Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2018, 12:09 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,714,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
The economic stimulus package which congress approved. Honestly, why do you need to ask. Do you not follow politics.
Had the curve in real GDP growth remained steady from, say, 2010 to the present, you would have some chance of creating a valid argument for your position. However, it did not.

The truth is, there is not yet a consistent trend of real GDP growth to support any argument that Trump's policies are successful at this point, either. Consumer confidence, on the other hand, is by far the highest it's been since 2014 - and has steadily risen since early 2017, which can be used to predict that we are headed in a good direction.

I do think that Obama's stimulus package had a positive effect and started us in the right direction. However, the recent surge in GDP growth is not due to some delayed reaction. Face it, the economy - at least for now - is booming. Whether it will continue to do so is an unanswered question, but the recent boom is the result of people's reactions to Trump and his policies, not Obama. Most people care about one thing more than they care about anything else: whether or not they can provide for themselves and their family. Right now, according to consumer confidence levels, most Americans are feeling pretty positive on that front and they are going to associate that feeling with whomever is currently in office, even if they don't necessarily like him, and even if they don't admit it on a conscious level. By constantly railing against Trump you and the rest of the TDS crowd are effectively shouting from the rooftops that you want Americans to be poor, or at least feel poor, because you don't like him. That may not be the worst method for converting people to your side of the argument, but it ranks somewhere up there with the Muslim extremists' predilection for slaughtering those who disagree with them and the Catholic Church's pedophile population. In the immortal and often misquoted words of James Carville (who bears a striking resemblance to the banjo playing hillbilly kid in Deliverance), "The economy, stupid." Right now, people are believing in the American economy at near record levels, which leads to your hatred of Trump being translated into a hatred of their happiness.

Old 09-09-2018, 12:19 AM

32,069 posts, read 15,072,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Had the curve in real GDP growth remained steady from, say, 2010 to the present, you would have some chance of creating a valid argument for your position. However, it did not.

The truth is, there is not yet a consistent trend of real GDP growth to support any argument that Trump's policies are successful at this point, either. Consumer confidence, on the other hand, is by far the highest it's been since 2014 - and has steadily risen since early 2017, which can be used to predict that we are headed in a good direction.

I do think that Obama's stimulus package had a positive effect and started us in the right direction. However, the recent surge in GDP growth is not due to some delayed reaction. Face it, the economy - at least for now - is booming. Whether it will continue to do so is an unanswered question, but the recent boom is the result of people's reactions to Trump and his policies, not Obama. Most people care about one thing more than they care about anything else: whether or not they can provide for themselves and their family. Right now, according to consumer confidence levels, most Americans are feeling pretty positive on that front and they are going to associate that feeling with whomever is currently in office, even if they don't necessarily like him, and even if they don't admit it on a conscious level. By constantly railing against Trump you and the rest of the TDS crowd are effectively shouting from the rooftops that you want Americans to be poor, or at least feel poor, because you don't like him. That may not be the worst method for converting people to your side of the argument, but it ranks somewhere up there with the Muslim extremists' predilection for slaughtering those who disagree with them and the Catholic Church's pedophile population. In the immortal and often misquoted words of James Carville (who bears a striking resemblance to the banjo playing hillbilly kid in Deliverance), "The economy, stupid." Right now, people are believing in the American economy at near record levels, which leads to your hatred of Trump being translated into a hatred of their happiness.
Without Obama, Trump would not have inherited a growing economy. Why is it so hard to admit that Obama got us out of recession. I don’t hate Trump. I just think he’s corrupt and unfit to run our country.

Old 09-09-2018, 12:29 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,714,981 times
Quote:
Without Obama, Trump would not have inherited a growing economy. Why is it so hard to admit that Obama got us out of recession. I don’t hate Trump. I just think he’s corrupt and unfit to run our country.
I just said that Obama started us in the right direction. How did you miss it?

Old 09-09-2018, 12:31 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,525,563 times
Quote:
It was the slowest recovery in history...

Old 09-09-2018, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
I just said that Obama started us in the right direction. How did you miss it?
Sorry, I apologize

Old 09-09-2018, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
It was the slowest recovery in history...
So what. Obama got us out of it.

Old 09-09-2018, 12:40 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,213,258 times
His Ego will not allow him to quietly fade away into the background.
But his 'accomplishments' will take decades to heal.

Old 09-09-2018, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
His Ego will not allow him to quietly fade away into the background.
But his 'accomplishments' will take decades to heal.
Trump has very few accomplishments so it won’t take any time to reverse them. And yes, his ego won’t allow him to quietly fade away.

Old 09-09-2018, 12:52 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,884,675 times
Quote:
So what. Obama got us out of it.
Obama? All by himself? Spent more than all Presidents that came before him combined. That 22 trillion debt is an amazing number.
So 540 million to Solyndra, how did that help to get us out of a recession?
Cash for clunkers?
I will admit, the company making those signs, paid for by the stimulus package made out huge.

Obama did very little to get us out of the recession. It was business that got us out of it. The stimulus package is proof that the fed can spend trillions and have little to show for it.
Take that F-35 for example. LOL
How about taking NASA from being number 1 to needing a ride to get into space? Yeah he really does deserve the credit for that too.

Old 09-09-2018, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Obama? All by himself? Spent more than all Presidents that came before him combined. That 22 trillion debt is an amazing number.
So 540 million to Solyndra, how did that help to get us out of a recession?
Cash for clunkers?
I will admit, the company making those signs, paid for by the stimulus package made out huge.

Obama did very little to get us out of the recession. It was business that got us out of it. The stimulus package is proof that the fed can spend trillions and have little to show for it.
Take that F-35 for example. LOL
How about taking NASA from being number 1 to needing a ride to get into space? Yeah he really does deserve the credit for that too.
My point is that trump can’t brag about how he turned the economy around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies