Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2018, 10:33 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
It sure seems like the safest route whether it is a cop or an intruder holding a gun. Put your survival before your pride.
I wouldn't be feeling very confident that compliance would ensure my survival. Someone comes into my home waving a gun around, and I think the safest route to me would be to get away from this person. To barricade myself in the bedroom, to get to a phone to call for help, to scream to my neighbors for help. Quietly putting my arms up and falling to my knees when I don't know who this person is or what their intentions are doesn't sound like the safest route to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 10:36 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,881,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Not so much an "obligation" per se - more like, "choosing one's battles" in the present moment, perhaps looking forward to proper justice when cooler heads prevail.
As terrible as this situation was, and as much as I think the officer was at fault, the more I think about it the more I agree with you. You should never “have to” comply if you’re not doing anything illegal in your own home, however, if there is a possibility of lost life, it makes sense to do so and then sue the heck out of the officer after the fact.

Although with the caveat that if it’s dark and someone tells you to put your hands up in your own home, there would be a lot running through your head regarding your safety. The officer should have made it very clear that she was a cop, and if she was at a distance from him, you’d think that would spark some dialogue that would clear up the whole “mistake.”

There are just too many things about this story that don’t make sense, even if you believe parts of the officer’s story. This is one of them. What did he say in response to her commands (one would assume he would say something along the lines of ‘why are you in my apartment,’ which would have caused for pause), Why weren’t the lights turned on? If he wasn’t moving towards her then why was he shot? If she noticed someone as soon as she walked in, why not turn the light on, step out, close the door and call for backup?

Old 09-11-2018, 10:39 AM

46,965 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
But that's not the only consequence she will be dealing with.
Don't use deadly force if you're not willing to deal with deadly-force-type consequences. More to the point, don't jump to deadly force immediately.

Old 09-11-2018, 10:39 AM

78,436 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
So she's going to only be charged with manslaughter?

If the roles were reversed, and a black man walked into a white woman's apartment, shot her head, and claimed it was an accident because he entered the wrong apartment. I wonder if he would get just manslaughter?

If somebody walks into my child's home and kills them, I want Murder 2 charges. To say this woman cop was "unbelievably irresponsible" doesn't even begin to capture her fatal mistake. Somebody is dead because she's an idiot.
Just because you don't like someones race or profession or whatever doesn't mean you get to reinvent legal definitions because you're angry.

Unless it turns out there was more to it than her being an idiot, manslaughter is the proper charge unless you want them to intentionally charge her with the wrong crime so she gets off scott-free??

https://criminal.findlaw.com/crimina...-overview.html

Old 09-11-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Just because you don't like someones race or profession or whatever doesn't mean you get to reinvent legal definitions because you're angry.

Unless it turns out there was more to it than her being an idiot, manslaughter is the proper charge unless you want them to intentionally charge her with the wrong crime so she gets off scott-free??

https://criminal.findlaw.com/crimina...-overview.html
I guess the important bit is to make sure you have a witness on hand who can hear you say "Ooops".

Old 09-11-2018, 10:42 AM

19,650 posts, read 12,239,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I wouldn't be feeling very confident that compliance would ensure my survival. Someone comes into my home waving a gun around, and I think the safest route to me would be to get away from this person. To barricade myself in the bedroom, to get to a phone to call for help, to scream to my neighbors for help. Quietly putting my arms up and falling to my knees when I don't know who this person is or what their intentions are doesn't sound like the safest route to me.
With a gun pointed at you, it is. The armed person has full advantage. You will be shot down if you run. If the armed person is a cop the odds of your being shot dead increase.

A neighbor of mine years back got turned into swiss cheese for not complying with police in a middle of the night raid. He was just a low level drug dealer and they didn't find much in his apartment so he would have probably just got a fine for possession.

Quote:
It sure seems like the safest route whether it is a cop or an intruder holding a gun. Put your survival before your pride.
It might be safest, but I'm for sure not seeing where it acts as a defense for the violent intruder.

18,983 posts, read 9,082,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
As terrible as this situation was, and as much as I think the officer was at fault, the more I think about it the more I agree with you. You should never “have to” comply if you’re not doing anything illegal in your own home, however, if their is a possibility of lost life, it makes sense to do so and then sue the heck out of the officer after the fact.

Although with the caveat that if it’s dark and someone tells you to put your hands up in your own home, there would be a lot running through your head regarding your safety. The officer should have made it very clear that she was a cop, and if she was at a distance from him, you’d think that would spark some dialogue that would clear up the whole “mistake.”

There are just too many things about this story that don’t make sense, even if you believe parts of the officer’s story. This is one of them. What did he say in response to her commands (one would assume he would say something along the lines of ‘why are you in my apartment,’ which would have caused for pause), Why weren’t the lights turned on? If he wasn’t moving towards her then why was he shot? If she noticed someone as soon as she walked in, why not turn the light on, step out, close the door and call for backup?
This was a trained police officer. She is the one who should have been in control in this situation. Either she was poorly trained, or she had no business being a cop to begin with, if she is unable to put her training to use in a stressful situation--which is what we expect from our LE.

I go with the second option. Given her "shoot first, ask questions later" mode of operating, she obviously had no business on the force to begin with.

Old 09-11-2018, 10:48 AM

78,436 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I guess the important bit is to make sure you have a witness on hand who can hear you say "Ooops".
No the important bit is having absolutely no motive, prior grudge, history with the other person....which they'll be investigating via the shooters digital footprint as well as interviews with the various apartment neighbors.

Shooting your ex after a bitter break-up for example, doesn't get murder 1 or 2 reduced to manslaughter because you said "oops".

Old 09-11-2018, 10:49 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
With a gun pointed at you, it is. The armed person has full advantage. You will be shot down if you run. If the armed person is a cop the odds of your being shot dead increase.

A neighbor of mine years back got turned into swiss cheese for not complying with police in a middle of the night raid. He was just a low level drug dealer and they didn't find much in his apartment so he would have probably just got a fine for possession.
Maybe, in a fully lit apartment. But in the dark, did Jean even realize she was holding a gun? It's 10 o'clock on a Thursday night. He's probably just laid down to sleep when he hears something strange, he gets up to check it out, hasn't even turned the lights on yet, when a voice shouts "Hands up! Put your hands up!" and then opens fire. It doesn't sound like she gave him a chance to comply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies