Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 04:31 PM

9,229 posts, read 16,589,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I don't agree with that. Men are seeing now that there are consequences. They saw Weinstien and other's lives go POOF. The culture of covering up and protecting abusers is changing.

We needed that. But the downsides are significant. And evident all over this thread.

Old 10-24-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Of course the male is the one that has the duty of asking 99% of the time. So a person can accept just to get something free. How about the person asking should be rewarded if one accepts the offer? All the rules feminist have are self serving and unfair.
He doesn't have the duty of asking. We are well beyond that. I figure if someone is taking me out, the reward is in my company, yes? That's why he's inviting me. He probably hopes I will put out at some point, maybe even that night. But I have no problem with not putting out lol.

Old 10-24-2018, 05:34 PM

26,255 posts, read 19,163,723 times
Two words: concealed carry

Old 10-24-2018, 11:02 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,918,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
He doesn't have the duty of asking. We are well beyond that. I figure if someone is taking me out, the reward is in my company, yes? That's why he's inviting me. He probably hopes I will put out at some point, maybe even that night. But I have no problem with not putting out lol.
I don't know too many males who are so exceptionally attractive that women would make the first move and ask them out. Most men I know have to approach about 10 women, some average looking and below guys have to approach even more, before a successful date pans out.

Old 10-25-2018, 12:35 AM

5,318 posts, read 2,129,283 times
Quote:
I don't know too many males who are so exceptionally attractive that women would make the first move and ask them out. Most men I know have to approach about 10 women, some average looking and below guys have to approach even more, before a successful date pans out.
Back when I was dating, I would ask guys out and none were "exceptionally attractive" or whatever. I thought they were cute but not some 9 or 10 or anything. I would pay, too.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Certainly, women are still waiting for men to do the asking, it's just not the norm anymore, especially since the advent of online datiing.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:52 AM

17,154 posts, read 13,033,436 times
I wonder if a woman carries a gun, a stun gun, takes self defense classes, or otherwise attempts to take measures to reduce her risk of sexual assault, is she more likely to engage in risky behaviors, like going out alone in dangerous areas at night, because she feels more confident because she took steps to protect herself? Or is she less likely, being more aware of the risks? NOTE: I am not saying she is at fault if she is assaulted; only curious about whether she would be more likely or less to do these things AFTER taking proactive steps.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I wonder if a woman carries a gun, a stun gun, takes self defense classes, or otherwise attempts to take measures to reduce her risk of sexual assault, is she more likely to engage in risky behaviors, like going out alone in dangerous areas at night, because she feels more confident because she took steps to protect herself? Or is she less likely, being more aware of the risks? NOTE: I am not saying she is at fault if she is assaulted; only curious about whether she would be more likely or less to do these things AFTER taking proactive steps.
Depends on the steps. I think what you're describing is just an added layer of security. Unless they have a need to walk through a dangerous neighborhood, I can't imagine they would. None of the above would help them if they were drunk or were drugged to the point of incapacitation. I hope they'd think ahead to that but you never know.

And it's really too bad you felt you had to clarify you weren't saying they were at fault when you clearly didn't. That's the climate we're in, unfortunately.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:28 AM

35,444 posts, read 17,347,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
Threads on this topic really only need to have 4 posts.

"Women should take common sense precautions to protect themselves from sexual assault"
Actually, #1 is still debatable. What are "common sense" precautions? Do they even help? Maybe a woman should just use common sense precautions to protect her overall safety.
The first common sense precaution that I can think of would be applicable in all business and social situations. Know who you are associating with. And if you really don't know, be on guard. And in public.

Old 10-25-2018, 12:18 PM

1,349 posts, read 666,880 times
It's been going on for ten days. Such a short time, isn't it?

Everyday, I receive phone calls threatening me, insulting me, threatening rape, slaying my throat and other horrible threats.

Since (as many women), it's not the first time agression has happened to me, I had the reflex to note every hour and date of the phone calls (of course the number is hidden). I also of course put a claim at the local police. These calls are anonymous and on my work phone.

What can I now do?

I own a business that has an open window for clients/ potential ones. I key-close the door (very good for business, isn't it?) and I'm alone.

He watches me as he calls every time I put a jumper on or comment on my clothing every morning.

This morning, garbage bags were spread in front of my shop.

What can I do more except live in fear and not get out unless my partner can get me there and come and get me back?

I REFUSE to live in fear. But I do it, quasi in spite of myself. Wearing trousers and jumpers, as a reflex, as if it meant anything...

Between all of you guys (especially you, mt1) who feel I could protect myself from a crazy guy, please teach me with all your wisdom how to do more

And let me add, I've been practising Krav Maga for years.

Doesn't stop me from beeing terrified.

So please, ô master, what should I do now? Police, friends, neighbourhood, all alerted. Should I stop my business? Wear a drape? Exactly, what do you advise?

Last edited by personne; 10-25-2018 at 12:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies