Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2018, 05:37 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,080,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
That's not how the law works. Criminal negligence needs to meet certain criteria. For example, daydreaming in your car (but not speeding, or driving under the influence) would not constitute criminal negligence. And nor it should - punishing someone to prison won't bring the person back. Two wrongs don't make a right.
A cop should be held to a higher standard. We arm them and train them to use that firearm with judgement and discretion. She was either poorly trained or simply a poor excuse for an LE if her first inclination is to merely start shooting at shadows.

Either way, she should be held to a higher standard than someone daydreaming in their car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 05:41 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,811,117 times
This whole thing is just freaking weird.

Old 09-11-2018, 05:42 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,636 posts, read 17,982,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Maybe but that doesn't really change anything if she still thought she was confronting an "intruder" in "her apartment" and is a different scenario from saying she knew it wasn't her apartment and went there to shoot the guy.
I realize that - but the Castle Doctrine doesn't cover walking into your home knowing ahead of time an intruder is in there, and killing them. The Castle Doctrine covers you if you're IN the home and suddenly fear for your life or your family's lives when an intruder enters.

For her to have done this - in the DARK - is terrible.

(At first I thought she was completely startled and reflexively grabbed her gun and shot, but that doesn't appear to be the case anymore).

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
A cop should be held to a higher standard. We arm them and train them to use that firearm with judgement and discretion. She was either poorly trained or simply a poor excuse for an LE if her first inclination is to merely start shooting at shadows.
A cop should be held to a higher standard but are they not trained to shoot first and ask if it was legit later?

19,649 posts, read 12,235,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
What was her motive to go to his apartment and murder him? Seems she would've claimed he tried to attack her if that was the case. She reportedly only claimed she shot at a silhouette in the darkness.
We don't yet know if she was impaired. According to reports there was a recent history of multiple noise complaints from neighbors below Jean and she lived below him. She may have had past contact with him. Maybe she was feeling confident and wanted to confront him or scare him in the middle of the night with her uniform and gun, things went bad fast and she lost it. Perhaps forensics would not support a claim that he was attacking her so she went with her wrong apartment story.

Old 09-11-2018, 05:44 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,080,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
A cop should be held to a higher standard but are they not trained to shoot first and ask if it was legit later?
It does seem that way, doesn't it?

Old 09-11-2018, 05:45 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,636 posts, read 17,982,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Is that a serious question?

Old 09-11-2018, 05:50 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,510,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Just because you don't like someones race or profession or whatever doesn't mean you get to reinvent legal definitions because you're angry.

Unless it turns out there was more to it than her being an idiot, manslaughter is the proper charge unless you want them to intentionally charge her with the wrong crime so she gets off scott-free??

https://criminal.findlaw.com/crimina...-overview.html
Texas doesn't officially use the term 2nd degree murder. The equivalent in Texas is known as just "murder," which is a first degree felony. One of the three murder standards is that:

"The defendant intended to cause serious bodily injury and committed an act that was clearly dangerous to human life and this act caused the death of an individual"

https://statelaws.findlaw.com/texas-...rder-laws.html

Even relying on her Swiss cheese story in the one-sided affidavit, she could easily be charged with murder under that standard.

Old 09-11-2018, 05:52 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,012,645 times
This is purely conjecture, but from the photos of the Dallas police officer, she looks like she might be a druggie. I say this as a former rehab professional. Only 30 yrs. old, and she already has pronounced 'raccoon eyes.'

I think there will eventually be much more to this story. She said the door was ajar. Who leaves their door ajar in a large apartment building in a big city? Neighbors said they heard her bang on the door and shout let me in. A trained officer would not fire at a shadow without seeing a gun, knife, or other deadly weapon. They train on this stuff backwards and forwards. She would have backed away and called for back-up.

Old 09-11-2018, 05:53 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,879,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
We don't yet know if she was impaired. According to reports there was a recent history of multiple noise complaints from neighbors below Jean and she lived below him. She may have had past contact with him. Maybe she was feeling confident and wanted to confront him or scare him in the middle of the night with her uniform and gun, things went bad fast and she lost it. Perhaps forensics would not support a claim that he was attacking her so she went with her wrong apartment story.
I don't think she went to his apartment to confront him. I think most likely she negligently went to his apartment thinking she was going home to her apartment. Then she was too quick to shoot an "intruder".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies