Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2019, 04:17 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,360,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by remsleep View Post
We can at least agree on one thing. Cops do play by different rules. They can break into someone's home, murder them and then blame the victim for not cooperating and get away with it.
Yet to be seen. The cop can clearly marshall a defense. Will it prevail? We shall see.

I did not like the murder rather than manslaughter. Tilts the field toward the cop.

I could personally find her guilty of manslaughter. But not murder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 04:19 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,390,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remsleep View Post
Why is the legal resident of the apartment supposed to cooperate with the criminal that just broke into their home? You seem to forget that the cop had no right to be in his apartment or order him to do anything. She had no legal right to enter, no legal right to issue commands and sure as hell had no legal right or legitimate reason to murder him in cold blood. .
Right. Not only that, but she wasn't a cop at that point, she was off duty. She didn't have a right to issue "commands" to anyone.

Nobody has to cooperate or "obey" a stranger who breaks into their home.

Old 05-10-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Right. Not only that, but she wasn't a cop at that point, she was off duty. She didn't have a right to issue "commands" to anyone.

Nobody has to cooperate or "obey" a stranger who breaks into their home.
Cop is never off duty in most jurisdictions.

Old 05-10-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
Oh, and before anyone gets the wrong impression, I am not victim blaming, I have no idea what the victim in this case did or didn't do. .
Then why are you commenting on it if you don't know what the victim did?

I've read a lot about this case. A lot.

The victim did nothing. He was sitting at home, minding his own business, watching football on TV.

That is all.

And in her 911 call, she never mentioned anything about "cooperation" or lack of it. He didn't have time to think about what was happening. He wasn't granted the opportunity to make any decisions, she went in there and blasted him. He can't tell his side of the story now. He's dead.

The tired old "cooperation" argument is used every single time a police officer murders a black man for no reason. People will point to some way to blame the victim, claim he did the wrong thing or he didn't cooperate; when in many of these cases the victim cooperated fully and did everything right. I've noticed most of the people defending Guyger tend to be white conservatives. That doesn't surprise me.

Old 05-10-2019, 04:36 PM

3,080 posts, read 3,267,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
This is a perfect example of why her story doesn't add up. YOU, as a pedestrian have been trained to become even more alert once you decide a weapon should be drawn. I would think in her case, the training goes far beyond that of a pedestrian. She was drowsy and carrying things isn't a reason for going into an apartment and shooting someone.
Being alert doesn't automatically equate into making good decisions. Along with all the conjecture, someone's anecdotal comment about "being more alert when my hand touches my gun" brings nothing to the party.

Quote:
To believe this was a "mere accident" is to suspend all common sense and is dependent on ignoring the many questions that arise every time someone comes up with an excuse for X, Y and Z and the various scenarios cop apologists are laying out.
For myself, I don't "believe" anything. I've seen some information about stated circumstances. Are there holes, for sure, no doubt. However, it's clear that just as some will "always side with a cop", there are those who are exactly the opposite. Both sides are bringing some wildly unsubstantiated and obviously biased guesses (and in many cases, nothing even remotely approaching "educated" guesses).

Can I envision scenarios that her "mistake" not rise to the level of criminality, no, I don't. Can I imagine scenarios that while she did honestly go into the wrong apartment but reacted recklessly which led to his shooting, yup, for sure. Can I even envision scenarios by which she may have intentionally shot him, yes, I definitely can. But I don't have anything remotely approaching sufficient facts and insights that leads me to any conclusions and this is a perfect example of "devils in the details".

Old 05-10-2019, 04:48 PM

3,080 posts, read 3,267,041 times
Quote:
The victim did nothing. He was sitting at home, minding his own business, watching football on TV.

That is all.
Serious question, how do you know what he did in response to her? Was there video evidence presented/leaked? Was he texting/live streaming/otherwise communicating with someone at the time?

Old 05-10-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Cop is never off duty in most jurisdictions.
Sorry but the news reports say she was off duty.

Old 05-10-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
Serious question, how do you know what he did in response to her? Was there video evidence presented/leaked? Was he texting/live streaming/otherwise communicating with someone at the time?
There is a recording of her 911 call in which she never even once states he did anything wrong.

Old 05-10-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Sorry but the news reports say she was off duty.
Nope. Not off duty. And as soon as she pulls her gun she is a full fledged law enforcement officer. Fact.

Old 05-10-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
There is a recording of her 911 call in which she never even once states he did anything wrong.
Effed up is doing wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies