Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2018, 03:29 PM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Actually it is not racist...it is anti-union. The same thing happened in S. CA as here in Las Vegas. A group of general contractors, virtually all white, went on a campaign to break the hold of the trade unions on residential and other construction. They were very successful in residential and somewhat successful in some other areas though they completely lost on heavy commercial like the Las Vegas strip. In the earlier days it was likely a significant portion of the work force was illegal.

Not true now at all. There is of course an occasional illegal, generally someones relative or old neighbor. But no one runs on an immigration raid any more. Nowadays however if you wish to work residential construction you need to speak Spanish. Virtually all the contractors and foreman do.

And I would point out the strip construction crews are almost all white and black...a few brown but rare.
Come visit So Cal, It ain't like that here. Hispanics, for the most part are the majority on construction projects, not all of course but enough to where I've seen the trend over 25 years like I mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 03:50 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,711,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Huh? are you sure you are responding to the right thread? That makes no sense

Donald Trump's supporters are being once again psychologically manipulated...you knew what I meant. Perhaps what you do not understand is that a Democrat can feel sorry for a Trump supporter while calling them a citizen?

Old 10-18-2018, 04:04 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,357,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Come visit So Cal, It ain't like that here. Hispanics, for the most part are the majority on construction projects, not all of course but enough to where I've seen the trend over 25 years like I mentioned.
On high rise stuff? Don't believe it. Got good contacts in that business and did 25-30 years ago when I lived in S. CA. All union shops and mostly white. Lighter construction I would believe it. Split here. Neighbor who runs the biggest quality concrete operation is non-union and Hispanic though all the leadership are white Mormons. He gets no strip work though.

Old 10-18-2018, 04:19 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,847,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
You are afraid of a non-existent threat. Anything to get you focused on things that don't really matter.
Undocumented, illegal, anonymous criminals coming across our border doesn't matter? Is non existent?

Only to a non American or anti American.

Last edited by 4dognight; 10-18-2018 at 04:31 PM..

Old 10-18-2018, 04:28 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,357,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
Undocumented, illegal, anonymous criminals coming across our border doesn't matter? Is non existent?

Only to an non American.
They are not coming in. They are surrendering to US authorities at the border. Nothing illegal about that.

Old 10-18-2018, 04:50 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,668,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
It's about sending a message to the 40,000,000 poor south Americans not in the caravan. If nothing is done to stop them, the caravans will grow larger and more frequent. If the caravan is stopped or at least encounters stiff resistance, then more of those 40 million may decide it's not worth it to join the next caravan.
I agree. The issue is not this caravan of 4000 but the message to future caravans - "don't try and make the journey, it is not worth it and you will be stopped".

If, as a country we cannot defend our borders, what sort of country are we and what is the use of laws that cannot be enforced. I don't particularly care for Trump but admire him for trying and enforce our immigration laws.

The posters who oppose these laws should take a flight to Guatemala city and join this caravan and give their moral and emotional support.

Old 10-18-2018, 04:51 PM

23,627 posts, read 12,553,459 times
"Anyone who tells you that the president doesn’t have the authority to exclude anyone for any reason doesn’t deserve to live in a sovereign nation. Sovereignty trumps everything. There is nothing in our statutes that forces the president to admit anyone he feels is a problem. In fact, as we’ve noted before, he has inherent executive powers from Article II, as well as delegated authority from Congress under existing law, to stop taking in immigrants at the border or through visas for as much time as he deems necessary."

"Trump can simply shut the door and demand that any legitimate asylum claims be processed through our 10 or so consulates in Mexico."

"President Trump has full constitutional power to stop the border invasion – even without Congress"
https://www.conservativereview.com/n...N-3sasFZZxblug

Old 10-18-2018, 04:53 PM

62,971 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

That's true of most construction jobs especially here in the southwest. A few whites, virtually no blacks and a boat load of Hispanics many if not most here illegally.

Old 10-18-2018, 04:54 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,884,675 times
Using our military to secure our own country? What a novel idea. We should have done decades ago.

Old 10-18-2018, 04:57 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,287,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
They are not coming in. They are surrendering to US authorities at the border. Nothing illegal about that.
What is the purpose of that? What is the desired outcome from that action?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies