Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2018, 08:09 PM

30,282 posts, read 23,772,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I didn't agree either, but I read a Facebook post wherein a woman said she believed a woman had a duty to avoid excessive alcohol use and carry a gun to protect herself from rapists. And she has a grown daughter herself! Smh. Men should have enough self control to be able to resist violent impulses. I have a brilliant idea. Let's invent a robot sex doll brothel!
I think it's smart to avoid excessive alcohol use...by anyone. You set yourself up for all kinds of problems if you drink to excess and can't control yourself.

Carrying a gun to protect yourself is not a bad idea, either, as long as you actually know how to handle it and don't just go buy one and start carrying it around. You need to be trained on how to fire it, what to do if it jams, maybe do some practice where you're rushed or pressured (like a timed course, pop ups, etc) because shooting at still targets is nothing like shooting at some neanderthal who is stomping over to attack you, or already has you in a headlock, or has pulled his gun on you.

We are back to the "should haves". As I've said on here, people refuse to live in reality. Yes, I "should be able to" do what I want when I want, and men "should have enough self control", but not everyone on this planet gives 2 tosses about you nor your rights. That is reality.

How about we start living in reality. There's 7 billion people on this planet, and I guarantee that not all 7 billion of them care what you think you should be able to do, care what you think they should be able to do, or care about you at all. Nor are you able to change 7 billion people.

Use some common sense. As was pointed out, you don't park your shiny new Tesla in a bad neighborhood. You don't flash your money in public for all to see. You don't walk down dark alleys at night. These are common sense things. Why does that all fly out the window because "I, as a female, should be able to go where I want, and males should have enough self control?" Yeah, I should and they should, but it's not fricken reality, people.

However, at no point is it the fault of the person who was attacked. And not all attacks happen because of what someone is wearing, nor do they happen to only those falling down drunk. Attacks happen when the person is in their own home, minding their own business. Attacks happen when someone is walking to their car after work. Attacks happen in broad fricken daylight - remember the 3 girls in Ohio held for 10 years?

I ask that people use common sense despite what they think they "should be able to" do. I think it's smart to have protection on you and know how to use it. I think it's smart not to abuse drugs and alcohol, especially out in public places. None of that translates to: "they deserved it".

It would just be nice if we taught people that not everyone in this world is very nice, and you do not know who they are just by looking at them, and you do not know when it can happen, day or night, out in public or at home.

Maintain control of yourself, be aware of your surroundings, and I've long lived by something I heard a cop say one time (not to me): "There's really no reason for anyone to be out playing around after midnight." (Key word: playing, obviously some people work night shifts, or their flight got in at night, etc.)

Old 10-03-2018, 08:39 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,979,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
The perpetrator needs to keep his damn hands to himself. He is responsible for his actions. Period. Don't tell me people can't "control" themselves. That's a lie.
I didn't. I don't believe that. A lot of posters think that my posting this thread means I'm blaming the victim. I'm certainly not. I was sexually assaulted by a boyfriend at age 15. I simply want to know others' opinions on the matter in the wake of the Kavanaugh fiasco.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:14 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,241,230 times
I mean, yeah, after being sexually assaulted I have always been rather cautious and perhaps irrationally protective of my body... but at the same time, why is there this pressing need to somehow dilute the blame that belongs solely to the perpetrator? I protect my self because it at least gives me the illusion of control, not because letting my guard down is somehow “asking for it”.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:16 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,391,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I'm confused.

Statists tell me consent can be given by being born (social contract) or simply by being in a specific location in time (you live in State X you have agreed to the laws of that government which claims jurisdiction over you).

So why can't consent be a woman wearing a short dress, walking alone late at night, or drinking X number of beers in a bar? Or, maybe I decide consent is given by her when she breaths. It's just as arbitrary as the other measures that Statists use in affirming consent.

Help me out. I live by the non-aggression principle where the person who initiates force is always wrong. I also only follow personal contracts where two or more parties, free from duress and with the cognitive ability to do so, agree to terms as my form of consent.

My head is spinning.
99% of the folks in here are statists. Are any of you going to help me out with this paradigm?

Old 10-03-2018, 09:18 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,638,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
We could try Prohibition again.
So this is your smart ass response to a serious question. How about we teach our children that it's really bad to drink until you get to that point. Instead, you get two people who don't have control of their faculties or two people who have blacked out and as soon as one of them cries rape the next day, it's all on the male who had no more control than the female did.

Not everything is always the mans fault.

Quote:
It's not a problem.

If you and another party can't recall consent you'll have to chalk it up to a "whatever" and move on.
Yeah, if only it worked that way in the real world.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:22 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,292,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
Since when did women stop slapping the chit out of guys that have touched them. I hear all these women talk about assaults or a guy exposing themselves to her, but no women mentions anything about standing up for themselves, or just slapping the chit out of the ahole getting fresh with them.
So, if some guy walks up and puts his hand down your bra and grabs your breast, it's not sexual assault unless you don't strike him for doing it?

Old 10-03-2018, 09:24 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,292,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
And pretty much every man has had a woman rub or press their breasts against his arm. Or grab their crotch in a bar after a few too many drinks. Your point?
Where in the hell do y'all hang out?

I have never grabbed some dude's crotch at a bar unless we were intimate and he was willing.

Jesus.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Yeah, if only it worked that way in the real world.
Well it's the most consistent answer, both morally and logically, is it not?

Ya know, I truly am this crazy in real life with my views and whatnot. You'd be surprised how often they work because when you take 3rd parties out of the equation and it's just you and the person you're dealing with... most of the time, if not nearly all of the time, it really does work.

Either that or people just think I'm batcrap crazy and concede defeat.

Whatever the case...works for me.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Where in the hell do y'all hang out?

I have never grabbed some dude's crotch at a bar unless we were intimate and he was willing.

Jesus.
How do you know, for certain, that you have the green light to clutch some junk?

Just curious because you used the word "willing".

Old 10-03-2018, 09:37 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,638,473 times
Quote:
Well it's the most consistent answer, both morally and logically, is it not?

Ya know, I truly am this crazy in real life with my views and whatnot. You'd be surprised how often they work because when you take 3rd parties out of the equation and it's just you and the person you're dealing with... most of the time, if not nearly all of the time, it really does work.

Either that or people just think I'm batcrap crazy and concede defeat.

Whatever the case...works for me.

Except we're aware of cases where both parties blacked out and that turned into rape charges.

Common sense works, but isn't so common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies