Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2018, 01:50 PM

39,231 posts, read 27,623,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Personally I don't care if someone is covered in tats from head to toe. But I don't want to see tats on law enforcement officers (cops). I don't want to see my local cops tatted up like outlaw bikers and presenting a threatening appearance. Cops should be prohibited from having tats unless they can be covered by normal clothing, i.e. shirt sleeves. Definitely no face or neck tats. Not in my town.
I agree with you. I think law enforcement should follow a dress code, and normally excessive tattooing is not part of the dress code.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 01:59 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,214,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
You are the one who said "tattooing is a stupid decision, period".
I said that all things considered, getting a tattoo is a bad/stupid idea.

This is obviously a generalization. But all ideas are generalizations.

Your position is that all opinions are subjective. You claim that no opinion is more-true than anyone else's. Which means there is no truth.

I think it is provably true that in the real world, the costs or potential costs of getting a tattoo far outweigh the benefits.

Basically, if you want to be successful in life, and you want to keep all your possibilities open, DON'T GET A TATTOO.

If you don't care, then do whatever you want. Tattoo your whole face, get a huge bone in your nose, get the biggest gauges you can find, etc.

Old 10-12-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post

Basically, if you want to be successful in life, and you want to keep all your possibilities open, DON'T GET A TATTOO.

well, if a person wanted to get a small tattoo on his or her back, I say go for it. My brother is a self made millionaire and he graduated from UC Berkeley. A small tattoo does not ruin his life.

This said, he did not choose to tattoo his entire face, (that would be an unwise decision)

Again, do not paint the entire group of people with one broad brush. In everyday language, a generalization is defined as a broad statement or an idea that is applied to a group of people or things. Often, generalizations are not entirely true, because there are usually examples of individuals or situations wherein the generalization does not apply.

This thread is "tattoos are for stupid people" I don't blame those people with tattoos to defend themselves. Do you? Especially the claims are untrue about them?

Like I said, tattoo is not for you, I get it. It is not for me either. But try not to say "if you want a successful life, don't get a tattoo." I can hardly see why a small memorial tattoo on the back can ruin a person's life.

Life is a balancing art, just like everything in life, things are rarely all good or all bad, all or nothing. In my opiinion (keyword) Successful people use a proven goal setting system. ...
They balance planning and action. ...
They set their own goals for their life. ...
They have a goal review system. ...
They seek expert help when they face challenges. ...
They are thoughtful about sharing their goals. ...
They seek inspiration to get through tough times. A small tattoo will not make or ruin a person.

the Exaggerated Thinking Can Create Unnecessary Drama

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 10-12-2018 at 02:13 PM..

Old 10-12-2018, 02:11 PM

7,276 posts, read 5,288,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
Right. That idea just popped into your head, minus any influence from anyone else, because that's how human beings work, right?

This thread is a textbook example of denial of basic sociological facts, starting with conformity and what is called "sociological imagination."
I wanted my Dodge Ram pickup because I saw another pickup and liked it (my first pickup). Before that I saw a Chrysler 300 and liked it and bought it. Outside influence? Nothing in my ear said buy it.

I've seen tattoos around since I was a kid. I liked them and wanted one. And since that day it took over 30 years to actually get one. Why? For one there was no peer pressure or sociological influences driving me. The timing and circumstances were right when I finally took the leap, and still took me over a year to actually lock down the artist, finalize my idea, and let it all happen.

We are all influenced by our senses of sight, smell, hearing, tasting, hearing. And that occurs with everything in life, whether thought out or collecting info over the years without thinking of it actively. A tattoo for me was no different than a car, stereo, etc when it came to the decision. What it is (permanent ink on body) only played into my placement and cost and choice of whom to do it.

So what am I or many others denying? Maybe some people do, but not all. Again, like throughout this thread or any tattoo discussion, broad based assumptions over the entire tattoo spectrum instead of judging individually. Plus, you or anyone else knows nothing about me, nor anyone else on this or any other forum aside from a "real in the flesh" friend that you happen to know on here.

Old 10-12-2018, 02:14 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
When you want to attack him so bad, but do it in a low-key way...

But really is always been a conservative idea to be against tattoos, wasn't it?
Oh, I wasn't being low key. I can attack him all I want. He doesn't post here.

Of course cons are traditionally anti-tattoo... the old ones and the wealthy ones tend to be.

Not so the trailer trash types. They have 'murica tattoos and Confederate flags.

Old 10-12-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
He still should have the right to express his opinion, you know?
Of course he has the absolute right to express his opinion. I have the right to disagree, etc.

Old 10-12-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
A small tattoo does not ruin his life.
But it certainly didn't help, right? And you could conceive of a situation where it might hurt him?

Quote:
This said, he did not choose to tattoo his entire face, (that would be an unwise decision)
No, that would be stupid af.

Quote:
This thread is "tattoos are for stupid people" I don't blame those people with tattoos to defend themselves. Do you?
If the thread title had been "Smoking is for stupid people", I would expect every smoker to come here to defend themselves.

The question is, "is smoking for stupid people?"

I think so. And the overwhelmingly majority of the people who smoke are at the lower ends of the IQ spectrum. The same thing goes for tattoos.

Basically, the smarter you are, the less-likely you are to get a tattoo, to have piercings, to smoke, to gamble, to do drugs, to have children out-of-wedlock, to be obese, etc. And the dumber you are, the opposite.

Old 10-12-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
So you're saying peer pressure is why I have tattoos?

I have always wanted a tattoo since I was a teenager, but things didn't align for me to do so. I was 52 when I got my first, and that will probably illicit the middle-aged crisis comments. The hideous (as someone called it) tattoo was a culmination of my dream for one, along with a year+ search for the right artist.

I had made drawing in college on cassette tape boxes. I wanted some depiction of me and metal music, and came up with the concept of metal coming to life. I let my artist roll with the idea. This depicts beginning to end, from my drawing to original artist idea to ink....

[IMG][/IMG]

My judgement was clear and concise. I knew it was permanent, thus searched out an artist who I think did an outstanding job. I have my tattoos for me, and peer pressure contributed a big fat 0% to my decision.

Why can't people simply say they don't like tattoos and leave it at that. And if you don't like them that much, wear a t-shirt that says all people with tattoos please stay away.
Nice tattoo! I really like it. Who was your artist?

Old 10-12-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
But it certainly didn't help, right? And you could conceive of a situation where it might hurt him?

No, that would be stupid af.

If the thread title had been "Smoking is for stupid people", I would expect every smoker to come here to defend themselves.

The question is, "is smoking for stupid people?"

I think so. And the overwhelmingly majority of the people who smoke are at the lower ends of the IQ spectrum. The same thing goes for tattoos.

Basically, the smarter you are, the less-likely you are to get a tattoo, to have piercings, to smoke, to gamble, to have children out-of-wedlock, to be obese, etc. And the dumber you are, the opposite.
tattoo vs smoke = orange vs apples

A small tattoo does not help, it doesn't hurt him. Just like wearing Jeans, or dress pants, cologne or no cologne, Totally harmless things requires no debate. It is just an individual choice he made to remember his friend. That is all. sheesh. You are thinking too much. My brother is an award winning industrial designer who owns his own studio and company, no clients has ever required a whole body inspection, meaning, a small tattoo on the back has never been a deal breaker. LOL

Your entire argument is about painting the entire group of people with one broad brush. You got one small tattoo on your back? Oh no ! You must lead a trashy life style. Like I said earlier, the Exaggerated Thinking Can Create Unnecessary Drama.

Old 10-12-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
It is just an individual choice he made to remember his friend. That is all. sheesh. You are thinking too much.
I never claimed it wasn't an individual choice. People individually make stupid decisions all the time.

Antifa doesn't think their decisions are stupid but almost everyone else does. Neo-nazis think everyone else is stupid, and everyone else thinks they are stupid.

We must establish a standard, otherwise this conversation is pointless.

Let me ask it like this, generally-speaking, are you likely to do better in life if you don't get any tattoos? If so, shouldn't you encourage everyone you care about not to get a tattoo?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies