Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2019, 11:14 AM

1,870 posts, read 2,388,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
He was a drug dealer yet the prosecution didn't mention this as a way to discredit him?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Exactly! The "he was shot in a drug deal gone bad" is a load of horse manure. If he had ties to drugs, the defense would have jumped on that.

Yet - they remained silent.

The defense knew of Joshua Brown's criminal history, but they declined to bring it up at trial because they thought his testimony would help Amber Guyger.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crim...ampant-rumors/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2019, 02:34 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
{shrug} not sure why y'all want to continue to beat a dead horse. Sometimes the jury gets it wrong (OJ, this case) and most times the jury gets it right (Zimmerman, for example).
George Zimmerman was a moron that chased a 17 year old boy through a apartment complex , caught up with him and when the 17 year old boy asking him "why he was following him " didn't say anything !!!

Zimmerman provoked Trayvon Martin into a physical confrontation because he's chasing the kid around and won't leave him alone!!!

Zimmerman is a 28 year old 220 pounds grown man that get his butt handed to him by a 17 year old 157 pounds boy Trayvon Martin !!!

Zimmerman after defying what the police dispatcher told him to do ( not to follow Trayvon Martin) , would provoked Trayvon Martin to defend himself against a dangerous adult harassing and following him ....

Zimmerman realizing that he is losing the fight that he provoked pulls out his gun and shoots the 17 year old boy to death...now why is this justice!!!????!!!

Oh i got it George Zimmerman father is a retired Judge...

Old 10-11-2019, 04:21 PM

15,523 posts, read 10,489,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty MacButter View Post
The defense knew of Joshua Brown's criminal history, but they declined to bring it up at trial because they thought his testimony would help Amber Guyger.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crim...ampant-rumors/
The judge seemed to have known about it too. Everybody knew except for the audience and the jury. That's fine because it had nothing to do with this case. Brown has records (that we know of) in five different counties. Been to the pen twice (that I've heard of). Cocaine, pot, evading arrest, illegal firearms and something else that I can't remember now. Not to mention, he was in a shootout last November. Again, nothing to do with Amber's case. It does rather amuse me how the prosecutors dressed him up like a nerd or gamer. The neck tattoos were a bit of a giveaway though. The suspects are still spilling their guts, they drove to meet and rob him. Hopefully, they will go to jail. I do feel bad for his family.

Old 10-11-2019, 05:48 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,573,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
George Zimmerman was a moron that chased a 17 year old boy through a apartment complex , caught up with him and when the 17 year old boy asking him "why he was following him " didn't say anything !!!

Zimmerman provoked Trayvon Martin into a physical confrontation because he's chasing the kid around and won't leave him alone!!!

Zimmerman is a 28 year old 220 pounds grown man that get his butt handed to him by a 17 year old 157 pounds boy Trayvon Martin !!!

Zimmerman after defying what the police dispatcher told him to do ( not to follow Trayvon Martin) , would provoked Trayvon Martin to defend himself against a dangerous adult harassing and following him ....

Zimmerman realizing that he is losing the fight that he provoked pulls out his gun and shoots the 17 year old boy to death...now why is this justice!!!????!!!

Oh i got it George Zimmerman father is a retired Judge...
Sorry to get you all triggered, but the Jury heard all the facts, and, accordingly, Zimmerman was found not guilty. I thought you knew.

Old 10-11-2019, 09:16 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Sorry to get you all triggered, but the Jury heard all the facts, and, accordingly, Zimmerman was found not guilty. I thought you knew.
Likewise i'm sorry that i triggered you African-American have a history of not receiving Justice here in the United States of America , thought that you were aware of that....

The Zimmerman jury was just as off as the OJ Simpson jury were.....LOL

Old 10-11-2019, 10:09 PM

2,185 posts, read 1,381,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Likewise i'm sorry that i triggered you African-American have a history of not receiving Justice here in the United States of America , thought that you were aware of that....

The Zimmerman jury was just as off as the OJ Simpson jury were.....LOL

He's trolling at this point. He'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience...

Old 10-12-2019, 07:00 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,844,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
The issue is not what actually happened. She clearly shot to kill. The issue is that a juror said one of the major factors in their deliberations was that she stated she intended to kill him before she entered the unit. I don't think that is true. So was the jury verdict based on an untrue view of her testimony?
As I remember, the prosecution asked her if she went in with the intention to kill and she answered, "yes." So, yeah if I were on the jury, that would have done it.

Old 10-12-2019, 12:13 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
The judge seemed to have known about it too. Everybody knew except for the audience and the jury. That's fine because it had nothing to do with this case. Brown has records (that we know of) in five different counties. Been to the pen twice (that I've heard of). Cocaine, pot, evading arrest, illegal firearms and something else that I can't remember now. Not to mention, he was in a shootout last November. Again, nothing to do with Amber's case. It does rather amuse me how the prosecutors dressed him up like a nerd or gamer. The neck tattoos were a bit of a giveaway though. The suspects are still spilling their guts, they drove to meet and rob him. Hopefully, they will go to jail. I do feel bad for his family.

Criminals testify in court cases all the time.

Nothing at all new about that.

Old 10-12-2019, 03:50 PM

3,345 posts, read 2,306,314 times
This tragic incident clearly shows the shoot first ask questions later mentality of stand your ground trend growing around the US. It appears the justice system around the US is progressing backward into the old west.
I don't see any evidence of legit self-defense in this situation(As the black man wasn't trying to attack the officer at all) and a number of other situations where stand your ground made it difficult to impossible to investigate killers or vigilantes. Its not necessarily the legislation itself but the way its applied that is what the scary part. As according to legislation even in stand your ground(and castle doctrine) states you may not use force particularly deadly force unless you are clearly facing clear bodily injury and as a last resort to terminate such injury. Thus it's not intended to pardon you from preemptively killing a drunk person stumbling into you or your apartment by accident even if he is of color. In other situations, you can only use reasonable force only as necessary to repel an attack or threat.
I be curious what would happen if the black man stumbed into the officer's apartment and killed her and claimed self-defense as the officer is likely toting a gun and would raise it on him. I bet he would get a higher prison sentence. And even if in his own apartment I doubt he would had gotton away scot free either.
I don't really see the need for stand your ground laws as if you are attacked and pinned to the ground and the attacker tries to stab or shoot you but you turned the knife and gun on him than that is a legitimate self-defense claim universally in pretty much all of the country or world.
Apparently, this trend started in Florida when a FEMA worker was searching for water outside was perceived as a threat by someone staying in a FEMA trailor who end up chasing him down. Even the family in which this happened didn't want Stand your ground movement yet it started in Florida and rapidly spread towards 30 other states.
I be curious what will happen if things flipped around and Trayton Martin killed George Zimmerman and claimed to stand your ground self-defense. The whole trend is just a radical solution to a nonexistent problem that would be looking for problems on its own and encourage vigilante justice, its hard to believe people had been killed over movie theatre popcorn and parking spaces since this passed. And just recently a highly unnecessary near-tragedy almost occurred fortunately the owner couldn't access to his gun https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/11/us/pa...rnd/index.html I doubt the guy was trying to attack the homeowners just too tired to find the right door. Which is an example is when using force especially lethal force is unjustified. Guns With great power comes with great responsibility should only be used when there is no other way. They teach this in most all martial arts classes too.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 10-12-2019 at 04:32 PM..

Old 10-12-2019, 09:17 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Don't call the police for a well check in the Dallas area. They did not learn a thing from Amber Guyger. This is a new unrelated incident, but how was this woman a threat?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/police-...ay-2019-10-12/

Quote:
A Fort Worth police officer shot and killed a woman inside her own home early Saturday morning, CBS Dallas-Fort Worth reports. Just before 2:30 a.m., police responded to a welfare call in the Hillside Morningside neighborhood, where the front door to a residence was reported open.

When officers arrived, they searched the perimeter of the house and saw a person standing inside the residence, near a window.

In a statement released Saturday afternoon, the Fort Worth Police Department said an officer perceived a threat then drew his weapon. He fired one shot, striking and killing 28-year-old Atatiana Jefferson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies