Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2018, 12:44 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,942,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post

TV exec's want to make money, not push social agendas. If they don't make money the get fired.
Yep this is lost on all the hand wringing right wingers in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 12:47 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,687,075 times
The cute twitching nose was Samantha's trade mark -the new nose twitch, will have to pass muster.

Old 08-27-2018, 12:47 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,817,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
We've all seen the damage your side has inflicted on America already. We're keeping score.
Damage inflicted on America? You mean equal rights regardless of race, religion, or sexual orientation?

Old 08-27-2018, 01:05 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,783,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
A black Samantha is perfectly fine... it's the premise that her witchcraft is no match for "white male privilege" that hilariously jumps the shark.
The term white male privilege is not used. What it says is : she’s still not as powerful as a decently tall white man with a full head of hair in America. Which is no different scenario than the original. To me the, full head of hair, bit is a typical lame mainstream comedy remark. Which means the whole thing is meant to be funny.

Old 08-27-2018, 01:44 PM

8,059 posts, read 3,947,393 times
Quote:
The term white male privilege is not used. What it says is : she’s still not as powerful as a decently tall white man with a full head of hair in America. Which is no different scenario than the original. To me the, full head of hair, bit is a typical lame mainstream comedy remark. Which means the whole thing is meant to be funny.
Here's the full quote:

"They struggle to navigate their differences as she discovers that even when a black girl is literally magic, she’s still not as powerful as a decently tall white man with a full head of hair in America."

You have to be dishonest or daft to claim it's not about white male privilege.

Old 08-27-2018, 01:57 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
Sounds like a cool show! All of Kenya Barris' shows are great. Looking forward to it.

Not sure why the OP is bothered by a TV show remake. There have been other Bewitch remakes (I remember a movie) and you can still watch the original to get your nostalgia.

FYI - many black people watched and enjoyed Bewitched too. Looks like Barris and Taylor were fans and wanted to put their spin on the show. I also used to love that show when I was a girl. Much better than I Dream of Jeannie (they came on back to back when my brother and I used to watch them and Jeannie got on my nerves because even as a 6 year old, I thought of her as a goofy slave-like figure lol).

Old 08-27-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
Here's the full quote:

"They struggle to navigate their differences as she discovers that even when a black girl is literally magic, she’s still not as powerful as a decently tall white man with a full head of hair in America."

You have to be dishonest or daft to claim it's not about white male privilege.

So you all know what a show is about even before it airs....okay...

Old 08-27-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Threads like this are hilarious. First off libertarians exposing themselves for what they are, repugs who just hate taxes more than most.

Then the people who are mad because the white male is less than excellent. Did you actually watch the old Bewitched? Darrin was a doofus who had no idea what was going on half the time till his wife explained it to him and his boss Larry was even more clueless.

As for having a black woman be samantha, it seems the righties are more interested in talking about skin color than the 'divisive left'. Finally all the 'how would the lefties feel.if Cosby or the Jeffersons were remade with white people?!?!' That's really funny because Cosby has been remade lots of times. A family comedy has been a staple of network TV since I Love Lucy and Leave it to Beaver. I bet RWNJs are still upset the the Brady's had a divorce as part of the plot line. Those shows are still on today, like Blackish and Modern Family.

In Good Times and the Jeffersons, them being black was intentionally part of the plot line. The struggle of a lower class family who happened to be black. Remind me, was racism over then too?

As for the Jeffersons, their minority status had to do with a fish out of water storyline. Like the Beverly hillbillies but using race instead of social class. The Jeffersons were a little progressive, but not enough to have a white maid, lol.

TV exec's want to make money, not push social agendas. If they don't make money the get fired.
LOL, I especially agree with the bold.

I seriously don't understand the idea that a TV show like Bewitched could be politicized lol.

I do think that many on the right misunderstand the fact that Americans like to see lots of different types of people and families on TV. Shows that are highly rated, usually are non-traditional so it makes sense that if you want to make money off a sitcom, it needs to feature relatable but non-traditional characters and families. Those are the most popular comedy sitcoms on TV today.

Old 08-27-2018, 02:08 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,290,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Sounds like a cool show! All of Kenya Barris' shows are great. Looking forward to it.

Not sure why the OP is bothered by a TV show remake. There have been other Bewitch remakes (I remember a movie) and you can still watch the original to get your nostalgia.

FYI - many black people watched and enjoyed Bewitched too. Looks like Barris and Taylor were fans and wanted to put their spin on the show. I also used to love that show when I was a girl. Much better than I Dream of Jeannie (they came on back to back when my brother and I used to watch them and Jeannie got on my nerves because even as a 6 year old, I thought of her as a goofy slave-like figure lol).
Ah! This black girl loved both Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie! I do agree that Bewitched was better, but only the original Darren episodes. The second Darren was a bit of an ass.

Old 08-27-2018, 02:13 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,783,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
Ah! This black girl loved both Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie! I do agree that Bewitched was better, but only the original Darren episodes. The second Darren was a bit of an ass.
I agree, you can't just switch Dicks midstream and have it a turn out well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies