Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2018, 10:35 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,067,385 times

Advertisements

Oh okay, but I thought that with her confession of intent, compounded with the fact that she went into someone else's apartment and had no business being there, would be enough to convict, compounded together.

I mean if this were a regular person who walked into someone else's apartment "thinking it was theres", and killed someone in 'self defense', that person I think would be a lot more easy to convict than a cop, based on these two things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2018, 10:38 AM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Oh okay, but I thought that with her confession of intent, compounded with the fact that she went into someone else's apartment and had no business being there, would be enough to convict, compounded together.

I mean if this were a regular person who walked into someone else's apartment "thinking it was theres", and killed someone in 'self defense', that person I think would be a lot more easy to convict than a cop, based on these two things.
There are some special "outs" for police officers, and "didn't follow the officer's instructions" is a tried-and-true defense available only to police.

Old 12-24-2018, 10:45 AM

Oh okay. I talked to my martial arts teacher about things like this before, cause he is a police officer as well, and he said that this kind of defense is BS cause there are several ways an officer is trained to subdue and handcuff and unarmed suspect who doesn't follow instructions, and that's the prosecution's job to point out these proper methods as well as put other officers and trainers on the stand willing to testify to these methods unequivocally.

Is he right though, on that?

Old 12-24-2018, 10:46 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,957,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
There are some special "outs" for police officers, and "didn't follow the officer's instructions" is a tried-and-true defense available only to police.
This needs to be changed but I do not see how since they are protecting each other.
Daniel Shaver was crying like a girl and pleading for his life and failed a step in the Simon Says game and was murdered for it and the cop was not charged.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Old 12-24-2018, 10:49 AM

But just because the police use that a defense does not mean that a jury has to agree with that defense though. A jury is still allowed to disagree with the defendant's defense, aren't they? Of course the defendant is going to say I had to do it, and it was self defense, and I had no choice, etc. That's what people charged with murder do.

Old 12-24-2018, 10:51 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,081,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
This woman should be prosecuted for murder.
I agree. A private American citizen was sitting in his own home, minding his business. And that man is now dead because or her actions.

Cop or not, genuine mistake or not, she must pay. Lock her up.

Old 12-24-2018, 11:48 AM

How is it that the police that came to know of this crime. After she shot the guy, did she then call 911 and ambulance and actually tell them that a man broke into her apartment and was there, when she got home, only to be told by the investigating officers that this is not her apartment?

Old 12-24-2018, 11:58 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
How is it that the police that came to know of this crime. After she shot the guy, did she then call 911 and ambulance and actually tell them that a man broke into her apartment and was there, when she got home, only to be told by the investigating officers that this is not her apartment?
If I recall correctly, she realized right after the event she was not in her apartment, she contacted 911, stayed on scene, rendered assistance, etc.

Old 12-24-2018, 12:02 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
What else has to proven though, if she is on the record saying that she shot him intentionally?
Shot him intentioanlly under a specific circumstance.

Just as when a homeowner shot his son, thinking he was breaking into the house.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-his-teen-son/

That is an example out of Ohio, but just because you intentionally shoot someone, does not mean it is automatically murder, there are a series of circumstances and intent behind it.

I want her to do time, she deserves to do time, but she is going to walk if the only charge the jury can levy is capital murder, and that will be a shame and injustice.

Old 12-24-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
If I recall correctly, she realized right after the event she was not in her apartment, she contacted 911, stayed on scene, rendered assistance, etc.
Do you think that maybe her story may be phony though, like she made this up as a means to get off on the crime and perhaps she wanted to kill this man for a different reason entirely?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies