Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2018, 02:36 PM

2,260 posts, read 1,140,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Watch the end result be...nothing is done to her.

On another note, I cannot wait until the cop who murdered Laquon McDonald in Chicago is sentenced next year. It's been half a century since a Chicago cop has been found guilty of murder while on the job. I hope all the cops there that night and involved in the coverup are also found guilty. You just know if you and I were complicit in covering up a crime we'd be toast.
If nothing is done to her, I hope someone steps in and questions the prosecutors motives so the case can be appealed.

What sucks about the cop that killed Laquon, I think the only reason he was charged is because of the egregious cluster f&ck around the case. Cover up, 16 shots, video, the prosecutor COULDNT cover it up so he had no choice.
Im pretty sure the prosecutor and the D.A. tried to figure out some way to get him off before giving up and indicting him.

The question is then, how many other cops committed murder in Chicago in the last half century that was able to be covered up or manipulated to a not guilty verdict in court? Probably just a normal practice of "a dead man cant testify".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2018, 06:05 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,638,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
If nothing is done to her, I hope someone steps in and questions the prosecutors motives so the case can be appealed.

What sucks about the cop that killed Laquon, I think the only reason he was charged is because of the egregious cluster f&ck around the case. Cover up, 16 shots, video, the prosecutor COULDNT cover it up so he had no choice.
Im pretty sure the prosecutor and the D.A. tried to figure out some way to get him off before giving up and indicting him.

The question is then, how many other cops committed murder in Chicago in the last half century that was able to be covered up or manipulated to a not guilty verdict in court? Probably just a normal practice of "a dead man cant testify".
In a corrupt organization like the CPD, I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers weren't in the hundreds.

We wouldn't have even heard about Laquon McDonald if a journalist hadn't sued for the release of the video and a judge hadn't ordered it. It was proven that Rahm Emanuel was involved in covering it up. He would have lost the last election had this information been made public.

All of those involved should be charged and tried - including Rahm.

Take a look at this website someone started and then ask yourself why, oh why, Democrats like this are elected because the thought is that Republicans are too evil to elect.

https://www.rahmhatesus.com/

I'm sure it's business as usual as far as what the corrupt CPD are up to. Jason Van Dyke going to prison isn't going to change a thing.

Old 12-23-2018, 08:07 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,077,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
This really worries me. This might be another case of the prosecutor over charging to protect the cop to deliberately get a not guilty verdict.
What if the jury just convicted on murder anyway, if they were given no other option? I mean even though the charge of murder may be incorrect, the penalty is still steep, and the cop deserves a steep penalty for what she did, doesn't she?

Old 12-23-2018, 08:07 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,388,360 times
This woman should be prosecuted for murder.

Old 12-23-2018, 08:46 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,638,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
What if the jury just convicted on murder anyway, if they were given no other option? I mean even though the charge of murder may be incorrect, the penalty is still steep, and the cop deserves a steep penalty for what she did, doesn't she?
Unless a jury has been convinced that a person acted with the intent to murder someone, they won't convict. While her story doesn't add up, there is no evidence she intended to murder him. So they won't convict.

They have to do their job as outlined and few jurors are going to violate their ethical obligation 'just because'.

And I say few because there have been instances where jurors do violate their ethical obligation. See the OJ murder case, for one, where a juror said she felt he did it but not convicting him was pay back.

Old 12-23-2018, 11:44 PM

30,280 posts, read 23,772,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
What consequences do you think is appropriate for her actions?

A slap on the wrist?

She killed an innocent person through her negligence so not only should her punishment be the same as if a civilian did it, but should actually be more severe since she was trained in paying attention to detail and also protecting the public. That is 3 strikes for her.
I agree with this. Even truck drivers are held to a higher standard when driving because they have been tested and trained. They get the book thrown at them if something happens where they were at fault, even if it was an accident.

A cop is trained to be observant, notice their surroundings, and once you're trained to do that, you can't shut it off. It's not like as soon as you clock out for the day, you stop being aware of your surroundings - you're trained, and that training can save your life and your partner's life - to the point that you will be vigilant even when on your own time.

Just another reason that I call her excuse complete and utter horse manure. I don't think this was an accident at all, I think she meant it. She should be charged with murder and sent to prison for life.

Old 12-23-2018, 11:51 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,388,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
The charge of murder is correct. She committed murder. She admits it.

The question is whether she has a defense.

Old 12-23-2018, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Unless a jury has been convinced that a person acted with the intent to murder someone, they won't convict. While her story doesn't add up, there is no evidence she intended to murder him.
Except for the fat that she admits pulling the trigger of her gun, which proves murder conclusively under Texas law.

The question is whether she has a defense.

Old 12-23-2018, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I think it is public/political pressure for the charges. A lot of the people putting the pressure on have about zero clue of the legal system.

This was the case with Zimmerman (please not derailing the thread, just pointing out an example) that he was overcharged, and the jury did not even have the option for more applicable charges.
He was overcharged only in the sense that the cops who investigated the case believed he acted in self-defense, and he was charged solely for political reasons. There was no lesser offense he could have been convicted of.

Old 12-24-2018, 12:41 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,841,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I agree with this. Even truck drivers are held to a higher standard when driving because they have been tested and trained. They get the book thrown at them if something happens where they were at fault, even if it was an accident.

A cop is trained to be observant, notice their surroundings, and once you're trained to do that, you can't shut it off. It's not like as soon as you clock out for the day, you stop being aware of your surroundings - you're trained, and that training can save your life and your partner's life - to the point that you will be vigilant even when on your own time.

Just another reason that I call her excuse complete and utter horse manure. I don't think this was an accident at all, I think she meant it. She should be charged with murder and sent to prison for life.
You think she went out her way to purposely murder him? As in she got done with work, came to her condo building, went to his unit, then murdered him? Do you have a reason she did this?

So far from the news, there is zero evidence this is murder. There is zero evidence of any relation between them, and zero evidence she had intent to go to his apartment and kill him. The prosecution has to prove beyond a reasonable doubt, from the news, I do not even see evidence for a murder charge, let alone beyond a reasonable doubt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies