Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2018, 06:06 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,413,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
A new study was published today:
Lethality of Civilian Active Shooter Incidents With and Without Semiautomatic Rifles in the United States

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2702134

It shows that in the United States, shootings that involved a semiautomatic rifle resulted in nearly twice as many deaths compared with shootings carried out with only regular handguns, shotguns or rifles. I don't see mention of semiautomatic handguns in the study.

Thoughts? Should semi-automatic firearms be regulated as tightly as fully automatic firearms?
This and a dime gets you a phone call.

Property rights are absolute.

The crime in an act is the act itself...nothing else matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 06:07 PM

78,647 posts, read 60,839,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
It sounds dumb if you don't understand what the word "lethality" means and how its used. Which clearly you don't. Unsurprisingly.

You shoot someone with a handgun, statistically they have a 25% chance of dying.

You shoot someone with a shotgun, statistically they have a 75% chance of dying.

While both guns can kill you. One is more likely to kill you if used.

That's what lethality means. A measure of how lethal an object is when used for killing.

...now run along.
FYI- The study mentions that the death % was essentially the same for both the rifles and handguns.

Old 09-11-2018, 06:24 PM

29,611 posts, read 14,753,693 times
Quote:
Why is it a meaningless term when some guns are clearly more lethal then others?
Explain this please ? I can understand one firearm having a higher rate of fire then another, but it still takes an ******* to decide to kill another human with it, and actually succeed in hitting the intended target.

Old 09-11-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
In my opinion it is not so much the semi-automatic style weapons, though I would love to see them stamped out. It's the high cartridge clips that make these weapons so deadly. This comes to me from a police friend who, needless to say, is an expert on guns and weapons. It's imperative to address the high cartridge clips.

Here in the great Pacific Northwest, we stand poised to enact some pretty strict gun safety, including the regulation of assault weapons. A local judge threw it out, but the state supreme court put it back on the ballot. Based on recent voting patterns in the state, it is probable to pass.

With court fight over, gun control measure goes around Legislature to voters | The Spokesman-Review
Did you post this in sarcasm ? WTF is a "high cartridge clip" ? That is a new one to me...SMH

Old 09-11-2018, 06:31 PM

20,803 posts, read 8,636,551 times
I don't shoot but it's my understanding rifles are more accurate than handguns which is why if someone points a handgun at you, you should run like hell because the odds are you will not get fatally shot.

Semi-automatic means for each squeeze of the trigger, one bullet is shot. Automatic = machine guns, which are banned. So basically every gun and rifle is semi-automatic. Correct me if I'm wrong so we can all learn.

Old 09-11-2018, 06:39 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,246,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Explain this please ? I can understand one firearm having a higher rate of fire then another, but it still takes an ******* to decide to kill another human with it, and actually succeed in hitting the intended target.
The mortality rate (survival rate) is different for people shot with different types of guns. People shot with shotguns have a 75% mortality rate, while people shot with handguns have a 25% mortality rate. Hence the lethality of various weapons is different. While yes, both types of weapons can kill you, one is more likely to kill if successfully used. There are other metrics aside from bullet wounds that can assess the lethality of a gun, but you get my point.

Old 09-11-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
The mortality rate (survival rate) is different for people shot with different types of guns. People shot with shotguns have a 75% mortality rate, while people shot with handguns have a 25% mortality rate. Hence the lethality of various weapons is different. While yes, both types of weapons can kill you, one is more likely to kill if successfully used. There are other metrics aside from bullet wounds that can assess the lethality of a gun, but you get my point.
And without an ******* on the other side of the gun, willing to pull the trigger you're left with a paper weight. There are no absolutes in firearms.

Old 09-11-2018, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
FYI- The study mentions that the death % was essentially the same for both the rifles and handguns.
I believe KF is choosing to ignore this.

Old 09-11-2018, 06:50 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,603,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I don't shoot but it's my understanding rifles are more accurate than handguns which is why if someone points a handgun at you, you should run like hell because the odds are you will not get fatally shot.

Semi-automatic means for each squeeze of the trigger, one bullet is shot. Automatic = machine guns, which are banned. So basically every gun and rifle is semi-automatic. Correct me if I'm wrong so we can all learn.
Rifles are more accurate at longer range. Within the room distance, the difference is meaningless.

Rifles are easier to shoot more accurately than pistols.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:32 PM

172 posts, read 108,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
You just said that it's "pretty easy" then you explained that it's cheaper than the price of a new car... not many people have the disposable cash laying around to legally purchase a full auto AK which would land firmly in the $15K - $20K range for a single rifle. It takes about "10 minutes" to fill out the form and then you wait 6 months for the tax stamp to come back assuming that you pass the extensive background check, finger print search and assuming you can find someone who'll sell you a legal to transfer full auto rifle built before 1986. You're clueless.
Judging by your reply you have clearly never filed a Form 4.

Please elaborate your post on the "extensive back ground check" a Form 4 approval takes less than 30 minutes when the form comes across the examiners desk to an approved form with an affixed stamp. Any Class III dealer will sell a full auto to any individual depending on the state. Now transferring it (which is never mentioned in your post) is another issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies