Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 01:50 AM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post

I'm not here to argue about tattoos. You people continue to ramble your personal opinions, I don't care. I'm just trying to give you a little slice of reality.

I know you like tattoos, and you imagine that everyone else does too. But they don't. Which is why there remains such a strong negative perception about people with tattoos. Which makes it hard, if not impossible, to attain the highest positions in business or the government if you have one.[/url]
Here is the thing: even for people LIKE ME who DISLIKE tattoos do not imagine that everybody else has to DISLIKE tattoos. MOST reasonable people are not so obsessed with other people's personal choice.

The stigma against tattoos is highly contextual. It does still exist, particularly in more conservative cultures and among the older generations.

Tattoos were once fringe and used to mark yourself as an outsider, they were a strong social signifier.

Nowadays it’s pretty common in Europe and North America to find people with tattoos in all sorts of professions; however, there’s still an notion of impropriety attached to the practice.

It all depends on the type of life you plan on living. Parent, professional, beach bum, etc etc, it all depends. Military members don’t have a stigma for tattoos, it’s just depends on placement. If it is something important to you, get it. Own it; be proud of the decision that you make. If it is not something important to you, then don't get it.

The bottom line: just don't be a jerk about it. Not sure why you need to play the information police here and act like everybody who disagrees with you must be in denial or something. A lot of people DO NOT care about a small tattoo, A lot of people DO care about a small tattoo, both statements can be true. Got it? WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT.

Maybe in your world, tattoo = stupid decision tattoo = a deal breaker; in my world, most folks do not give it a second thought. It is neither positive nor negative. Just act responsibly and don't be impulsive. Also, think twice about your decision and use some common sense. we also know not every person is the same, not every tattoo is the same, not every decision is the same. It all depends on the individual, and situation.

We are ALL different. Got it?

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 10-13-2018 at 02:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2018, 07:15 AM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
I have long agreed with this assessment. Tattoos are indeed for non-thinking people. They hurt, they fade over time, etc.

What I find especially repulsive is older individuals who who are in horrible shape but find the need to have to wear tank tops and other revealing clothing simply to display their fading tattoos.

Old 10-13-2018, 07:56 AM

2,448 posts, read 892,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
So you dress the way you dress or get a specific haircut or drive a certain car because the idea just popped into your head?

Who cares where you get your inspiration from. If people want tattoos or want to cut their hair a certain way or live in a specific neighborhood, why does it matter so much to other people? I’m glad I don’t waste my time caring what others do. How exhausting that would be.
Yep, this thread is jam-packed with people willfully ignorant of sociological truths. You, like all of us, spend enormous amounts of time caring about what others do, be it in politics or with your friends and family or other drivers or on your TV.

Old 10-13-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Can you provide a link to support this claim, or is it just your biased opinion?
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...-women-tattoos

Old 10-13-2018, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Here is the thing: even for people LIKE ME who DISLIKE tattoos do not imagine that everybody else has to DISLIKE tattoos. MOST reasonable people are not so obsessed with other people's personal choice.

The stigma against tattoos is highly contextual. It does still exist, particularly in more conservative cultures and among the older generations.

Tattoos were once fringe and used to mark yourself as an outsider, they were a strong social signifier.

Nowadays it’s pretty common in Europe and North America to find people with tattoos in all sorts of professions; however, there’s still an notion of impropriety attached to the practice.

It all depends on the type of life you plan on living. Parent, professional, beach bum, etc etc, it all depends. Military members don’t have a stigma for tattoos, it’s just depends on placement. If it is something important to you, get it. Own it; be proud of the decision that you make. If it is not something important to you, then don't get it.

The bottom line: just don't be a jerk about it. Not sure why you need to play the information police here and act like everybody who disagrees with you must be in denial or something. A lot of people DO NOT care about a small tattoo, A lot of people DO care about a small tattoo, both statements can be true. Got it? WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT.

Maybe in your world, tattoo = stupid decision tattoo = a deal breaker; in my world, most folks do not give it a second thought. It is neither positive nor negative. Just act responsibly and don't be impulsive. Also, think twice about your decision and use some common sense. we also know not every person is the same, not every tattoo is the same, not every decision is the same. It all depends on the individual, and situation.

We are ALL different. Got it?
It's a single thread in a forum with thousands of threads and I don't recall a thread about tattoos before. No one is "obsessed" with others having tattoos. You're making a strawman argument. It came up in discussion so people commented on it. That's how it works here. Do you scold people in other threads for commenting on things you'd rather not have them comment upon?

One thing I've noticed all my life and maybe you have as well: when people get immediately defensive and emotional about criticism, it's usually because they're insecure about that particular issue/criticism. I think that's the case here. People spend a whole lot of money and a whole lot of flesh getting tacky ink art pieces all over their bodies, many times when that money could be spent on more important things that don't involve permanent disfigurement of their bodies.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:06 AM

Quote:
The evidence is crystal-clear, every single perception of someone with a tattoo is on average, negative. Which is precisely why there are effectively zero elected officials with a tattoo(or at least they hide it). And for women the perception is far more negative than it is for men.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...-a6696651.html

I'm not here to argue about tattoos. You people continue to ramble your personal opinions, I don't care. I'm just trying to give you a little slice of reality.

I know you like tattoos, and you imagine that everyone else does too. But they don't. Which is why there remains such a strong negative perception about people with tattoos. Which makes it hard, if not impossible, to attain the highest positions in business or the government if you have one.

A tattoo is detrimental to almost every aspect of your life. They create walls and barriers, while providing no benefit. Which is why even when people get a tattoo, they almost always get it somewhere where they can hide it. Because getting a tattoo where people can actually see it, is stupid. And getting it where you can't hide it at all, is about the stupidest thing anyone can do.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...os-stigmatized
Men still connect tattoos on women to promiscuity and no man who is looking for a long-term relationship or marriage wants a woman who's been had many times over. Some men may deny that, but every guy understands this.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I wanted my Dodge Ram pickup because I saw another pickup and liked it (my first pickup). Before that I saw a Chrysler 300 and liked it and bought it. Outside influence? Nothing in my ear said buy it.

I've seen tattoos around since I was a kid. I liked them and wanted one. And since that day it took over 30 years to actually get one. Why? For one there was no peer pressure or sociological influences driving me. The timing and circumstances were right when I finally took the leap, and still took me over a year to actually lock down the artist, finalize my idea, and let it all happen.

We are all influenced by our senses of sight, smell, hearing, tasting, hearing. And that occurs with everything in life, whether thought out or collecting info over the years without thinking of it actively. A tattoo for me was no different than a car, stereo, etc when it came to the decision. What it is (permanent ink on body) only played into my placement and cost and choice of whom to do it.

So what am I or many others denying? Maybe some people do, but not all. Again, like throughout this thread or any tattoo discussion, broad based assumptions over the entire tattoo spectrum instead of judging individually. Plus, you or anyone else knows nothing about me, nor anyone else on this or any other forum aside from a "real in the flesh" friend that you happen to know on here.
Oh, but I have learned something about you: you will perform cognitive contortions to avoid the fact that your life and your choices are constantly influenced by the people and groups around you. Few things illuminate conformity more than getting a tattoo in the year 2018. It's basically a cliche, along with the defense that "It expresses my individuality!" (chuckling) Oh, the irony!

Old 10-13-2018, 08:16 AM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
It's a single thread in a forum with thousands of threads and I don't recall a thread about tattoos before. No one is "obsessed" with others having tattoos. You're making a strawman argument. It came up in discussion so people commented on it. That's how it works here. Do you scold people in other threads for commenting on things you'd rather not have them comment upon?

One thing I've noticed all my life and maybe you have as well: when people get immediately defensive and emotional about criticism, it's usually because they're insecure about that particular issue/criticism. I think that's the case here. People spend a whole lot of money and a whole lot of flesh getting tacky ink art pieces all over their bodies, many times when that money could be spent on more important things that don't involve permanent disfigurement of their bodies.
well, maybe you need to read the whole thread before commenting.

First of all, the poster's point is this: generally speaking, getting a tattoo (no matter how small, how big, and it doesn't matter what story behind it) is a stupid decision.

My point: well, I don't have a tattoo and I am not a fan of tattoo, but I think for a lot of people,it is just an individual decision. Consider the nature of tattooing, think it through before getting one and using common sense does not hurt. For some people, it is a well-thought-out decision, for some, it is just an impulsive act. For a lot of us, it is neither good or bad. Why not listening to their story first before judging them or before calling it a stupid decision?

Bottom line: Don't paint the entire group of people with one broad brush. This is scolding to you? sheesh, if you think this is scolding, then you are the one who is insecure about something.

Not reasonable enough for you?

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 10-13-2018 at 08:34 AM..

Old 10-13-2018, 08:21 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,573,123 times
Quote:
The evidence is crystal-clear, every single perception of someone with a tattoo is on average, negative. Which is precisely why there are effectively zero elected officials with a tattoo(or at least they hide it). And for women the perception is far more negative than it is for men.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...-a6696651.html

I know you like tattoos, and you imagine that everyone else does too. But they don't. Which is why there remains such a strong negative perception about people with tattoos. Which makes it hard, if not impossible, to attain the highest positions in business or the government if you have one.

A tattoo is detrimental to almost every aspect of your life. They create walls and barriers, while providing no benefit. Which is why even when people get a tattoo, they almost always get it somewhere where they can hide it. Because getting a tattoo where people can actually see it, is stupid. And getting it where you can't hide it at all, is about the stupidest thing anyone can do.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...os-stigmatized
Nice try, but no. Certainly, some narrow minded twits like I see on this thread don't like them, but a lot of folks, and I mean a lot, do like them. Otherwise, why would so many people get them? All you give is just sweeping generalizations that do not hold up to scrutiny. So again, your opinion does not change the facts.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:28 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Those tribal tattoos that everyone was getting in the early 90's look pretty stupid now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies