Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2018, 08:43 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,623,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
When I had debates with friends about tattoos, this was the only one I ever agreed was acceptable. Although it should be for "personal consumption"(IE not on your face).
I agree with you. Having large tattoos, especially on the face or neck perhaps will never be a good choice. People should think twice before getting them.

This said, not everybody who got tattoos for the exact same reasons. I try not to paint the entire group with one broad brush.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 08:45 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,632,409 times
Quote:
Not all art is good. Most "modern art" is objectively trash.
Sez you. The important thing is that art is out there. Plenty of people like modern art just fine, but we all benefit from art's existence, whether one person likes that art or does not.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Sez you. The important thing is that art is out there. Plenty of people like modern art just fine, but we all benefit from art's existence, whether one person likes that art or does not.
I absolutely agree with you.

You can see from some of the posts here that there is still a stigma (or multiple stigmas) against tattoos and people who have them.

People who think tattoos represent bad decisions or lifestyle choices are going to think tattoos are not art.

I agree that there are many tattoo artists who are, indeed, artists. Many are not.

If I remember this correct, my brother got his memorial tattoo from Mark Mahoney, he established his trademark black-and-grey work, which he achieved through a pioneering single-needle tattoo style. This is the way my brother chose to remember his friend who lost his life in combat. It is really for him, not for everybody else. So it is never about "look at me, look at me." It is more about "watch over me and watch my six". My brother is an artist himself and he used a lot of art to remember his military life. There is a reason he chose to have a tattoo on his back because he felt that friend has always watched his six.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:56 AM

30,274 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
When you want to attack him so bad, but do it in a low-key way...

But really is always been a conservative idea to be against tattoos, wasn't it?
No, it is not. It might be a baby boomer idea to be against tattoos, but it's not Conservative. I'm Conservative, and I have a tattoo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Firstly, don't call me friend, you are not nor ever have had the privilege of me considering you such.

Secondly save me the pop psychological BS, you don't even know how you go about getting a tattoo, how could you possibly fathom what is the recipients input vs. the artists?

You don't like tattoos we get it. I don't like people with sticks up their ass either. Let's just agree to keep as far away from each other as feasible.
There are a lot of things that people do that I don't like, but one of the worst personality traits is someone with a stick up their ass.

I wanted a tattoo for a long time, well before I was legally allowed to have one, and well before everyone and their dog got tattoos. I knew exactly what I wanted and why I wanted it - very personal reasons. It's small, it's on my left calf, and most of the world has never seen it. It's not for the world to look at, it's for me. I've had it for 2 decades. It's not as dark as it was in the beginning, but it's not stretched out, blob looking either. I've never regretted it.

I'd rather hang around someone who has tattoos and is not a d-ck about everything, than someone with a stick shoved so far up their ass that they assume tattoos = idiot who makes poor life choices. There are a lot of very successful people with tattoos. I suppose there are a lot of successful people who have sticks shoved up their butts, as well, but most people don't like them.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:57 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,214,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
The question isn't whether modern art should exist. The question is whether it is stupid to get it plastered permanently on your body.

When it comes to tattoos, there is a disconnect between what someone thinks would look good on themselves vs what they think looks good on others.

Almost no one wants to see a woman with a sleeve tattoo. Even when it is tolerable, they would still strongly strongly prefer a woman with no tattoos at all(even if they themselves are covered in tattoos).

So while almost everyone agrees that getting a tattoo on your face is stupid. Getting it anywhere else is just a lesser degree of stupid, but for the same reasons.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:01 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,587,391 times
Quote:
The question isn't whether modern art should exist. The question is whether it is stupid to get it plastered permanently on your body.

When it comes to tattoos, there is a disconnect between what someone thinks would look good on themselves vs what they think looks good on others.

Almost no one wants to see a woman with a sleeve tattoo. Even when it is tolerable, they would still strongly strongly prefer a woman with no tattoos at all(even if they themselves are covered in tattoos).

So while almost everyone agrees that getting a tattoo on your face is stupid. Getting it anywhere else is just a lesser degree of stupid, but for the same reasons.
Can you provide a link to support this claim, or is it just your biased opinion?

Old 10-12-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

I'd rather hang around someone who has tattoos and is not a d-ck about everything, than someone with a stick shoved so far up their ass that they assume tattoos = idiot who makes poor life choices. There are a lot of very successful people with tattoos. I suppose there are a lot of successful people who have sticks shoved up their butts, as well, but most people don't like them.
exactly!

Old 10-12-2018, 09:02 AM

11,102 posts, read 7,171,699 times
Tattoos are trendy and fad-based. Translation: They're for those who need to follow the crowd and appear hip. Substance and classiness are foreign qualities to them.

Beyond that, yeah, they're for stupid and trashy people.

This is a cultural matter though, not anything political...

Old 10-12-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Tattoos are trendy and fad-based. Translation: They're for those who need to follow the crowd and appear hip. Substance and classiness are foreign qualities to them.

Beyond that, yeah, they're for stupid and trashy people.

This is a cultural matter though, not anything political...
For people who had a tattoo to remember somebody who passed away, I am pretty sure "trend" has nothing to do with it. lol

Old 10-12-2018, 09:10 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,214,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Can you provide a link to support this claim, or is it just your biased opinion?
What is the percentage of the population who has a positive or neutral opinion about a female getting a sleeve tattoo? I would bet it is well into the single-digits. Not much above a woman getting a face or neck tattoo.

A friend of mine loves tattoos. Has his arms covered, and he has even gotten tattoos for his daughter. But would he be fine if his daughter's arms looked like his? I doubt it. And none of her tattoos are on her arms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies