Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 09:50 AM

6,346 posts, read 2,901,596 times

Advertisements

A new study was published today:
Lethality of Civilian Active Shooter Incidents With and Without Semiautomatic Rifles in the United States

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2702134

It shows that in the United States, shootings that involved a semiautomatic rifle resulted in nearly twice as many deaths compared with shootings carried out with only regular handguns, shotguns or rifles. I don't see mention of semiautomatic handguns in the study.

Thoughts? Should semi-automatic firearms be regulated as tightly as fully automatic firearms?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 09:52 AM

20,871 posts, read 9,546,294 times
But don't you know? All that means is that EVERYBODY should carry around a semiautomatic rifle with them ALL THE TIME!

Old 09-11-2018, 09:54 AM

29,503 posts, read 14,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Lethality of Civilian Active Shooter Incidents With and Without Semiautomatic Rifles in the United States

It shows that in the United States, shootings that involved a semiautomatic rifle resulted in nearly twice as many deaths compared with shootings carried out with only regular handguns, shotguns or rifles. I don't see mention of semiautomatic handguns in the study.

Thoughts? Should semi-automatic firearms be regulated as tightly as fully automatic firearms?

That would be a nope. Looks to me like (at least for 2016) more people died from knives than rifles.
https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...ables/table-12

Old 09-11-2018, 09:55 AM

46,302 posts, read 27,117,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
But don't you know? All that means is that EVERYBODY should carry around a semiautomatic rifle with them ALL THE TIME!

Only in the anti gun nuts world....

Old 09-11-2018, 09:59 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,080,699 times
I doubt anyone needed a study to tell them that. But the 2nd Amendment folks will tell us it's too bad, we have to live with it, because the founding fathers were more concerned about the rights of unhinged people wielding weapons of mass destruction (that they didn't know were coming) than the rights of their victims. Because guns are more important than people.

Oh, they'll couch it in different words, but that's basically what it comes down to.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:59 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,980,917 times
Quote:

So you are essentially for a ban of semi-auto?

Old 09-11-2018, 10:02 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,367,910 times
No, my AR 15 is leaning up against the wall at bed side. I see no reason to ban my rifle because these nut cases decided to kill a bunch of people. Do you?

Old 09-11-2018, 10:03 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,608,522 times
Quote:

Even full autos are not THAT tightly regulated.

the AK 47, full auto is STILL the most mass produced, most widely used, most copied assault weapon on the entire planet!!

Old 09-11-2018, 10:04 AM

23,626 posts, read 12,553,459 times
More people died at the hands of one lone man with a truck (Nice, France) than by one lone man with a gun (LV).

#banvehicles

Old 09-11-2018, 10:04 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,245,671 times
Did they take into account that there are different types of semi auto rifles, those with detachable magazines and those without?

What is this study trying to prove? that semi auto rifles should be banned or regulated ?

When will it end?

If I had to be shot at close range such as we often see in an active shooter scenario I'd rather be shot with a single bullet from an AR15 than a single shot from a 12 gauge shotgun. The .223 bullet would probably pass through me whereas the 12 gauge would make a ragged hole. It's better not to be shot at all of course.

I think they should do a follow up study about knives where they determine if a steak knife will do more damage than a butter knife..
And then do a study on a 2x4 with and with out nails sticking out and let us know which will do more damage if some deranged idiot bent on hurting us should attack.

The point is evil will find a way to kill even if all guns are banned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies