Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 01:06 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,500,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
1.) If volume of fire doesn't contribute to greater lethality then you have no use for a semi-autos, or mags over 10 rounds. Begs the question why waste the time and money on buying an AR-15 when a trusty old bolt action rifle is just as deadly.
It's my money, it's my time, it's my right which is protected by the constitution to keep and bear arms as I see fit. I don't have to justify anything to you or anyone else. It's my money, if I want a brand new belt fed MG42 or M60 I should be able to walk in, fill out my 4473, pay for the weapon, and be on my way. If I want to convert cash into spent links and brass, and spent barrels, it is my right to do so.
Besides, ARs are cheaper and easier to accurize than bolt actions.

Lethality is not solely inherent to the firearm, but the end user. End user dictates lethality.

Are you a fan of mathematics? Calculate the energy delivered via your bolt action hunting rifles and 12 gauge and 20 gauge even, shotguns especially shot guns at close range.

And if you want to go one further, then you should have no problem with 3D printed plastic firearms.

Oh and your premise that round limits are some how "safer" was proven false with the Maryland gazette shooter when an employee tweets out, the most terrifying sound is hearing the gunman reload. Democrats all said gunmen would fumble reloads and give victims a chance to flee or chance to subdue the shooter. That was proven to be a lie.

Quote:
2.) It doesn't matter if full auto's are wildly inaccurate. The volume of bullets it spreads over the beaten zone is what makes it so deadly. The deadliest shooter in American history, the Vegas shooter. Didn't aim a single shot, he fired from distance into a beaten zone the size of a football field packed shoulder to shoulder with people. With this method he was able to strike 480 people out of the 1100 rounds he fired. You increase the rate of fire the death toll would have increased. Accuracy in this situation was only of importance in terms of keeping the beaten zone on the crowd. Had he used a bolt action rifle (instead of AR-15's) he wouldn't have even come close to striking 480 people in a 10 minute span.
Had there been sufficient security in the hotel, which is why the hotel launched a lawsuit against the victims, he wouldn't have been able to engage said crowd for as long as he did. Ideally the moment shots were fired, hed have been engaged. Then again, the hotel is not responsible for his actions.
Depending on what bolt action he used, say a 30-06 he'd have been able to make multiple kill shots per each round fired. For a full powered rifle cartridge carries more kinetic energy than the .223/5.56 used via AR.

Go ahead and Google the energy for multiple rifle calibers delivered at the range he fired into. Compare it to the carbines he used with either .223/5.56 then compare the energy delivered at that range via a full powered bolt action hunting rifle. Would he have been able to get 480 hits? Not likely. 58 kills? 30-06 even 308 yeah depending on his ability to reload. The death count would have been significantly higher with a full powered cartridge for the round carries with it enough energy at that distance to go through multiple bodies.

Quote:
3.) Suppression fire works because the people being shot at know that a greater volume of fire being thrown at them means they have a higher likelihood of being struck. Hence they hunker down and don't move.

More bullets being fired = higher probability of people being hit. Hence greater lethality.
Hunker down behind cover depending on the round used = smart. You don't stand up in a rifle fight. Rule 1 day 1 at a fighting carbine class.

Running out of range while zigzaging hunched down to make yourself appear to be as small a target as possible, to cover, reduces the risk of being hit. Make yourself as difficult to hit as possible and chances are reduced. Fighting carbine courses will train you on this on day 2 or 3. Hunker down like at that event was foolish. Don't follow the crowd. Get out of there.

Suppressive fire works for fire team engagements. 1 or 2 lay suppressive fire. 2-4 advance to flank. Look up a fighting rifle/pistol/carbine class and attend one that features simunition rounds. 9mm is comparable to a paintball/bee sting. .223 hurts.

Again Vegas was 1 freak occurrence.
Look at schools, look at the Pulse night club.
There was not an armed deterrence there to fight back. As always, when seconds matter, help is but minutes away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies