Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 03:00 AM

16 posts, read 47,824 times

Advertisements

A lot of people say their not afraid of black people, but most people are cause like Obama said theres racism still and white people always move away when their are to many black people in their hood. Just today some white guy wuz lookin at me like is you lost or somethin so i just look right back at him and he looked away first so I showed him.

Old 04-03-2008, 04:20 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,167,229 times
Yes, I get a little nervous around young black guys in a group that look like gang bangers. Call it a stereotype or just the crime statistics. I avoid going to places where I could have encounters like this. Also, if confronted with this situation don't present yourself like a potential victim; they will sense this and possibly take advantage of it.

Old 04-03-2008, 04:49 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
Oh my goodness; what on earth is "a regular black"!!! Seriously...what is that?!?!?!

I am sorry, but just because you married interracially does not mean you're exempt from racism. I am half-Jamaican and I am [personally] super offended by what you said...

Let me explain; "West Indian" is a cultural subset; not an ethnicity. You can be German...and still be "West Indian". So it really "cheapens" the fact of being of African-decent when such terms are conferred to "grant" special status. It's like saying, "Oh my wife is a Northern Black....not a Southern one". Bottom line is; it really doesn't matter.

Of course each culture should be enjoyed and fully celebrated and the diversity among them acknowledged. But Black people are Black people -- no matter where we are born. Not by our choice...but by choice of the prevailing European-centric standards that are out there.
I didn't mean anything bad by "a regular black". I just mean a black person that was born in the USA and thus speaks American English and is part of American culture.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:41 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,278,915 times
No, not in the least. The only people with whom I'm not comfortable around are those that display bizarre behavior and that has nothing to do with skin color.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:14 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Don't you feel that you could be shot for having on the wrong colour shirt or the wrong ballcap on?
I live in Virginia, not Compton.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:24 AM

409 posts, read 1,505,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABrutha View Post
A lot of people say their not afraid of black people, but most people are cause like Obama said theres racism still and white people always move away when their are to many black people in their hood. Just today some white guy wuz lookin at me like is you lost or somethin so i just look right back at him and he looked away first so I showed him.
I don't thing that is entirely true. How do integrated neighborhoods form vs. segregated ones? Who really knows the answer but it isn't always "white people". Blacks tend to band together as much as white people, when it happens. One misconception that I feel black people have is that white people are afraid of them in general and/or are all racists unless they prove otherwise. When a neighborhood becomes integrated, I think it is because all the neighbors have similar objectives. For example, if an upper class neighborhood is integrated its probably because all the neighbors have one goal, work and make more money, but that fancy car, maintain that expensive home and your neighbor's race probably isn't an issue. Neighborhoods become segregated only when crime starts becoming an issue and when people don't feel safe and then people move away.

I would be a fool to think that ALL young black males are trouble makers or gang bangers. But, I do think that many young black males could be very successful, productive members of society and they don't want to or don't know how to. They would rather stick to their macho thug culture than do something with themselves. Its really too bad.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:27 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,614,204 times
I'm more comfortable around Blacks than whites actually due to bad experiences. However, I despies macho men in general.

Black men do go out of their way to act hard and give off an intimidating vibe however. Maybe it a surivial mechanism from bad hoods or some kind of Philly thing I don't know.

As far as looking racist is concerned, if I'm uncomfortable, I'm going to leave/confront it irregardless of the color of the person involved. Looking out for other people's feelings is not my job.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:09 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Should I ?

I tend to feel nervous around people of any race who look a bit dodgy , or potentially dangerous. Some are black, most are not.
What worries me most is "gangs" of kids hanging around , looking tough. I don't think colour hs anything to do.

I think you often get a "vibe" about certain people.

Here in the UK I hate all the drunks in the streets. Some get very abusive and their combined IQs and social awareness being so low, I find it scary. Like animals you can never predict their behaviour.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:14 AM

652 posts, read 2,664,113 times
I used to be worried not "afraid". Only because of where I lived and simply the black areas had more violence and crime than the white ones. We also had major racism issues in the school I had previously attended. Then I came across a situation that totally changed me. I was at a bar with a girlfriend 3 white guys started harrasing us when we were walking to the car.
The funny thing was we had our eyes on the gang of black guys acrossed the street. anyway... that "gang" that we were worried about might have saved us from an extremely bad situation. That was a real eye opening experience. They were dressed like thugs acted like thugs but in the end very good people.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:33 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,336,177 times
Nope. I don't see other indiviuals as a threat most of the time.

I've lived in NYC, Houston, and the DC area (to include many transitional neighborhoods). And I worked one of the worst neighborhoods in the US as an Army Recruiter (both in uniform and in civilian clothes).

The only time I ever see a threat is when I see groups (5 or more) of teens (literally 13-19) standing around or walking around with nothing to do. Color or income levels have nothing to do with it. Groups of people with nothing to do are often dangerous, moreso when they are teenagers. It isn't just personal harm either -- think stupid stunts, property damage, dares, etc.

"Scared" or "afraid" are poor choices of words here also. There's either a threat or no threat. IF you think like that, you'll see the world in a different light.

It may also help to have a plan to kill everyone you meet - as the old joke goes. (OK I don't mean that literally in case any of you are wondering. It just illustrates an attitude.)

Edit: It doesn't matter, but in fairness, my family is mixed, i'm in a bi-racial marriage, and i'm a big ugly joker. So sometimes I think people lock their doors when I walk by. My wife says they do. I just smile and wave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies