Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2018, 11:13 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Baloney. I lived in various parts of the country and never so much as heard a foreign language being spoken in my life until a few years ago. Now I hear foreign languages almost constantly. At one time I had a neighbor family whose mother was from Germany and she always spoke English albeit with an accent but the two kids spoke perfect English and no German.
Your experiences are not universal.

I grew up in NYC and lived on the Lower East Side. I heard many different languages daily - Spanish, various Chinese dialects, Polish, Italian, Yiddish... when I was a kid.
As an adult in Brooklyn and then North Jersey it was Russian, Korean, Portuguese and others. I belonged to a church in North Jersey that shared its space with a Korean congregation - yes, their services were in Korean - and later, one that was mainly Taiwanese.

Now I live in the west and am happy to note that I hear Spanish, the aforementioned Ukrainian, some African languages and occasionally Native American including Navajo.

God Bless America!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 11:13 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
I still laugh at the idea that hearing a language other than English is "annoying" and anything other than English sounds like "babbling". Everyday life must be very hard for some people.....

Old 09-24-2018, 11:16 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Quote:
Yes, Hispanics are acting as unassimilating colonizers and invaders and liberals are treating them all as US citizens or better. It's suppose to be against the law to aid and abet someone breaking the law.

Everywhere I turn I see or hear a creepy looking Hispanic person, where just recently none were before.
Smh.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:17 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Your experiences are not universal.

I grew up in NYC and lived on the Lower East Side. I heard many different languages daily - Spanish, various Chinese dialects, Polish, Italian, Yiddish... when I was a kid.
As an adult in Brooklyn and then North Jersey it was Russian, Korean, Portuguese and others. I belonged to a church in North Jersey that shared its space with a Korean congregation - yes, their services were in Korean - and later, one that was mainly Taiwanese.

Now I live in the west and am happy to note that I hear Spanish, the aforementioned Ukrainian, some African languages and occasionally Native American including Navajo.

God Bless America!

Your experiences in NYC certainly aren't universal. Just because NYC was flooded with foreigners speaking a foreign language doesn't mean the rest of the country use to be. Nowadays you're liable to see and hear Spanish speakers and African language speakers everywhere.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
I'm going to tell you the same thing I've chatised Oldglory several times on the board - it is a private conversation between other people, and it is none of your darned business about what they talk about nor the language they speak among themselves if it doesn't involve you.
If you are making unpleasant and incoherent racket and clamor in public, and you probably shouldn't even be here to begin with, then it does involve me. What I have to see or hear in my country in my neighborhood is my concern.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Your experiences in NYC certainly aren't universal. Just because NYC was flooded with foreigners speaking a foreign language doesn't mean the rest of the country use to be. Nowadays you're liable to see and hear Spanish speakers and African language speakers everywhere.
And most people aren't as upset by this as you are.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:26 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
If they were native born in this country then all the more reason to use English as their primary one of usage. They aren't immigrants! What does our early history have to do with anything? English was still adopted as our national de facto language, not Spanish.
Do you not hold on to any thread of your heritage?

No acknowledging St. Patrick's Day or celebrating Oktoberfest or any other such from the "old" country?

Did you know that there is a Swedish festival in Minnesota every year?
Should that be discontinued?

How about some of these others?

"Luckily, it's easy to piggyback on other cultures in the Upper Midwest. Yes, many of us came from Germany, Ireland and Norway.

But we also came from Greece, Ghana, Switzerland, Iceland, Scotland, Ukraine — and there are festivals honoring those cultures and those of the Dakota, Ojibwe, Cree and Ho-Chunk, who already were here when the immigrants arrived."

https://midwestweekends.com/plan_a_t...festivals.html

There was a time when Native American children were beaten for speaking the languages of their ancestors.
As a result, many of those languages may be lost forever.
Is that a good thing?

Are people so English-centric that they would advocate for the extinction of ancient languages just so that they don't feel uncomfortable in public?

Really?

Such insecurity makes me sad.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:27 AM

Racket and clamor! LOL.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:28 AM

4,798 posts, read 2,801,052 times
Default What's the buzz?

Quote:
So tell that to the non-English speakers pouring in from latin America many of them who could use a cognitive boosts from their median IQ of 89. You'll probably have to tell them in Spanish .
That's interesting. Where does that median IQ come from? Do you have a source for that?

Old 09-24-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
I still laugh at the idea that hearing a language other than English is "annoying" and anything other than English sounds like "babbling". Everyday life must be very hard for some people.....
Have you heard the way some foreigners speak, the cadence, dialect and volume? it's worse than a listening to a barking dog. I could probably tolerate or even respect if not admire it if I were in say Mexico. But the fact it just shows up everywhere uninvited and likely unauthorized in my neighborhood changes everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies