Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2018, 05:33 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,705,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
Its treading downward because the number of households with guns has been steadily dropping. 47% of households in 1980 had guns compared to only 31% in 2014. A smaller and smaller group of fanatics are buying larger and larger quantities of firearms. All evidence shows that the commonality of firearms in a household increases the risk of homicide, suicide and accidental death via firearm.

This quote from the study done by two physicians from UCLA.

In a study, published in the American Journal of Public Health, researchers interviewed 417 women across 67 battered women’s shelters. Nearly a third of these women had lived in a household with a firearm. In two-thirds of the homes, their intimate partners had used the gun against them, usually threatening to kill (71.4 percent) them. A very small percentage of these women (7 percent) had used a gun successfully in self-defense, and primarily just to scare the attacking male partner away. Indeed, gun threats in the home against women by their intimate partners appear to be more common across the United States than self-defense uses of guns by women.

Then there is suicide:

A study by the Harvard School of Public Health of all 50 U.S. states reveals a powerful link between rates of firearm ownership and suicides. Based on a survey of American households conducted in 2002, HSPH Assistant Professor of Health Policy and Management Matthew Miller, Research Associate Deborah Azrael, and colleagues at the School’s Injury Control Research Center (ICRC), found that in states where guns were prevalent—as in Wyoming, where 63 percent of households reported owning guns—rates of suicide were higher. The inverse was also true: where gun ownership was less common, suicide rates were also lower.

Many lives would likely be saved if people disposed of their firearms, kept them locked away, or stored them outside the home. Says HSPH Professor of Health Policy David Hemenway, the ICRC’s director: “Studies show that most attempters act on impulse, in moments of panic or despair. Once the acute feelings ease, 90 percent do not go on to die by suicide.”

Essentially as a gun owner you are more likely to be murdered and kill yourself then a non-gun owner.
Re: the bolded. Whoever came up with that theory did so from a windowless room that they never left. Do yourself a favor: go to the local gun range and ask around to find out how many people there are new owners. You'll never buy into the bs hype you posted again.

If anything, the number of households with firearms is growing.

Last edited by JimRom; 10-05-2018 at 05:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2018, 05:40 PM

34,229 posts, read 18,565,195 times
My gun club has seen a meteoric rise in membership the last five years. Many of them are women, and first time gun owners. The number of households, and people LEGALLY owning guns is certainly rising. I've also talked to several gun shops in the area, and they say the same thing.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:00 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,213,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
My gun club has seen a meteoric rise in membership the last five years. Many of them are women, and first time gun owners. The number of households, and people LEGALLY owning guns is certainly rising. I've also talked to several gun shops in the area, and they say the same thing.

As well as the NICS back ground check systems has been increasing per month for many years, it may have level off over the last year. But that is one of the best indicators as to firearm ownership on the rise.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:11 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,112,559 times
Quote:
We are having a hard time getting range time over the last year. First time ever.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:30 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,162,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
A few years ago I heard it said that Washington had the highest per-capita NRA membership of any state. Undeniably, the state has traditionally opposed common-sense gun safety. A democratic governor even signed into law legalization of silencers in 2011. I don't know who needs a silencer other than an assassin or a gangster. I know that silencers were very popular among NY mafia back in the heyday of the Gambinos etc.

But the climate here has improved. I credit an influx of well-educated Californians, and well-informed millennial tech workers. Initiative 594, to mandate universal background checks, passed 59-40% in 2014. A coalition of concerned citizens, including Bill Gates, Paul Allen, Steve Ballmer, and Nick Hanauer (Amazon investor) generously donated to get it passed.

Now we have Initiative 1639, to restrict assault-style weapons. It's a good first step. There has always been confusion about the definition of 'assault style weapon.' I-1639 defines all semi-automatic style weapons as assault weapons. From the initiative:
https://ballotpedia.org/Washington_I..._Measure_(2018)

I'm not a gun expert, so this is all Greek to me, but I'm told that this definition encompasses all semi-automatic-style weapons. This greatly simplifies things. No longer to police have to wonder whether the gun with the 'barrel shroud' is legal or not. The one thing I wish they had included is regulation of the high magazine clips. I think that is key, but they left it off.

Based on recent voting trends in the state, I think this will easily pass. Finally we will be on the road to common sense gun safety, as other advanced states such as California and New York.

Here's a news flash for the gun grabber nuts who think they are doing something worthwhile......CRIMINALS LAUGH AT YOUR STUPID GUN LAWS......guns aren't the problem, misguided PEOPLE are the problem.....

Old 10-06-2018, 09:55 AM

50,245 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
By your own admission, they filed a report. So they have the information on record on what transpired during the course of the of the event. So the data does exist. I suspect in most cases where this does transpire their is a corresponding police report.

They know roughly how many people accidentally shot themselves with their own weapon in a given year via hospital records. I struggle to believe that such data regarding defensive gun use could be collected and analyzed. Why wouldn't the NRA or any other gun organization want this information collected and analyzed? My guess is that they suspect the information wouldn't support their position and thus don't see the purpose of pursuing it.
How would that even be possible. All the podunk LE agencies across the US have their own system. That's why only certain information, like warrants, gets shared State to State. There is no national database accessible to everyone and we need to make sure it stays that way. It's none of the business of a mayberry Sheriff sifting through data of SDPD. The data exists at a intranet level. This is why information requests are usually only filled by walk ups and filling out a form even if that form is electronic.

Again, crime stats are crime stats. Reports are reports. Crime data gets shared as a public record. "Data" for legal citizens isn't shared. As it should be. There is only a report of our own incident. I can't look up the names and addresses of the morons that rolled on my wife. She legally brandished a weapon and now that information is sealed.

Old 10-06-2018, 09:57 AM

50,245 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Quote:
Yep, same here. They have opened up quite a few new ones too. We drive to the desert to avoid the local mobs. Even there, gotta get there early to claim a good spot.

Old 10-06-2018, 05:30 PM

16,552 posts, read 8,589,183 times
I guess our OP abandoned his own thread when he read how wrong he was on so many things.

`

Old 10-06-2018, 05:35 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,144,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I guess our OP abandoned his own thread when he read how wrong he was on so many things.

`
Did you forget the rules?

People agree with me = I'm clearly correct
People disagree with me = Russian bots. I'm clearly correct.

Old 10-06-2018, 05:49 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,112,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

`
He certainly knew nothing about guns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies