Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2018, 06:05 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,155,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
In Bewitched, written by Barris and Taylor, Samantha, a hardworking black single mom who happens to be a witch, marries Darren, a white mortal who happens to be a bit of a slacker. They struggle to navigate their differences as she discovers that even when a black girl is literally magic, she’s still not as powerful as a decently tall white man with a full head of hair in America.
So an exceptional sister marries a slacker white boy. Exactly why because he is tall and has "good hair"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 06:28 AM

24,415 posts, read 23,070,474 times
In other words: " We'll take a worn out idea from a long time ago and with our lack of writing talent so pervasive in Hollywood today, we'll use an equally old and now non controversial gimmick to make us immune from criticism. A mixed race marriage!"
" Now get some network trolls to pretend to be white supremacists and have them make some negative racial comments so we can get defensive and hype and PR the heck out this pile of hot trash. "

Old 08-27-2018, 06:35 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
In other words: " We'll take a worn out idea from a long time ago and with our lack of writing talent so pervasive in Hollywood today, we'll use an equally old and now non controversial gimmick to make us immune from criticism. A mixed race marriage!"
" Now get some network trolls to pretend to be white supremacists and have them make some negative racial comments so we can get defensive and hype and PR the heck out this pile of hot trash. "

Well, when they own the rights to the show to begin with, that reduces the costs tremendously.

Further consider that practically every major adult player of the original is now dead. I think the only exception is Bernie Koppel and he didn't always play the same character. I don't know if there are legal considerations from that angle......but there could be.

Old 08-27-2018, 07:18 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,383,094 times
I refuse to watch unless Endora has had a sex change, Tabitha is wheel-cheer bound and Gladys Kravitz is an illegal immigrant.

Last edited by EastwardBound; 08-27-2018 at 07:29 AM..

Old 08-27-2018, 07:20 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
I refused to watch unless Endora has had a sex change, Tabitha is wheel-cheer bound and Gladys Kravitz is an illegal immigrant.
good stuff

Old 08-27-2018, 07:21 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Surprised Samantha isn't a drag queen. Hate to see what they could turn Tabitha into.

Old 08-27-2018, 07:38 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,383,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Surprised Samantha isn't a drag queen. Hate to see what they could turn Tabitha into.
I'm sure they'll work drag queens in somehow. Most likely featuring drag queen story time for Tabitha's class.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:01 AM

553 posts, read 617,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Speaking for myself. I detest when they cast someone or re-write the story for PC reasons. Years ago it was rumored that that they were looking at casting a black guy as Thor. Thor is a Nordic god. How many vikings were black? That would be like casting Stallone to play Ali.... It's a very bad fit.

Another example of WTF was the Dark tower. I am a big fan of Idris Elba, but he wasn't right for the character. The character was written as Jose Wales type gunslinger. Later as Kings doppelgänger.

In the case of Betwitched. Why dose it have to be a political statement? Most of us don't watch TV or movies for the politics.

I have no issue with a black Samantha Stevens. I do have issue with the attempt to drive white guilt.
As I recall, the Thor controversy wasn't about the title character's casting, but rather Idris Elba getting the role of Heimdall. He just publicly shot down the years of talk/rumors about him being the next James Bond as well.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:24 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobber123rd View Post
As I recall, the Thor controversy wasn't about the title character's casting, but rather Idris Elba getting the role of Heimdall. He just publicly shot down the years of talk/rumors about him being the next James Bond as well.
I don’t have a problem at all with what color the actor is who plays a role. We all share the same culture which includes our history and our mythology. Why can’t a black man play a role just because the character or historical figure was white? Only exception being if the color of the person is an important part of the story.

What bothers me is the way they are injecting homosexuals into classic stories. There is no place for that BS.

Sexual preference should remain private.

Last edited by PullMyFinger; 08-27-2018 at 08:37 AM..

Old 08-27-2018, 08:33 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
Black people are taking over. We’re coming for The Dukes of Hazzard next.

Find your safe space, OP!
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
That’s what it is. As long as we were on the sidelines begging for the TV table scraps, we were fine people. You know...we were always good for being an extra or a friend of a friend. But being the protagonist is simply going too far for the OP.

But ya just can’t let them black folks get too big for their britches.

Look how triggered these conservatives got over Black Panther.

personally i dont care what the skin color of the actors is, i watch tv and movies for entertainment, and not for skin color. in fact some of my favorite actors are black. give me a good denzel washington movie over some of the white actors that hollywood wants to foist on us that barely have a brain in their heads.

the point i am trying to make is, hollywood needs to start generating new ideas, instead of recycling old ones, and adding PC changes to the scripts. want to do a bewitched style tv show? want to use black actors? want interracial relationships of various sorts? go for it. but come up with some original dialog, situations, character interactions, a new title, etc.

the thing i dislike about hollywood these days is the lack of originality. sometimes they do come up with some original stuff, but most of it is rehashed old stuff. i am surprised they havent remade all the old john wayne movies, or the old jimmy stewart movies yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies