Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2018, 08:12 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,701,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Putin may just decide to put Gab on a server somewhere and offer it to you.
He has smart people that are under the Gun and will do anything he commands.

In the USA, the intelligent people have freedom of choice and freedom of association, a right much more important than the right to spew hate. They choose to do other things with their abilities - which is what you are lamenting.

Maybe "conservatives" need to start some engineering schools at Bob Jones or Liberty U and populate a generation with haters that then can actually innovate? In any case, blaming smart people for being smart doesn't see like the best solution.

Facebook, Twitter, and Google are private companies... start your own, if you don't like them censoring what you say.

Example GAB... and the harassment they get from the powers that be in the monopoly.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:14 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,762,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
This is why I've always supported anti-trust laws even though many libertarian-style thinkers do not. The problem is that you can lobby the government to legislate yourself into a position of power, which requires laws like anti-trust laws to help balance out. I hope the tech tyrants get slammed on anti-trust. With the current supreme court, companies like GAB actually have a shot at this.
Big government and big business are both sources of tyranny. When they work together in a symbiotic relationship they are particularly dangerous. I don't like how they've divided us among a big government party and a big business party who both really want the same thing at the end of the day. I've called for more robust trust busting for many years now but it always seems to fall on deaf ears.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:15 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,701,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Sure, there's always a way of working things out, but you're missing the point. Gab.ai is being told, "We're revoking your credit card payment processing and PayPal account because you have the wrong political opinion." Largely, this is whipped up propaganda and hysteria, a lot like the old Jim Crow South warning white people of the evils of black people or Medieval villages and their witch trials. The larger populace has no idea what Gab is actually like. They're being told, "It's all racists and Nazis! It's an evil place! We must shut it down!" This simply isn't true. I've been on Gab a good bit and I know better than that. Gab is basically a better version of Twitter without a bunch of uber-Lefties running it and favoring their own political point of view. They don't put their thumb on the scale for any political point of view. If all your super-Leftist Twitter blue check marks want to make a run on Gab and try to dominate it, there's nothing stopping them.

Thanks to the existence of Gab, we know a lot about the synagogue shooter's (they don't deserve to be famous, I don't repeat their names) motives and have a much stronger chance of nailing him for a hate crime, if that possibly helps make matters worse for him. I hope it does. It makes conviction much more likely as well. This is similar to the Parkland shooter's activities on YouTube and the MAGA bomber's activities on Twitter. It provides useful information law enforcement. But for some reason, Twitter, YouTube and Facebook aren't being shut down for "allowing hate speech and radicalization on their platform."

Gab really is in serious crisis here. They've been removed from both mobile App stores. This will be the second or third hosting site to kick them off. They're being ganged up on by a very long list of powerful online entities. This is all witch hunt of course, but the mentality that drove perfectly sane people burn countless women and men alive is still in all of us. The mob will try to erase them from existence forever "for the good of everyone" or so they think. Humanity really hasn't learned its lesson it seems.

And what is Gab's great crime? What did they do that is deserving of mass attack and deplatforming? The Leftist monopoly social media sites said, "If you don't like our rules suppressing your freedom of speech and favoring people with the right politics, you can go make your own platform." So Gab.ai was born, championing free speech for all and no preferential treatment for anyone. Apparently, the people will not be allowed to leave the big sites where their opinions can be groomed, culled and manipulated. Free speech can't have it's own space. The megacorporations won't have it.

Facebook, Twitter and Facebook, all have live streamed killings and rapes, promoted terrorism, and let acts of violence stay for the test of time. .
They were not deplatformed, by banking and the rulers of the internet.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:16 AM

34,256 posts, read 18,624,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Facebook, Twitter, and Google are private companies... start your own, if you don't like them censoring what you say.

Example GAB... and the harassment they get from the powers that be in the monopoly.
I understand they are private companies, but they are acting as a CONSORTIUM of censorship of speech in which they disagree. This is becoming an anti trust issue. The Tech/Social Media/Media consortium of Leftist propaganda, and leftist unfair restrictions must be stopped.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:16 AM

16,912 posts, read 10,611,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Says the guy posting anonymously.

Obviously, it would restrict the First Amendment. And we need more radical speech, not less.
I wonder if so many leftists would be defending censorship and pedophilia over in the EU Court Ruling thread if they had to do so in a way that their friends, co-workers, family members, and bosses could see.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:25 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,438,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Facebook, Twitter and Facebook, all have live streamed killings and rapes, promoted terrorism, and let acts of violence stay for the test of time. .
They were not deplatformed, by banking and the rulers of the internet.
The double standard is exhausting. But there it stands.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:25 AM

30,202 posts, read 11,854,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Requiring people to reregister with their real name and an email address held by their IP would not restrict the first amendment and would put an end to 90% of radical speech on the internet.
The feds are already monitoring everything. If someone says something that is not protected by the first amendment they can step in. Its easy to track down someone via their IP address even if they try to mask it.

Requiring people to give out their personal information simply for opining is restricting free speech. You can stand on a street corner and say whatever you want and not have to register to do so.

We have enough regulations already. Regulations do not stop sick insane people from doing sick and insane things. It just restricts the rest of us from life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:27 AM

52,692 posts, read 34,624,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
You bolded one but didn't dispute the others. Interesting!

The point is clear. Absolutism is what Authoritarianism (so-called far right or conservatism) is all about. You can't make many of them look at an issue and reason it out. Rather, as I said before, KILL all Drug Dealers. Lock up all pot smokers and sellers. Bomb Bomb Iran.

Simple solutions to complex problems simply don't work. The "conservative" movement has to be built upon something more than the ability to show how hateful and immature and insane a small sub-group of people are. Hopefully you agree with that.
i chose to highlight the most utterly ridiculous statement. the others are marginally less ridiculous.

who is advocating any of this? i have yet to see any republicans do so:
Quote:
KILL all Drug Dealers. Lock up all pot smokers and sellers. Bomb Bomb Iran.
nice strawmen.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:27 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,306,114 times
This place is probably already being looked at.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:29 AM

45,644 posts, read 27,268,345 times
I don't have a problem with private companies doing what they want... unless they are taking money from the government - then their rules should be different - that's for a different thread.

But when Hodgkinson attempts a mass murder of government officials at the baseball field, who did Paypal cut off? ... who did Twitter censor? Rachel Maddow was his favorite show. What about the groups he frequented? Is Al-Qaida type groups still recruiting on Twitter, YouTube and does PayPal take their money?

This is the problem with their "holier than thou" attitude towards certain types of "hate" activity - versus other acts of hate that they approve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies