Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2018, 03:40 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,881,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
It seems obvious that she went to the wrong floor, and attempted to enter the wrong apartment--the one directly above hers.
Yeah that seems most likely why she entered his apartment. She reportedly parked on the floor one above hers and then maybe entered the apartment on autopilot. Where she really screwed up was being so quick to shoot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 03:56 PM

2,362 posts, read 778,880 times
There is two issues here. One, is she telling the truth? Was this really an accident? Will be hard to prove one way or the other, probably why only manslaughter charges were recommended.

The second is, what appropriate punishment is to be given out for an accident (if we take her word)? If someone accidentally runs you over and kills you because they were daydreaming, they probably won't serve a day in prison. Same result though, you're dead and the family wants some 'justice.' I'm not sure what truly is justice if this was truly an accident.

Old 09-11-2018, 03:58 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,303,823 times
Accident or not, the fact that you have something in your posession that can murder someone, whether it be a gun or a car, and you're not 100 percent alert....it's on you. You're being negligent.

Old 09-11-2018, 04:02 PM

2,362 posts, read 778,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
Accident or not, the fact that you have something in your posession that can murder someone, whether it be a gun or a car, and you're not 100 percent alert....it's on you. You're being negligent.
That's not how the law works. Criminal negligence needs to meet certain criteria. For example, daydreaming in your car (but not speeding, or driving under the influence) would not constitute criminal negligence. And nor it should - punishing someone to prison won't bring the person back. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Old 09-11-2018, 04:55 PM

19,650 posts, read 12,239,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I think some people are making things up to try to make it appear that she intentionally murdered this man. I don't really buy their claims just yet. They don't make a lot of sense and seem unlikely.
I think she may have murdered him. Her claims don't fit well at this point- the doors in the building close shut so they would not be ajar. She missed the red mat, though she put packages on the floor etc. If witnesses say they heard her knocking on his door and calling out 'Let me in" I am inclined to believe them. If she is lying I hope she spends her whole miserable life in jail.

Old 09-11-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I think she may have murdered him. Her claims don't fit well at this point- the doors in the building close shut so they would not be ajar. She missed the red mat, though she put packages on the floor etc. If witnesses say they heard her knocking on his door and calling out 'Let me in" I am inclined to believe them. If she is lying I hope she spends her whole miserable life in jail.
What was her motive to go to his apartment and murder him? Seems she would've claimed he tried to attack her if that was the case. She reportedly only claimed she shot at a silhouette in the darkness.

Old 09-11-2018, 05:18 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
What was her motive to go to his apartment and murder him? Seems she would've claimed he tried to attack her if that was the case. She reportedly only claimed she shot at a silhouette in the darkness.
I think somehow she knew he was in there before she entered the apartment. I don't know what was yelled before she entered - witnesses differ.

But it does seem that she didn't enter and then become completely surprised to find a stranger in what she believed was her apartment.

I think she entered with the knowledge that she just might kill whoever is in there, depending on what happens once she's inside - Castle doctrine and all.

I think she went in there to take care of business, and if that involved killing an intruder she was up for it.

Old 09-11-2018, 05:19 PM

28,678 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
There is two issues here. One, is she telling the truth? Was this really an accident? Will be hard to prove one way or the other, probably why only manslaughter charges were recommended.

The second is, what appropriate punishment is to be given out for an accident (if we take her word)? If someone accidentally runs you over and kills you because they were daydreaming, they probably won't serve a day in prison. Same result though, you're dead and the family wants some 'justice.' I'm not sure what truly is justice if this was truly an accident.
Yeah, you very well may go to jail in that scenario. Particularly if they can prove you were distracted, such as if your phone shows you were texting at the moment.

Old 09-11-2018, 05:19 PM

2,260 posts, read 1,139,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
With a gun pointed at you, it is. The armed person has full advantage. You will be shot down if you run. If the armed person is a cop the odds of your being shot dead increase.

Yeah right.
Thats IF you are allowed enough time to avoid reacting in your own house and HOPE that the person with the gun doesnt just start guns blazing, which is what she did according to her story. No warning, just two shots (if thats the truth).

She needs to be given at least half of her life in jail because she put herself in a situation where Jean had no chance of living whatsoever, no matter what he did. In the wrong apartment, in the dark, no warning, and just start shooting. THATS why she must be jailed. There is no benefit of doubt here, the victim was basically executed.

An example needs to be made of her to show people that you cant go in the wrong place, kill people, and get off because "oops". The same needs to be done with cops that raid the wrong house and kill its occupants.

Old 09-11-2018, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I think somehow she knew he was in there before she entered the apartment. I don't know what was yelled before she entered - witnesses differ.

But it does seem that she didn't enter and then become completely surprised to find a stranger in what she believed was her apartment.

I think she entered with the knowledge that she just might kill whoever is in there, depending on what happens once she's inside - Castle doctrine and all.

I think she went in there to take care of business, and if that involved killing an intruder she was up for it.
Maybe but that doesn't really change anything if she still thought she was confronting an "intruder" in "her apartment" and is a different scenario from saying she knew it wasn't her apartment and went there to shoot the guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies