Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2018, 04:16 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,500,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
When in American history has the government been "tyrannical"? 230 years and counting and one has yet to show up. Something that hasn't happened in 230 years or may never happen at all is far less concerning then acts of grotesque violence that occur on a monthly basis.
Jim crow laws.
Mass genocide of native population.
NFA of 1934...
Waco Texas...

Quote:
You actually think a bunch of soft and fat Americans with AR-15's will halt government mischief? You and all the rest of the ilk on here have far to much to lose to ever be that foolish.
since when is being 5'11 182lbs considered soft and fat?

Quote:
As stated before, find one example of a group of "armed citizens" successfully taking on a professional military in the last 100 years and I just might take your point seriously. If you ever wanted to take on government mischief you better partner up with a Russia or a China, because on your own you stand ZERO chance.
Bundy ranch stand off

Quote:
And who decides what is a "natural right" ? Some of those revolutionaries you are so found of thought it was their "natural right" to own black people, others thought it was their "natural right" to wipe out a native American village.
LOL didn't you just start your thesis that the government in 230 years never did anything tyrannical?!
ROFL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 04:29 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,090,317 times
Quote:
As stated before, find one example of a group of "armed citizens" successfully taking on a professional military in the last 100 years and I just might take your point seriously.
Afghanistan. 17 years and counting. And before that 9 years against the professional Soviet forces.

Old 09-13-2018, 04:30 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,242,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Jim crow laws.
Mass genocide of native population.
NFA of 1934...
Waco Texas...
And where were you noble patriotic gun owners during these events? That's right, nowhere to be found. So much for protecting peoples civil liberties against tyranny.

Old 09-13-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
And where were you noble patriotic gun owners during these events? That's right, nowhere to be found. So much for protecting peoples civil liberties against tyranny.
I was born in 87. 1987. I didn't exist then now did I?
Where were you?

Old 09-13-2018, 04:36 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,050,894 times
My left-wing hunting buddy shoots a semi-automatic shotgun.

I being conservative shoot only a double. For years, I have teased him about shooting a semi-automatic and that his political friends will come after his guns.

I am really looking forward to next week....where I can point out to him to he is losing his rights due to his political friends.

Of course, when they are done with him.....it will be my double. Oh well, I started hunting with a single shot so it might be appropriate to finish my life hunting with another single shot.

Old 09-13-2018, 04:36 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,546,294 times
Quote:
I know what you're trying to do, I'm tugging at your feels a little longer

Driving isn't a Constitutionally protected right. It is a privilege to those who can afford it.
-- The right to travel/freedom of movement is a constitutionally protected right. A car is merely a certain kind of tool in which to exercise this right - one can also travel via bus, train, plane, walking, etc. The right is protected, operation of the tool is a privilege which requires a license. We require a license for operating a car, we do not require one for walking.

-- The right to bear arms is a constitutionally protected right. Any given kind of gun is merely a certain kind of tool in which to exercise this right - one can exercise this right via owning a shotgun, handgun, hunting rifles, etc. Even certain kinds of knives are increasingly considered to be "arms" (source) (source). The right is protected, operation of the tool is a privilege which should require a license. We can require a license for operating a gun, we do not need to require one for a knife.

Old 09-13-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
-- The right to travel/freedom of movement is a constitutionally protected right. A car is merely a certain kind of tool in which to exercise this right - one can also travel via bus, train, plane, walking, etc. The right is protected, operation of the tool is a privilege which requires a license.

-- The right to bear arms is a constitutionally protected right. Any given kind of gun is merely a certain kind of tool in which to exercise this right - one can exercise this right via owning a shotgun, handgun, hunting rifles, etc. Even certain kinds of knives are increasingly considered to be "arms" (source) (source). The right is protected, operation of the tool is a privilege which should require a license.
where does it state in the second amendment that the right to keep and bear arms shall require a permission slip from the government?
Can you point it out to us all?

Here's the text.
Quote:
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

LOL where does it state there shall be a tax, a license, or a permit?

Old 09-13-2018, 04:41 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,242,289 times
Quote:
I was born in 87. 1987. I didn't exist then now did I?
Where were you?
Funny how the most success campaign against tyranny in the US in the last 100 years came about from unarmed people peacefully marching. Not a bunch of morons running around with guns. Take note.

Old 09-13-2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:
where does it state in the second amendment that the right to keep and bear arms shall require a permission slip from the government?
Where does it say that requiring such a thing would be a violation of such a right? You are not banning people from owning arms, you are simply restricting the kinds of arms they can own, not unlike the current restrictions on owning bazookas, tanks, etc.

Old 09-13-2018, 04:46 PM

And for future reference, note the passages I added when I edited my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
-- The right to travel/freedom of movement is a constitutionally protected right. A car is merely a certain kind of tool in which to exercise this right - one can also travel via bus, train, plane, walking, etc. The right is protected, operation of the tool is a privilege which requires a license. We require a license for operating a car, we do not require one for walking.

-- The right to bear arms is a constitutionally protected right. Any given kind of gun is merely a certain kind of tool in which to exercise this right - one can exercise this right via owning a shotgun, handgun, hunting rifles, etc. Even certain kinds of knives are increasingly considered to be "arms" (source) (source). The right is protected, operation of the tool is a privilege which should require a license. We can require a license for operating a gun, we do not need to require one for a knife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies