Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2019, 05:55 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Who do you think is saying that? The question is not can the cop be blamed. The cop did it beyond doubt. The question is how do we treat a terrible error that results in damage to an innocent.

I think it a fascinating question. And the views here appear to be anything from she walks to life in prison.
It's also a "terrible error" to get behind the wheel drunk and kill someone, the ones who do this don't plan on injuring or killing other people.

However, there are consequences and there should be in this case as well.

And damage to an innocent? The man is dead.

She needs to go away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2019, 06:29 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Under that definition then I would say she is guilty.
So now you get the point.

Reading the thread would have been helpful, by the way.

Old 09-30-2019, 07:45 AM

18,561 posts, read 7,375,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
The young man came out of the living area toward the door when he heard it open. They had dialog and then she shot him.

She saw the young man. And he came toward her. No reason to doubt any of that. And no reason he should not have done so.

And I think this view that the cop should not have continued in is simply after the fact second guessing. Under the circumstances the cop did not have enough information to pull back and await reinforcing.
Yeah, she did. And the fact that she went back in negates the claim that she feared for her life (reasonably or otherwise).

Old 09-30-2019, 07:51 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
nbcdfw.com

Trial carried live, Day 7, starting at 9:30 a.m.

So I've been thinking about this. I think I would be willing to completely excuse, with no charges whatsoever, Ms. Guyger breaking into the apartment that was not her own, and reflexively drawing her gun and pointing it at Mr. Jean. Up to that point, I can see that she was completely unaware of her surroundings and was acting in good faith.

It's the following through and shooting him, while she stood basically in the hallway and he was seated on the couch. That's the point where I just can't imagine the arrogance of not giving him a chance to identify himself or comply with her requests, at gunpoint. And THEN, the walking away while he bled out.

I think a lot of this trial is focused on whether she reasonably thought that was her apartment, not what she did after discovering a man seated on the couch in what she perceived (incorrectly) to be her apartment. That's the crux of it, for me. What she did after pulling her gun.

(Had he gotten up and lunged at her, which, frankly, would have been a completely understandable and legal reaction on his part, even pulling a gun and shooting her would have been legal, I could more understand her shooting him. But he didn't do those things. She had all the time in the world to sort this out before pulling the trigger twice)

Old 09-30-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Its manslaughter. If a person got drunk and killed someone in a car thats manslaughter. This cop made an incredibly bad decision. Maybe she was really tired but that was here decision to be tired. Same as a drunk driver.
No. She decided to shoot first and ask questions later. That's not a mistake.

Old 09-30-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Huh? What is your point. A drunk does not intend to kill anyone. But there state increases the potential for it to happen. That is why is said manslaughter and not murder.
But Amber Guyger *did* intend to kill someone.

Old 09-30-2019, 08:02 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Do we know the demographics of the jury?

And there are white posters from TX who say she's guilty. Juries in any state can go either way regardless of how cut and dry it is, but I wouldn't discount them finding her guilty even if every juror is white.
According to this article, they state 5 black jurors, 5 hispanic or asian (weird to lump those together), 2 white jurors, and 2 black and 2 white alternates.

https://newsone.com/3887754/amber-gu...racial-makeup/

Last edited by ClaraC; 09-30-2019 at 08:24 AM..

Old 09-30-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
According to this article, they state 5 black jurors, 5 hispanic or asian (weird go lump those together), 2 white jurors, and 2 black and 2 white alternates.

https://newsone.com/3887754/amber-gu...racial-makeup/
Thanks, Clara. I knew they wouldn't be all white.

Old 09-30-2019, 08:07 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyiNTexas View Post
I don't see a white jury convicting a white cop in Texas

I would wager that Whites on this jury are in the Minority as they are in the city of Dallas.

Old 09-30-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyiNTexas View Post
Texas requires a unanimous vote on criminal matters. You have whites on here like buckeye and lvmensch who have applauded her killing botham. You don't think one white like them is sitting on that jury, in Texas?
Those posters represent a small percentage though. And with only two white jurors, I'm cautiously optimistic that justice will prevail.

The caveat is that juries of any makeup can get it wrong, so we'll see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies