Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 11:46 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
You are missing the point.

I don't think most manufacturing jobs are coming back. The problem with trade deficit is that creating a dominating consumer products manufacturing giant is dangerous. The question should NEVER be asked is this, "Without China, what should we do?"

Eventually, free trade will take care of everything. But let's not kid ourselves, we do not have free trade, we have MANAGED trade. In managed trades, terms and conditions are extremely important.
I was responding to someone who felt manufacturing jobs would come to the US.

I agree that diversification of our purchasing is always good. Just like diversification in our sources of power and energy. I would imagine that most large companies have back-up sources for their goods at all times.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 11:53 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,501,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
So if the point is to bring back jobs to the US, and unemployment is super low..... who will staff those jobs?

Would you increase immigration?
I don't fully believe the unemployment rates. Rates mean literally nothing to me.
Whether good or bad.

It isn't just the quantity of jobs, but quality of jobs.

You look at my area, there are JOBS galore. Nothing that pays. All remedial crap. Minimum wage to 10-12 bucks per hour.
I bet a production worker makes more than a gas station clerk, shelve stocker, burger flipper.

I'm not increasing immigration.
I'm decreasing JOBS for Careers.

Example.

I go up to Illinois. I want to open a business to manufacture Studebaker cars.
I'll post online, on billboards, PAID education/training I have a factory going up this coming fall. Minimum hourly rate I am going to pay is 13.50 per hour to start. That's coming in with 0 experience.
I'll hire experienced workers to help train. Pay them at a higher rate for they will be guiding apprentices.

You prove to me your an American Citizen.
Sign on.
You show the will to learn, you ensure quality work, you take pride in your work, you'll get a raise in 6 months. The more productive and proficient you are the more you learn, the more you would make. Any certification or licensing needed? I'll pay for it. Overtime? Not time and a half. Double time.
Vacations? 1 week for 1 year worked. Don't take it? I'll buy it back for 3x what your pay is at a 40hr week.

Why work at Walmart why work at a grocery store or a burger joint for minimum wage when you can come learn something and get paid more?

I'd rather not have a sky high markup for a profit margin.
I'd rather make my money in volume.
Take care of my employees
Topple left leaning governments to reduce taxes and lower the cost of everyone's living. So I don't make Billions per year. I make enough to make sure my employees are bringing home a sustainable wage. I bring in enough to reinvest in the company to provide more paying careers rather than jobs.

It's what I do currently. My competitors charge 1.5-2x what I charge.
They pay their employees 1/2 to a 1/3rd less than what I pay mine.
Yeah the owners have a mcmansion the boat the cars etc
Me? I'm happy and content with my little by comparison house. Less electric to run the AC for a smaller house. I'm greedy to an extent but I have been in the basement to know the struggles at the basement level. I'll take care of my guys before I go jacking prices through the roof and cutting their hours to have more part time employees like Walmart and other corporations do, or cut back wages.

All of those remedial jobs can be filled by highschoolers, moonlighters, etc.
I want to see everyone be successful and able to sustain themselves without relying on .gov to provide it for them.

Make sense?

Old 09-20-2018, 11:56 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
I don't think bringing back manufacturing jobs is going to the be a career track.

As always, wait and see. It's interesting if nothing else.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-20-2018, 12:01 PM

25,573 posts, read 56,497,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
How much you want to bet on those jobs lost at the car dealerships are mechanics fed up with ever decreasing SLTS labor OP times for warranty and recall repairs.
Huh? So, you're saying the new tariffs will cause even more mechanics to walk off the job because they'll be so employable elsewhere repairing older cars because new cars won't be sold?

How does that relate to almost 900,000 jobs LOST in the automobile industry because of the tariffs?

And how is selling 2,000,000 fewer cars a year a good thing for the US?

Last edited by Ariadne22; 09-20-2018 at 12:13 PM..

Old 09-20-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I don't think bringing back manufacturing jobs is going to the be a career track.
How?

You have the temporary employment for construction of a production facility.
Wealth is spread.

You have the manufacturing plant that will need full time employment.
Wealth is spread.

You aren't paying tariffs on products being imported.
Wealth is kept within the country not going to a sweatshop.

You have folks being educated in a skilled profession. For free.
Their cost of living burden just decreased dramatically by not going to college.

In my example of Studebaker. I would need engineers. I would need tool and die makers. I would need steel. Aluminum. Alloys. Plastics. The works.
I would need production line workers. A refinery and metalurgists.

I would need franchises and support staff the sales men the finance departments the mechanics.

I would need advertisers.
I would need commercials and website developers, graphic artists the works.
Spreading the wealth.

How is manufacturing domestically not a career track?
There are multiple industries that come with manufacturing to support said manufacturing.

I only luck out because in my industry, almost everything I need is produced locally.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Huh? So, you're saying the new tariffs will cause even more mechanics to walk off the job because they'll be so employable elsewhere repairing older cars because new cars won't be sold?

How does that relate to over 1,000,000 jobs LOST in the automobile industry because of the tariffs?

Ford rolls back labor ops for warranty repairs all of the time to preserve their profit margins. Jobs that are very labor intensive do not compensate nearly what they did back when I started in 07/08.

Their corporatist pay scheme is a big deterrence and their biggest problem.
There are very few dealerships that I know of in the north east that pay their mechanics hourly. Marcotte Ford in Holyoke MA is one. The rest, pure flat rate.

I'm not saying new tariffs anything. You are.

I'm saying their BS pay scheme to save a buck is the result of 1000s of mechanics walking from dealerships.
Add in the older guys retiring.

You're trying to conflate tariffs with why mechanics are leaving dealerships.
I'm telling you we leave dealerships for different reasons, that reason is their flawed warranty and recall labor times.

Pity a teacher that has to buy stuff for class?
Pity a mechanic who's dropping 100k in tools their first 5 years to support a career that does not compensate them properly.

Book says job pays X.X hours. But it took you longer due to rust and corrosion? You ate it. Not the shop. Not the manufacturer. The shop is too worried getting audited to submit M-Time claims. Shop gets 98 per hour from Ford to do warranty work.
Mechanic makes 25-35 per hour flat rate.
Job x pays say 4 hours. Mechanic does it in 4 hours he broke even at 100-140 dollars.
Gets the same job but on a rust bucket.
Takes him 8 or 9 hours. Just lost money. He's still getting 100-140 for that 4 hours.
Snap on comes Monday to collect for tool payments.
Matco comes Tuesday to collect for tool payments.
MAC comes Wednesday to collect tool payments.
They don't care if you had a slow week. A bad week.
Gets better. Fords bean counters and desk pilots see mechanics in California Arizona Nevada new Mexico in dry arid rust free weather free environments doing the jobs in 2.5 3.5 they revise that labor time and make it pay now 3.6
Guy's in the rust belt/north east? They just got shafted.

What? You think mechanics are paid to be in the building 40 hour salary? And their tools are supplied by the dealership?
Go home because it's a slow day. You can lose your health insurance for not being in the building for 40 hours. Or be fired. God forbid an oil change rolls in the door and you weren't there for a measly .4

That's why mechanics are leaving dealerships.

Look up Flat Rate.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:28 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post

How does that relate to almost 900,000 jobs LOST in the automobile industry because of the tariffs?

Accept of course, none of this has happened.

Get back to us when it does.

Old 09-20-2018, 01:04 PM

7,682 posts, read 5,533,957 times
I’m confused. Are the tariffs a negotiating tactic or are they viewed as being permanent? If they are a negotiating tactic then why would anyone invest in moving production TEMPORARILY to the U.S.? That’s a very risky move if tariffs are expected to be removed.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:57 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,495,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I’m confused. Are the tariffs a negotiating tactic or are they viewed as being permanent? If they are a negotiating tactic then why would anyone invest in moving production TEMPORARILY to the U.S.? That’s a very risky move if tariffs are expected to be removed.
Prices will go up as the tariffs go up. If, and when, they come down or are removed, prices may come down or may not -to increase the profits to the shareholders. The shareholders will buy yachts and bigger homes while the average person will take it up the rear and be told they're lucky to have a job!

Old 09-20-2018, 03:42 PM

32,114 posts, read 34,747,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Here's what Germany does.
You know what else Germany has? Unions. Very strong unions.

I don't get how many Trump supporters on here talk about German manufacturing this and German manufacturing that and then denounce labor unions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies