Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 08:52 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
leftists weeping for Walmart .. who'd've thunk it?

Nope.

Concerns that people have to pay higher prices............... for no good reason.

Hey, if you like paying higher prices for daily incidentals, and appliances, and homes.... you are welcome to overpay.

Me? I don't want to.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 08:59 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Looks like Trump's tariffs on Chinese goods will hit Walmart big time! Get ready to spend some of that tax cut on higher prices at Walmart. Just in time for Christmas! I guess those kiddies will have to do with less toys.

https://money.cnn.com/2018/09/19/new...ina/index.html

Thanks Bigly Donald! Making America Groan Again!
Considering the amount of time those on the left spend attacking Walmart-this should see big support among Dems. Well, unless they are hypocrites.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:04 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,501,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
We already have a spoiled, child-like, tyrant-in-training in charge and a lot of us will make sure he goes away ASAP. Since you seem to have so much anger over all those "gubmint regulations", we'll make sure your kids keep the water fountains with lead pipes in their schools and you can get those great asbestos brake pads for your car. After all, you wouldn't want to pay higher taxes or prices for things that work ...just fine! Breathe deep, Steve McQueen ...that Mesothelioma you have will be taken care of by Trump! Scott Pruitt and Betsy DeVos will see to it for sure! They're on your side!
Lead pipes? Lead is expensive.

Asbestos brakes? I'll take carbon ceramic pads on drilled and slotted rotors before semi metallic or asbestos.

Tyrant? Trump's a tyrant? Let me know when he starts rounding people up or wants to kill people. He isnt. He's far from a tyrant.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:06 PM

26,789 posts, read 22,567,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Summary, not filtered through the CNN owned rag, Money:
  • Walmart asks for special priviledges.
  • Trump said no.
Don't see the problem here. This is what we elected him to do.

He ran against crony capitalism, and this is him keeping that promise. Of course Walmart flourished under Obama.
Under Clintons.
Hillary was on the Walmart's board of directors, as I've recently learned.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:10 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,495,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Considering the amount of time those on the left spend attacking Walmart-this should see big support among Dems. Well, unless they are hypocrites.
Perhaps, but maybe some of the Trump acolytes will realize that they're paying a Trump Tax. Nah, they'll think they're just paying a "Trump Homage Fee" with the money going to "down-and-out billionaires" ...a worthy cause in their small minds!

Old 09-19-2018, 09:13 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Summary, not filtered through the CNN owned rag, Money:
  • Walmart asks for special priviledges.
  • Trump said no.
Don't see the problem here. This is what we elected him to do.

He ran against crony capitalism, and this is him keeping that promise. Of course Walmart flourished under Obama.
You would have to live under a rock not to believe that the biggest consumer of 'made in China' goods is the Walmart shopper......lol.

You can attack CNN and whoever -- but it is what it is.

The market for all that cheep Dollar Store/Walmart stuff -- is primarily those that cannot shop at that little local boutique that's darn cute.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:24 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
You would have to live under a rock not to believe that the biggest consumer of 'made in China' goods is the Walmart shopper......lol.

The market for all that cheep Dollar Store/Walmart stuff -- is primarily those that cannot shop at that little local boutique that's darn cute.
Oh! The Made-In-American stuff the working man can't afford?

I mean.... we should have a choice between the two right? If I want my hand made yoga gear I should have it. If someone needs to get some school clothes at Walmart for a reasonable price... they should have that opportunity too.

I would LOVE to know how many of these Trump supporters have a home, and family.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-19-2018, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post

and some of the cheep chit in the Dollar Stores ain't all that "cheap" ...if you know what you're buying.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:35 PM

TrumpTax! Coming to a Walmart near you! Get yours ....Trump Shoppers, before it's gone in 2020! Hurry, supplies of TrumpTax are term-limited!

Old 09-19-2018, 10:02 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,497,864 times
I drive very little these days, but my 2001 Buick w/only 75k miles (engine has only 15K miles, replaced by GM in 2008) is getting rusty. I really don't need a replacement - yet - but have been thinking about getting a newer used car primarily b/c of appearance - the rust which would require about $5k work, at least.

So, now, this article has me thinking of paying my local Buick dealer a visit and possibly trading in for a newer (not brand new) car before prices become unreasonable:

The ENTIRE article well worth a read - here are the high points:
Quote:
How much will prices rise?

......industry analysis outlined a scenario where a 25-percent tariff "would see the price of the typical vehicle sold in the United States rise by $4,400.

Prices of U.S.‐assembled vehicles will rise because of an increase in the cost of imported vehicle parts, adding $2,270 to the price.

For the typical imported vehicle, these tariffs raise consumer prices by $6,875 per vehicle.”

The study, “Consumer Impact of Potential U.S. Section 232 Tariffs and Quotas on Imported Automobiles & Automotive Parts,” also found that a 25-percent tariff would result in:
  • 2 million fewer new vehicles sold per year.
  • Total U.S. employment losses of nearly 714,700, and GDP losses of $59.2 billion.
  • A loss of 117,500 U.S. new-car dealership jobs, with the average franchised dealership losing seven jobs.
  • An increase in used car prices because of heightened demand and constricted supply.
  • Increases in the cost of vehicle maintenance and repair because of higher automotive parts prices, “so even holding onto an existing vehicle will become more expensive.”
https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...ng/1343860002/
And, for the know-it-alls on this thread, please don't start blathering nonsense until you've read the ENTIRE article. Such a pain to continually reinvent the wheel by putting forth a point already rebutted by fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies