Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 10:30 AM

18,741 posts, read 7,617,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
You are yet another fool who believes that his - and only his - interpretation of the constitution is the one and only correct one.
TRANSLATION: I can't refute what you said, but I hate it anyway. So I'll call you names and try to change what you said in hopes I can get somebody to believe me somehow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 10:35 AM

20,871 posts, read 9,546,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
TRANSLATION: I can't refute what you said, but I hate it anyway. So I'll call you names and try to change what you said in hopes I can get somebody to believe me somehow.
TRANSLATION: You cannot argue the fact that you are interpreting the constitution, just like everybody else, you have to reply by engaging in an ad hominem attack.

Old 09-14-2018, 12:00 PM

13,966 posts, read 5,630,295 times
Quote:
what you described as being required for a CCW in Ohio, sounds similar to what I had in mind to own a gun at all.
OK, then if that is the case, all but three of the mass shooters of the last 20 years would have been able to obtain their "license" same as I did, thus purchase their weapons legally, just as I have.

If you've never committed a crime, nor been adjudicated to be mentally unfit or recommended for commitment to an institution, then you're going to pass every background check there is. They check for instances of you having done something, and minus a select few, none of the mass shooters had done anything wrong prior to their mass shooting, at least nothing wrong enough to be entered into The System. Someone may be a total degenerate at home, have a secret basement lab where they torture animals and make snuff flicks, whatever, but unless they get caught and entered into The System, they have the same background as an Eagle Scout valedictorian. Look at how many serial killers have hid in plain sight. There's no stopping it, outside the realm of science fiction anyway.

Like the process that licenses people to drive cars. If they've never had a DUI, the system doesn't know. They may be "half gallon a day" severe alcoholics, but if they've never been jailed or institutionalized for it....well, here's your license, now go have fun in your 3,000 pound death machine!!

So what do you suggest as a better net that can catch would be bad guys under some Minority Report method of preventing FutureCrime, because licensing exactly like my CCW wouldn't have made any difference to the folks buying weapons for their mass shootings.

Old 09-14-2018, 12:04 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,546,294 times
As I said yesterday, nobody's claiming that some law will be able to catch everybody who might break the law. If it only catches some, that's a good starting point.
Quote:
Just because a law might not capture every potential criminal does not mean the law should not be implemented. A law is a starting point. Speed limits don't capture every speeder (in fact, they only capture a small % of them), so does that mean we shouldn't bother with speed limits? Hardly.
Anyway, if or when I do my other thread I talked about, we can discuss issues like that in detail.

Old 09-14-2018, 12:08 PM

13,966 posts, read 5,630,295 times
Quote:
As I said yesterday, nobody's claiming that some law will be able to catch everybody who might break the law. If it only catches some, that's a good starting point.

Anyway, if or when I do my other thread I talked about, we can discuss issues like that in detail.
My question is the "what now" set of laws. Fine, you throw up the Ohio CCW certification process as the new, standardized national licensing process to even be able to purchase a firearm. A month later, another mass shooting occurs. NOW WHAT?

We did the right thing. We started somewhere, we implemented a universal this, national that, scrutinize something else policy. We made it national. We sent Volobjectitarian and the other data science/BI badasses into the federal background check DB to clean it up, make it right, etc. We trained all FFL dealers and agencies on proper data management practices. We realy locked itall down.

And another mass shooting occurs. NOW WHAT?

Old 09-14-2018, 12:11 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
The only guns not considered semi-auto, take an action before the next cartridge is loaded to be fired.
Those are Bolt-Action, Lever-Action, Dual-Action and Single Shot Breech. All other type of small arms, are single action, with fully & semi-auto action, of various designs.
The Supreme Court has ruled in the past, that the privilege of citizen 21 years of age who are non-felons and mentally stable, may keep but never bear, the small arms the government decides are acceptable to the citizens use for sporting only. This may be altered when emotions run high, or the government is threatened.
The original text no longer exist, by legislative laws written.

Old 09-14-2018, 12:17 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,930,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
A new study was published today:
Lethality of Civilian Active Shooter Incidents With and Without Semiautomatic Rifles in the United States

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2702134

It shows that in the United States, shootings that involved a semiautomatic rifle resulted in nearly twice as many deaths compared with shootings carried out with only regular handguns, shotguns or rifles. I don't see mention of semiautomatic handguns in the study.

Thoughts? Should semi-automatic firearms be regulated as tightly as fully automatic firearms?
The gun rights folks would look at it another way way; only twice? They would prefer weapons systems 3 or 4 times as lethal if they could get them. Because we'll all be safer, right? Take their word for it.

Old 09-14-2018, 12:28 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,122,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
The gun rights folks would look at it another way way; only twice? They would prefer weapons systems 3 or 4 times as lethal if they could get them. Because we'll all be safer, right? Take their word for it.
Strawman much?

You can't debate actual points ... you assign some assinine points to your fictitious opponents so you can argue the made up point...

Old 09-14-2018, 12:30 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,402,729 times
I hate that you have to be a subscriber to view the full text on these reports.

Old 09-14-2018, 01:41 PM

9,518 posts, read 4,346,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
I doubt anyone needed a study to tell them that. But the 2nd Amendment folks will tell us it's too bad, we have to live with it, because the founding fathers were more concerned about the rights of unhinged people wielding weapons of mass destruction (that they didn't know were coming) than the rights of their victims. Because guns are more important than people.

Oh, they'll couch it in different words, but that's basically what it comes down to.

You apparently don't know what a "weapon of mass destruction" is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies