Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2018, 02:31 PM

7,276 posts, read 5,288,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Nice tattoo! I really like it. Who was your artist?
Thank you. Both were done by Gunnar Gaylord, originally out of Columbus, OH. He has now situated close to me in Quincy, MA, which is why I am getting ready for tattoo #3. I originally made a mistake with my first, an eagle. It wasn't a terrible one but wasn't great either.

Here is the original:
[IMG][/IMG]
What made it special to me was the circumstances in getting it. My daughter had just joined the Army (7+ years ago) and was stationed in Hawaii. She knew I always wanted a tattoo, and she wanted a rose on her ankle (her middle name). When we visited, her and I researched shops in Oahu and went out and each got out first tattoo together. It was a street shop, which in general in hindsight was the mistake. I am not dissing street shops, but they are a different breed than searching out a tattoo artist. I was very happy with it for a while, but then I began really researching the tattoo industry and realized my eagle was off. The body was wrong, etc.

The eagle currently on my arm was a freehand cover by Gunnar. I went back to him after my metal music tattoo because I was so happy with that result. He ended up doing a freehand cover and I think he did a great job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 02:34 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post

Let me ask it like this, generally-speaking, are you likely to do better in life if you don't get any tattoos? If so, shouldn't you encourage everyone you care about not to get a tattoo?
I think based on the nature of tattooing, anybody who plan on getting one should think it through and make a decision for themselves and for themselves only. It is not up to me to make that decision for them.

Generally speaking, I think people with excessive tattoos on their body or face or neck will face many challenges, but I really doubt most people care about a small tattoo on the back. So it is not all or nothing for me. My family members and friends are (generally speaking), not very impulsive people, so I don't really worry about them. I look at everybody as an individual. I can criticize the tattoo works, but I don't claim to know the characters of the person who has a tattoo. I don't make assumption about a person's social status, educational level, and such.

Wait, sometimes, I can tell a person is a former military based on their tattoos. That is about it. Does their tattoo say anything about their educational level? IQ score or social status? Nope. Like I posted earlier, my friend Clark has 9 skulls on his arm represents 9 Marines he lost in combat. He is a former Navy corpsman and he is now in lawschool. He's probably the only one I know has excessive tattoo. The tattoo is usually a conversation starter for him because he looked like a tough but very nice guy. He has extremely good manners and he is a very handsome and kind man.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 10-12-2018 at 02:50 PM..

Old 10-12-2018, 02:36 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,533,686 times
As a non-tattooed 48 year old man, I actually like seeing tattoos on people. I find them very interesting as well as the folks who get them. I like the arm sleeves on folks. Face tattoos? Not so much, but that's on them. Literally.

Old 10-12-2018, 03:10 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,215,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I really doubt most people care about a small tattoo on the back. So it is not all or nothing for me.
I agree, most people don't, but some people do. My friend actually had his removed because the girl he wanted to marry was from a family which didn't allow tattoos. He had to hide it until it was removed because he didn't want to start a schism in the family.

Had Elon Musk pulled off his shirt and he was covered in tats, what would Tesla's investors think?

But my point still stands. Unless you're a male athlete, a male musician, or you're a member of the cartel, a tattoo is nothing but trouble. The best you can hope for is to never get caught.

Old 10-12-2018, 04:04 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,587,391 times
Quote:
I agree, most people don't, but some people do. My friend actually had his removed because the girl he wanted to marry was from a family which didn't allow tattoos. He had to hide it until it was removed because he didn't want to start a schism in the family.

Had Elon Musk pulled off his shirt and he was covered in tats, what would Tesla's investors think?

But my point still stands. Unless you're a male athlete, a male musician, or you're a member of the cartel, a tattoo is nothing but trouble. The best you can hope for is to never get caught.

Pfft - still nothing but your opinion. And we all know that opinions are like, well, you know - everyone has one. But thanks for playing

Old 10-12-2018, 04:19 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Quote:

Why would Musk strip for investors? Is that generally a requirement to get funding from investors?

Old 10-12-2018, 04:33 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
I have never seen a tattoo that is so awesome I want it on my body for the rest of my life. But that's just me. Who is PJW and why does anyone care what he thinks?
That is the real question. I've seen some of his videos, and sometimes they are funny, but overall, I don't care about his opinion. And that's all this discussion about tattoos really is: opinion based.

My tattoo cost a whopping $30. Yes, my entire empire was brought down on that one decision.

People are stereotyping based on the small minority of people who have decided to tat up their entire body, including knuckles, hands, face, neck, head, etc.

Of course it's a disadvantage if you tattoo "F You" across your knuckles, or have tattooed tears around your eyes, since we know what that means, or you have completely covered your face with ink...for the most part. You won't be getting a high profile and high paying job in Fortune 500 companies if you do that. However, you can still make high pay even with all of that, you just won't be working for corporate America. Not that there's anything special about corporate America.

You can be part of a circus, other traveling show, a tattoo artist, musician, artist, etc, so the idea that anyone with a bunch of tattoos will never make any money is BS.

Old 10-12-2018, 04:40 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,330,129 times
Quote:

Your friend will end up divorced. If her family is that controlling, then he is embarking on a miserable journey that will probably leave him completely sorry he ever married her in the first place.

Quote:

They would think, "Wow! This guy has great ideas and has made billions! Cool tats!"

Quote:

Ridiculous. I have lots of tats. Mostly military stuff. And I'm highly educated and own a very successful business. Most people compliment me on my ink. Had them for years and I love them. Wouldn't even consider getting them removed.

Old 10-12-2018, 04:57 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,215,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
They would think, "Wow! This guy has great ideas and has made billions! Cool tats!"
Do you pay attention to the Elon Musk saga at all? He smoked weed on the Joe Rogan show and the investors and his executives freaked out.

https://www.vox.com/business-and-fin...st-tesla-stock

You have to understand, a big portion of Tesla's income comes through government contracts/grants. And SpaceX is almost-entirely funded by NASA.

Basically, because of his immense connections with the government, he is basically a government employee. And because of his position as CEO, he is more a politician than anything else.

To believe Elon Musk could pull off his shirt and reveal himself covered in tats, would be like if Hillary Clinton or Bernie Sanders or Donald Trump or Ted Cruz pulled off their shirts and were covered in tats. That would pretty much instantly disqualify them for public office.

And everyone knows that to be true, except for some stubborn and annoying people in this thread.

Old 10-12-2018, 05:01 PM

7,276 posts, read 5,288,966 times
Quote:
Do you pay attention to the Elon Musk saga at all? He smoked weed on the Joe Rogan show and the investors and his executives freaked out.

https://www.vox.com/business-and-fin...st-tesla-stock

You have to understand, a big portion of Tesla's income comes through government contracts/grants. And SpaceX is almost-entirely funded by NASA.

Basically, because of his immense connections with the government, he is in essence a government employee. And because of his position as CEO, he is more a politician than anything else.

To believe Elon Musk could pull off his shirt and reveal himself covered in tats, would be like if Hillary Clinton or Bernie Sanders or Donald Trump or Ted Cruz pulled off their shirts and were covered in tats. That would pretty much instantly disqualify them for public office.

And everyone knows that to be true, except for some stubborn and annoying people in this thread.
It's why I placed mine covered by a short sleeved shirt. I go to work and no one knows. As a professional, it's not worth risking my income stream for something that is personal to me. No different than a picture hanging on a wall in my house - mine to look at, not public consumption. THose who choose full body etc., it's their risk/reward to take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies