Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2018, 02:40 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,866,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Two parent families overall are better.
Actually, nowadays it is suggested that children are better off with divorced parents, than parents who are married but in an unhappy/dysfunctional/abusive relationship.

Two parent families are only overall better when they're adequately happy.

Old 09-24-2018, 03:09 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Bull. Both my parents grew up in the early fifties and were married in the late fifties. I can assure you that "men" didn't control the money completely and categorically. That wasn't the case in my family nor any of the members of my extended family. In my case, my mother controlled the money almost completely. Anything my father bought had to be "approved" unless he wanted there to be hell to pay. He basically brought the paycheck home, signed it, and that was the last he saw of it.

And I guarantee you that was not unique. No different from today. Sometimes the women control family finance and sometimes the men do.

The problem with you leftists rewriting recent history is that there are still people around who lived through those years. You need to keep the rewriting to "dead" history. Ben Franklin can't come back and defend himself when you call him a racist, homophobic, islamophobic, sexist, brutalist, tyrannical monster... but people who lived through the 50s can.
I lived through those days, born in 1948. Bet you did not.

Old 09-24-2018, 03:20 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Being raised by two parents who fight constantly is worse. That was the 50s.
No that wasn't the 50's at all. That's just something you made up.

Quote:
Women could not afford to leave an abusive husband and if they did, they walked out with nothing. Men controlled the money completely.
Because men as a group were abusive? lol You're lost.

Old 09-24-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
That is fine I’m just saying the good old days were not Disneyland for everybody
Who says it was?

Quote:
-leave it to beaver was not a reality
Who says it was?

Quote:
it left a lot of folks out of the picture
And? So? It was a tv show

Quote:
As to your personal remarks -this is a public forum we are talking strong family values of the 50s
It's about the truth and not about you.

Old 09-24-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
They don't beat you daily.
So your observation is that when one is raised by 2 parents that means 2 parents beat you vs only one in a single parent family? lol

Explain to everyone here why children from 2 parent families are more educated, make more money, and have a lower rate of crime than those form single parent families. gee I wonder why that is? Oh and try to make it about the facts and the truth instead of making it about you.

Last edited by Loveshiscountry; 09-24-2018 at 04:45 PM..

Old 09-24-2018, 04:38 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Two parent families overall are better.

So now instead of just abusive marriages we have abusive relationships too. I don't think the percentage of guys who abuse women has gone down much over time.
Well, no, but now women can leave them more easily.

It's one of the reasons the divorce rate was a lot lower. Not the only reason. The sense of duty seemed to be stronger back then, so people stayed in loveless marriages and probably just cheated instead to cope.

Not that today is perfect...I know people who break up with their partners for the most ridiculous things. There's one couple who divorced because the wife couldn't tolerate that their new dog didn't like her husband. Then I know a guy who divorced his wife because she couldn't get rid of her stretch marks fast enough after she gave birth.

In the 50s, those couples would probably just cheat on each other and try to avoid coming home instead.

Old 09-24-2018, 05:51 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
Incorrect. Even "Marital Rape" was Legal.

I wish the image below was a joke, but it seems not to be. (Reportedly from the New York Daily Mirror)
It sounds like just people giving their honest opinion of what should be well before politically correct. Besides spanking is not beating. If you spank your child, you're not "beating" them. I don't believe in the concept of "marital rape".

Old 09-24-2018, 06:05 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,226,183 times
Since the invention of TV featuring all white people in fictional settings, over the decades it has deluded people to make up all types of "confabulations" about the past. Too many people's memories are meshed with TV Programs.

Not much talk about what went on in real life... (there was no 24/7 Media to push all that media pushes today for people to emulate; at around 1am or 2 am the TV signed off until 6 am)
People were as much "sexual as they are today", maybe in some ways more so, they were just more discreet about it. There was lots of blood mixtures, far more than than even today's society is willing to face in real truths. DNA is continually exposing the mixtures which exist in reality of people in America.

That propaganda of "Leave it to Beaver and such things", was made on a Studio Set in "Hollywood", actually Burbank to be exact.
I went and visited the set as a kid in the 1960's.... via one of the Studio Tours.

What society did have in the 1950's was a concern about "Public Decorum", among white society, among black society and among all other ethnic and racial groups in societies. People kept their sexual business basically behind closed doors.

Sadly, some of the stuff people did behind closed doors is as horrendous as stuff people still do behind closed doors, especially the acts of vile upon and against kids.

People today, are more hung up on "Material Image" and everyone wants to pretend they have more money than they do, until people bury themselves in "debt" and create any kind of malice to get money... because the media tells people by its presentations and imagery, that all that matters is "having money" and getting material stuff.

Now, with the excessive media depicted promotion of sexuality, as if its some fix all, cure all, dominate all, and people run themselves crazy trying to be a Temptress, or Tempter ... it continues to make fools of people by the masses. When they get burned in the spin, they want to lay blame on everyone and anythings except themselves.

Last edited by Chance and Change; 09-24-2018 at 06:30 PM..

Old 09-24-2018, 06:19 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unwillingphoenician View Post
Women's suffrage happened in the 1920s. Not sure how women were forced back into the house and not allowed to say or do anything for decades after that
"Suffrage" means the right to vote, hon. It was a start, nothing more.

Quote:
Women worked in factories during the war.
And when the war is over, women were expected to give up their high-paying factory jobs and go back home, or go back to being low-paid secretaries, bookkeepers, and telephone operators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
They want it all - the great high paying jobs...but without breaking a nail or a sweat. Equality! What a crock of crap. Stop whining. No matter how good women have it, you can be sure they will always find something to complain about. That is one constant that won't ever change.
What a crock of crap, indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
A woman didn't have to work outside the home unless she wanted to.
Have to and want to are two completely different things. Married women were expected to stay home. What they wanted didn't matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Women could drive as soon as cars were invented.
I think you missed the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I see, so your family experiences represent all or even most the families of the 50's? That was certainly wasn't the way my family was back then.
Mine, either, but that doesn't mean dysfunction didn't happen. On the surface, my best friend's family looked like the typical happy family - but her dad was an abusive alcoholic, which no one outside her family knew until years later. I remember being more upset than she was when her parents divorced - but I didn't know.

Another friend's father would take the keys to the car with him to work every day so her mom wouldn't be able to drive the car - and he walked to work. He also took the checkbook, but left her mom an "allowance", which she had to account for to the penny.

Quote:
P.S. I wanted to add, to those that glamorize the 1950s, that if things in the 1950s were really so wonderful for everyone, why didn't the Baby Boomers do everything they could to continue the 'traditions' and emulate the lifestyle of their parents?
Good point. I knew one thing growing up: I did not want to be a housewife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
So what? That could still happen. If you don't get along with your boss and coworkers you might find yourself walking out with nothing.
Marriage and employment aren't even close to being the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Bull. Both my parents grew up in the early fifties and were married in the late fifties. I can assure you that "men" didn't control the money completely and categorically. That wasn't the case in my family nor any of the members of my extended family.
That doesn't mean it didn't happen. I knew plenty of families where the husband did control everything about the household, from spending to what was for dinner to what the kids wore to school every day.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:20 PM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Incorrect. Even "Marital Rape" was Legal.

I wish the image below was a joke, but it seems not to be. (Reportedly from the New York Daily Mirror)
Those guys look like a bunch of low class drunks.

Real men of character would never strike a woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies