at manipulating stories, with careers in psychology and law, respectively.

There is apparently little or no corroborating evidence, which makes the case a no-go in our legal system.

The aim is political. The timing is political.

For the record, I do not support his nomination.

8,665 posts, read 5,852,430 times
Quote:

A-M-E-N to both comments!

12,372 posts, read 9,319,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Many/most women have been similarly assaulted and have never reported them or even talked about them. Why? Decades ago we were programed to believe sexual assaults were our own fault for dressing a certain way or being at parties where our parents didn't know we were or boys-will-be-boys and nothing will happen if it's reported. Coming forward decades later isn't about wanting someone to be charged for a crime, it's about finally being able to talk about a trauma from your past.
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
What a load of crap!!! I'm a woman, have NEVER felt that way, ALWAYS believed I was in control of my own safety, and yes... I was stalked by a rapist in a parking garage in the early morning before work one day but because I ALWAYS practice situational awareness, I kept my eyes on the suspiciously acting man, strode swiftly through that parking garage until I reached a well-populated public area, and that rapist didn't attack me but subsequently attacked someone else before the police could respond to my report of suspicious activity in the parking garage to them.
Well, that settles it doesn't it. YOU never felt a certain way so no other woman on the face of the earth has ever bought into the messages society have long told women that accounts for why many don't report sexual assaults. How arrogant can you get.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:38 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,173,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Trump's tweet just now shows that he and the others in the WH are losing patience
Trump's two year old self can't stand to have this process drawn out even to give it a semblance of fairness..
and the ones behind Kavanaugh--who need Kavanaugh to protect Trump and themselves if push comes to shove--they know the time to push Kavanaugh through is closing quickly...

Trump just went back to the well of familiar ways to accuse the accusers--
Saying if the attack was as bad as she claims then he is sure she and her parents went to the authorities and filed an assault charge against Kavanaugh--
So Trump is saying show us the proof of those charges...

Of course he knows there was no charge--she was a 15 year old girl--she didn't come forward to her parents or to the authorities--
This is just a more polite form of calling her a liar--
And I doubt that Trump wrote that tweet--
It is too controlled, too focused, and too smart to be Trump's...
Are you kidding me? It was a terrible tweet. What is everyone’s (including mine) knee jerk reaction to it?
“Well, duh. She was 15 and had been drinking. No way was she saying a thing as long as there were no outside sign for her parents to question her about.”
I say this as someone who questions her honesty on this. My theory is that Mark Judge may have done it - it is in keeping with his own recollections of the time and his subsequent behavior as he aged - but Kavanaugh wasn’t there and his documented lifelong behavior afterwards is not consistent with what she claims. I think she had the documented reporting of a true event involving partying Georgetown Prep high school boys to therapists and is trying use that record to commit a political assignation.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:38 AM

19,654 posts, read 12,244,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
This doppelganger theory is compelling:

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...theory-emerges

I suspect some might sue this woman for slander.
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/w...ed-blasey-ford

Quote:
I made an appalling and inexcusable mistake of judgment in posting the tweet thread in a way that identified Kavanaugh's Georgetown Prep classmate. I take full responsibility for that mistake, and I deeply apologize for it. I realize that does not undo the mistake.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:39 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
It was a fallacy for Biden to propose it
It was a fallacy for McConnell to go through with doing it
And frankly I agree it is a fallacy for this sham of an approval process

McConnell wants to have his cake and eat it too
He wants to decide how to best improve the GOP's chances for winning elections
He did it by withholding Garland's advise and consent process to give leverage for voting Trump in as president, to motivate the GOP rabidly conservative base with the lure of putting a conservative Justice on the court...
He is trying to do the same thing with reverse agenda by rushing through THIS nominee before the midterms and the possible loss of the house--
Why that matters when the SENATE does advise and concent I don't quite get except it is bragging rights for the GOP...
But he is perhaps having the exactly opposite effect--
This GOP strong arm tactic on top of the Garland squeeze job and filling that space with Gorshuch just makes some people more adverse to voting GOP...just because of this...

Trump'''s history of self--proclaimed harassment makes him the least reputable person to be giving advice on Ford/Kavanaugh's situation
He should keep his Twitter shut...because he is his own worst enemy
But he won't...
So looking forward to more self-destructive behavior...
Complete gobbledygook. Did the Senate confirm or deny Kagan's seating on SCOTUS in 2010, a midterm election year, as we have now in 2018?

Confirm.

You see, Republicans don't play these utterly ridiculous party-first-damn-everything-else childish games. Only Democrats do. It's disgusting. Explains #WalkAway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies